5.3L vs 6.2L in 2018 Silverado

53 minutes ago, emeryz28 said:

I own a 15 LTZ 6.2 and just was in a loaner 18 LTZ 5.3 for 2 weeks due to the dealer replacing a bad fuel injector.

Here is what I noticed.

I usually average around 15-16MPG in my 6.2  I drove the 5.3 like I stole it and I averaged 18 MPG, I also was able to use 87 octane.  

The 5.3 felt quicker under casual driving and the transmission felt more smooth than the 6.2 8 speed, although when you get on the gas, there is no comparison as the 6.2 absolutely screams.

I think I could have lived with and been happy with the 5.3, but I tow a boat and still occasionally like to "get on it" since I no longer have a fast car in the stable, so I am very happy I got the 6.2......with that said the weak spot is the stupid 8 speed tranny, but I believe they did away with that for 2018?

Many of us have driven both the 6.2 and 5.3, including myself.

you’re the only person who thought the 5.3 is quicker in any sort of driving style

you’re also the only person who noticed a significant difference in fuel economy

drove the 5.3 like you stole it and averaged 18mpg? There are without a doubt hundreds of people on this forum who own 5.3’s and would say that’s baloney.

• Like 1

I have no experience with the 6.2. 

But I used to drag race 1/4 mile.

My 5.3, 6 speed averages 16 mpg in the mountains of Colorado.

I don't drive fast.

Form my past experience there is no substitute for cubic inches or put another way horse power.

So ya I think emeryz28 is smoking more than cigarettes.

:)

I had a 14 Silverado Z71 CrewCab LTZ completely stock and it was a pc of [emoji90], got horrible gas mileage compared to my 16 DMax and my 18 Sierra SLT 6.2 which will not only give you whiplash but literally destroy any 5.3 on the road. I once towed a 6K trailer and got 4 mpg! 18mpg on highway if i drove normal. Obviously there’s a screwup somewhere like maybe you’re reading your new reset mpg on your mpg gauge. My 6.2 with a level and oversized BFG KO2’s gets this:6129b1acd4416b13546e82fa50a9eff3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it was because in the 5.3 it was holding gears longer under casual driving and not immediately trying to get to the highest gear and run with the engine RPM's almost at idle like the 6.2 8 speed seems to do?

I never said it was faster, I just said it had a very different feel.

I reset the trip odo specifically because I was shocked at the 18MPG, I wasn't doing burnouts at every stoplight but I was driving it harder than normal and felt that MPG was impressive.

Maybe it was because in the 5.3 it was holding gears longer under casual driving and not immediately trying to get to the highest gear and run with the engine RPM's almost at idle like the 6.2 8 speed seems to do?

I never said it was faster, I just said it had a very different feel.

I reset the trip odo specifically because I was shocked at the 18MPG, I wasn't doing burnouts at every stoplight but I was driving it harder than normal and felt that MPG was impressive.

Thats what it sounded like and was what we all felt you were saying, the 2014 5.3 with a 3.42 rear end I had was horrible on mpg no matter what and my neighbor just bought a new 5.3 Z71 CrewCab which he loves coming out of a Jeep but does complain about the mpg’s especially going from a 275 to a 285. I will say one thing though, my 16 Yukon XL SLT has a 5.3 and gets awesome 23-25mpg on the highway from Texas to Arizona with four people, two 100lb German Shepherds, loaded down with luggage and gear. Word of advice while traveling with large (shedding) hairy dogs, never roll the window down while traveling on the highway, over a year ago and still finding hairs.

my wife is averaging 20 MPG in her 18 Tahoe 5.3, she does 60/40 highway /city driving

That sounds about right