2007 Chevrolet Tahoe swap info needed!

@swathdiver you seem to know a good bit. I have a 07 tahoe. Flex fuel ly5 I believe. If I have a 2015 l85 with trans and ecu can I swap it or would I need to change other things. I ask because I have a good deal on one. Also my other question leads to my othee option. I want to get rid of afm. What engine is non afm version of my ly5? Or what engine in the 07-14 LS lineup can I swap direct or maybe swap my intake and such. TIA

On 7/3/2020 at 7:06 AM, swathdiver said:

Well, tell me this: do you have the 2014s engine wiring harness and computer?  If so, keep VVT.  If not, leave it disconnected, won't throw a code when using your original harness and ECM.

VVT was good for a solid 1 MPG and broadened the torque band, brought in peak torque about 400 rpms sooner.

So my mechanic has put the 2014 engine in my 07 yukon and he is saying it wont crank up and its not compatible. We are not using the donor harness or computer since i didnt buy that. Is there any reason why it wouldnt crank up?

On 7/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, TrillWill said:

So my mechanic has put the 2014 engine in my 07 yukon and he is saying it wont crank up and its not compatible. We are not using the donor harness or computer since i didnt buy that. Is there any reason why it wouldnt crank up?

does it even try?

also check the VLOM bolts might sure they are nice and snug(sometimes they roll out loose from the factory)  there was electrical changes for the 2010 model  that is why they have VVT (way better emissions output compared to non vvt models)(NO2)

that is why you buy the computer and harness 

Edited by bg1988

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 1:27 AM, [email protected] said:

@swathdiver you seem to know a good bit. I have a 07 tahoe. Flex fuel ly5 I believe. If I have a 2015 l85 with trans and ecu can I swap it or would I need to change other things. I ask because I have a good deal on one. Also my other question leads to my othee option. I want to get rid of afm. What engine is non afm version of my ly5? Or what engine in the 07-14 LS lineup can I swap direct or maybe swap my intake and such. TIA

Sorry fellas, I had signed off for a while, was busy with work.

LY5 is not a FlexFuel motor.  The L85 system is completely different and would probably not talk to your BCM or Cluster.  Your LY5 does not have VVT, which was introduced on the 5.3s in 2010.  You can pin and reflash your EC38 to use it, delete it, or get an EC38 that has VVT on it already.  The first few years of the 6.0 L96 are FlexFuel motors and do not have AFM but do have VVT.  The L9H is a 6.2 without AFM and has VVT. 

The LH8 was used in vans and some pickups, it has an aluminum block and did not have AFM or VVT, it was available in 2008 and 2009 only according to my research.  It was a FlexFuel motor.  Check out Summit Racing's library on LS engines.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, TrillWill said:

Well, that's not correct but I reckon you have it sorted out by now.  Any update since?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello there, I’m hoping I found the right forum here. I have a a 2009 Chevy suburban and am trying to figure out what year 5.3 short blocks are compatible with it? I will be deleting the AOD/DOD on it but would like to reuse heads and all accessories.  Thank you for any help fellas. 

• 1 year later...