Corvette Will Soon Have a DOHC V8 According To Chevy Documents

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-01392900-1482887347_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12-27-2016

Death, taxes, and a pushrod V8 in a Corvette. At least until this year. According to documents found by MotorTrend, a new dual overhead camshaft V8 engine will soon be in the Corvette and its name is LT5. There was an LT5 with cams on top once before in the 1990s, but it's been a while since we have seen that. MotorTrend speculates that this might be the heart of the white whale - the mid-engine Corvette's engine. We doubt it. We spotted this story at Torque News, where Patrick Rall (Who lives just outside the GM proving grounds) goes into finite detail about what the engine could be, and what it most likely isn't. The documents say 6.2-liters, aluminum, and not much more.

Both publications doubt this is the new base engine for the 2018 "Vette. That is because the base engine appears to also be listed in the service documents that are the basis of all this intrigue. Nor is the engine said to have forced induction (turbocharging or supercharging). That makes it unlikely to be the engine in any top-spec Corvette trim.

What say you GM-Trucks.com faithful? Is this dual overhead camshaft engine just a ruse or misunderstanding? Could it signal some kind of high-RPM, normally-aspirated engine for a special Corvette?

Image Note: That's not the engine in the story being built. Can anyone guess without cheating what that engine is?

I actually read this a couple days ago.

It's speculation at this point.

I'd find it hard to believe they could make it work in a front engine Vette, as the size and weight would make it tough to fit under the current vette hood.

But if it DOES make it into a mid engine Vette, GM will either make that a specialty Vette, or change the name of the car all together.

Be hard to have what everyone knows as the Corvette with a front engine RWD, and at the same time have a completely new mid engine, RWD or AWD car with a totally different engine calling it a Corvette too.

It's either or at this point. And personally I think it's a new model coming and they just put that chassis code on that paperwork to throw people off.

I think a mid engine sports car that sits above the Corvette in their line up would be smart.

A DOHC 6.2L engine in the 600 hp range as the new flagship GM sports car would be pretty cool, and it's possibly finally GM's time to catch up answer to Ford's GT.

attachicon.gifcorvette zo6 LT4 engine build.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

Image Note: That's not the engine in the story being built. Can anyone guess without cheating what that engine is?

I'm no engine expert, nor a GM expert, but those look like pretty sizable cylinder bores. So I'd guess the 7.0 liter or the 6.6 Duramax?

Why is it a big deal if it is DOHC? How does a DOHC prove to be superior to whatever is in there now? Why not run a TOHC? Or a Quad Overhead Cam?

There are pluses and minuses to DOHC. One of the pluses is making more power per liter.

A DOHC 6.2 liter can easily make 550-600 hp naturally aspirated. Something a pushrod 6.2 liter can't do.

A couple of the big minuses of course is the complexity, the size, and the weight of a DOHC engine compared to a pushrod.

6.2L LT4 has the cooling jackets like FERD's? God.....I can't stand FERD!

Anyway it's a big deal for GM to Go DOHC! They have there pro's and con's no doubt now the complexity is outside the block? I don't care either way give me a GM Truck anyday!

I get mad at aluminum. I called gm a subaru.

Now this.

subaru lived the whole damn thing already.

EA81, center cam pushrod. Still the confident choice for little flying things.

EA82, SOHC. I have built several as a hobby. A 10000 rpm lunatic given bent cams by subaru on purpose to keep it from passing gm v8s. (I have two centered... just run away if you hear it coming. Hide behind a tree or something.)

Then the EJ 1.8, 2.0.. off to dual cams.

I think they'll find skipping over SOHC is a mistake.

In subaru history, that is the worshipped one.

its like one "p" worshipped. What is up with this spelling checker...

where was I.

...and fractal geometry.. it really is a disease. Asian licks it like an opiate.

I'll be wandering off to the last heterosexual iron truck company before I admit my 30 years of smallblock worship lost to this.

Arias hemi heads for LS.. that is interesting.

Nick Arias just passed on recently.

http://www.nickariasjr.com/index.asp

6.2L LT4 has the cooling jackets like FERD's? God.....I can't stand FERD!

Anyway it's a big deal for GM to Go DOHC! They have there pro's and con's no doubt now the complexity is outside the block? I don't care either way give me a GM Truck anyday!

It's called Ford. Don't be THAT guy.

I am that guy? You like FERD...A? go to the FERD forum..A

I drive a silverado. Ford also makes fantastic trucks though. Are you mad because the EB is faster than the Chevy? Did a Ford owner own you? Do you even know why you don't like ford or do you follow blindly with the "found on road dead" crowd.

I drive a silverado. Ford also makes fantastic trucks though. Are you mad because the EB is faster than the Chevy? Did a Ford owner own you? Do you even know why you don't like ford or do you follow blindly with the "found on road dead" crowd.

Not sure, I have driven probably every model year and variants up to 350's for work since the 90's.....I guess I can't really make a judgment I guess your right..........

Archived