Sign in to follow this  
Micah LoPresto

LED Cargo and Backup bulbs

I was wondering if any of you have replaced the cargo and backup bulbs to LED. I have always used Diode Dynamics bulbs in the past because they are great, however I don't want to spend $170 on backup and cargo LED bulbs. I have Diode Dynamic license plate bulbs already because they weren't too high on the price. So if any of you guys replaced them and found bright white LED bulbs that aren't $170 like Diode Dynamics I want to know what brand you went with and where you bought them. Thanks!

Phillips bulbs. 194 for the plate and 921 for the reverse and cargo. <$50 on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

since those lights aren't important for driving I bought some cheapo LED bulbs off amazon for like $15.

still working fine today. I got 4 bulbs for reverse and cargo light.

What kind of bulbs did you guys get for licence plate, tails, back up and cargo. There's a ton of different types...wedge, forward firing, tower.... A little confusing on which to get... Do you guys have links for the exact ones you guys got?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by Jeff5347

Phillips bulbs. 194 for the plate and 921 for the reverse and cargo. <$50 on Amazon

Did you buy two sets of the 921's for reverse and cargo? A total of 4 bulbs right?

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I'll try these Phillips since they are way cheaper than Diode Dynamics.

What kind of bulbs did you guys get for licence plate, tails, back up and cargo. There's a ton of different types...wedge, forward firing, tower.... A little confusing on which to get... Do you guys have links for the exact ones you guys got?

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/22571/s/1999-2015-chevrolet-silverado-license-plate-leds-pair/category/495/

I have these for my license plate. Only $8 and they are really bright white.

• Like 1

The 24 lumen type?

I actually went with the 56 lumen. it was only a few dollars more. I think $12. They are really crisp and bright. I think it was worth it.

I also just ordered 2 sets of these for my cargo and backup lights. Hopefully i'll like them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3OTWQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by MicahLo

Did you buy two sets of the 921's for reverse and cargo? A total of 4 bulbs right?

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I'll try these Phillips since they are way cheaper than Diode Dynamics.

Yeah 2 packages. And 1 package of the 194 for the license plate. Their the perfect brightness, bright but not NFL stadium lit.

• Like 1

+1 on Phillips. Love them; great quality!

Edited by SilveradoSaver
  • Like 2

I just put he Phillips bulbs in my cargo and backup lights. Looks nice and white. I'll have to take some pictures later when it's dark outside for everyone who was also interested in these. Driver side is the LED, passenger side is the regular bulb. b7eb9f7d3d8b28c787cf3b6e75106aac.jpg

I just did mine after tinting the taillights.

You need four bulbs for taillights and bake lights / blinkers. And two bulbs for the reverse lights. Lights are significantly brighter! I would take a photo for you but my wife isn't home so I can't show you the reverse or brake lights.

I bought mine off Amazon. Got the highest rated bulbs and they work flawlessly. You are gonna need four in line resistors though. One goes on each brake light, two on each side. Stops the hyperflash. Got those on Amazon also got like $7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GNZCHVY
      I recently bought Oracle LED headlight conversion kits for my 2014 Silverado. I bought both the low and high beam bulbs H11 and 9005.  The installation was very easy, but when I went to turn them on to see how awesome it was gonna look; it didn't work.  The DRL option doesn't work and I have to manually turn the light switch on in order to get the low beams on and that sometimes works.  I can have them on at night and all of a sudden they turn off.  I then have to turn on my brights in order to have night lights on when driving at night.  This is so frustrating and I can't believe that Oracle hasn't taken this into consideration with the low voltage power requirement for LED bulbs.  Is there some sort of relay I need or some other option?
      Can anyone help me out? 
    • By Jeremy Funk
      I am installing two led pods on my rear bumper, 2016 silverado 1500.  I want to splice these pods to the cargo lights & bed led lights I have so the inside cargo switch in my center council will turn them on and off.  I'm looking for a model that would allow me to turn all 3 lights on and off without needing to be I'm park...  Is that possible?
      Appreciate and guidance!  

Thanks everyone!
      Funk
    • By xps800doo
      who has replaced their back up lights with led's? and what ones did you go with? and did you have issues with them being too bright and washing out the back up camera?   thanks in advance! 
    • By aseibel
      Last week I noticed when driving into the garage, that one of my DRL/low beam lights was out. I have a 2015 with the halogen lights, separate high beams.
      I first read some old posts on here about how to get at them. No problem, I bought a new set of H11 bulbs and went to replace them. I put the new bulb in the driver's side first since it is easier, the new bulb worked. (that old bulb still worked as well).
      Then I go yank the air box out to get at the passenger side. put new bulb in. After reassembling everything I tested it out by turning on my headlights, and lo and behold, this brand new bulb does not light up. After inspecting the old bulb, I cannot see any sign of it burning out either, no black, nothing broken inside the glass.

So my question is, would there be anything I can easily check that would cause this if it is a wiring issue? I'm not terribly worried about it now since I do very little driving after dark and I will be taking my truck in for an inspection right before my 36 month warranty runs out in June. Just wondering if this has been encountered before. I don't want to make a habit of replacing bulbs only to find out they are not the problem. Replacing the passenger side bulb is not fun.
    • By rxnotec
      Putting together a little Light guide similar to what MotoMedic did for the Silverados. More details to come on this with swaps and some photos (Scroll down a few posts).  (Yukon and Yukon XL Only Low, High, fog, license and back-up apply as GMC has more OEM LED handling the others). Some of these may apply  to 2014 model year but the bulb size is different like the 2014 Yukons.   Tutorial videos (Courtesy of CarCareKiosk and some random dude on YouTube) reflect as: * Chevrolet ** GMC   Side Note: OEM HID Color is approximately 4200-4300K. LuciasMaximus and I are playing around with color matching the factory LED DRL. The factory LED DRL appears to be between 5500K-6000K color wise.    Suburban*/Tahoe*/Yukon**/Yukon XL**: Low Beam Lights w/HID*,** - D3S
      Low Beam Lights*,** - H11 (H11-55W)
      Replace Low Beam Bulb Tutorial *
      Replace Low Beam Bulb Tutorial **

High Beam Lights*,** - 9005 (HB3)
      Replace High Beam Bulb Tutorial *
      Replace High Beam Bulb Tutorial **

Front turn signal* - 7440NA
      Replace Front Turn Signal Bulb Tutorial *

Fog Lights*,** - PSX26W - (12278 / 12278C1 / H28W) Replace Fog Light Bulb Tutorial * Replace Fog Light Bulb Tutorial **   Back-up Lights / Reverse Lights*,** - 921 (921W / W16W)
      Replace Back-up/Reverse Light Tutorial * Replace Back-up/Reverse Light Tutorial **   License Plate Lights*,** - 194 (194W / 12961) Replace License Plate Bulb Tutorial *, ** (Starts at 0:30)   Rear Turn/Stop Lights* - 7440 (7440W) Replace Rear Turn/Stop Bulbs Tutorial *