Cant we talk about badges for a second

3 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

I Plastidipped (white of all colors) the bow tie on the front of my 01 2500HD at least 5 years ago. It’s got one very small tear in it when I got lazy at the car wash a couple years ago and got to close with the sprayer I haven’t fixed it yet cause it hasn’t ever gotten any worse. Otherwise it’s held up fine it dose take a little maintenance being a light color.

You only need the “remover” if you spray your dip to thin ie. not enuff layers or over spray. I’ve dipped a fair amount of stuff and have never needed it yet. Like paint prep is the key.

There is a couple good tricks and tips to dipping like warming the can in hot water for a smoother finish. If your interested in dipping look up dipyourcar.com That guy has made his career out of this stuff and he has made tons of videos filled with tips/help, he has the whole product line on his site including some colors/products that only he carries. He does whole vehicles in this stuff it’s crazy...

So far the only thing I’ve dipped on the CC is the steering wheel bow tie because even with tinted windows I couldn’t stand the glare off the chrome. I did it 2+ years ago and it’s held up fine.

That was super helpful! thanks!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, aseibel said:

I did the plasti dip on my wife's black Terrain. I only covered the red part, left the chrome edges. See the photos in my album below. I'm very happy with it, it has held up well for 6 months so far.

did you debadge the rest, leave it chrome or do it black?

On 2/16/2018 at 4:15 PM, zikronix said:

did you debadge the rest, leave it chrome or do it black?

I left the other "Terrain" and "SLE" badges chrome. I think it looks fine the way it is. I just didn't like the red logo on the font and back, while the entire rest of the car is Black/chrome. The previous owner even tinted the windows, so it really is black from both sides.

I'm on the fence on the other badges. However I just noticed my rear tailgate emblem is 1/8 of an inch lower on one side. I guess I'll have gm fix that and redo the vinyl on the rear. Unless they have some trick to straighten it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've used PlastiDip on my emblems on the front and rear.  I used white paint on the inside (red part) of my GMC logo and then used black dip on the chrome pieces.  Held up for over a year now and I think it looks good.  As soon as it warms up I'll be doing the Z71 logos on the fender and the Sierra on the door.  

Rear Tinited.jpg

I've used PlastiDip on my emblems on the front and rear.  I used white paint on the inside (red part) of my GMC logo and then used black dip on the chrome pieces.  Held up for over a year now and I think it looks good.  As soon as it warms up I'll be doing the Z71 logos on the fender and the Sierra on the door.  

5a8dc8ca42ebd_RearTinited.thumb.jpg.341482c435ca8f4c8619ea7c755dba8c.jpg
I did vinyl and just the red part I think I'm gonna dip the others

So Ive tried twice to do the emblems on the side. Im just not having luck. I looked at dip your car, and i warmed the can. Applied a coat, then waited about a half hour did that 5 times and let it sit over night, tried to peel it and it started peeling the letters. Maybe my coats are too thick?

You waited to long to peel the excess off it still needs to be tacky sometimes I even peel the excess right after I spray my last coat (it has to “break” at the edges). I do 15 minutes between coats if it’s warm out. You don’t want thick coats just light coverage building up to one thick coat. In the tight spaces it might help to use a toothpick or similar to start your peel you almost want to roll it (if that makes sense).

You waited to long to peel the excess off it still needs to be tacky sometimes I even peel the excess right after I spray my last coat (it has to “break” at the edges). I do 15 minutes between coats if it’s warm out. You don’t want thick coats just light coverage building up to one thick coat. In the tight spaces it might help to use a toothpick or similar to start your peel you almost want to roll it (if that makes sense).

Yea. I'll give it another whirl

Ok that worked a million times better. I have two letters I need to fix but over all I like it!

Ok that worked a million times better. I have two letters I need to fix but over all I like it!

Glad everything worked out for you. This is why I like this product, if you mess it up you can peel and start over.

Delivered to you via my cellular device using Tapatalk

5a8dc8ca42ebd_RearTinited.thumb.jpg.341482c435ca8f4c8619ea7c755dba8c.jpg
What did you do with the front? I think I like this better than my chrome out line black letters

18 hours ago, zikronix said:

What did you do with the front? I think I like this better than my chrome out line black letters

Front I just Painted the red in the emblem.  Plan is to color match the grill surround and bumpers this summer and do and inverse of the tailgate for the front.  Black GMC lettering, white outline and the 3 chrome rectangles in the grill I'm going to do white as well.  Thats the plan unless I get an LED grill from Rough Country or one of the other brand names.  Here's a photo of how it currently sits, nothing exciting really...

Also, I agree light coats making one thick coat then removing the excess while its still relatively fresh is the way to go. 

IMG_6751_L.jpg

4 minutes ago, Alex Hardy said:

Front I just Painted the red in the emblem.  Plan is to color match the grill surround and bumpers this summer and do and inverse of the tailgate for the front.  Black GMC lettering, white outline and the 3 chrome rectangles in the grill I'm going to do white as well.  Thats the plan unless I get an LED grill from Rough Country or one of the other brand names.  Here's a photo of how it currently sits, nothing exciting really...

Also, I agree light coats making one thick coat then removing the excess while its still relatively fresh is the way to go. 

IMG_6751_L.jpg

cool. I think im going to do that. Ill do the back with white vinyl, and black outline. and in the front ill keep the chrome and put white vinyl on it.

Archived