Say Hello To The Silverado's New 2.7L Turbo Four

Zane

Those little motors are cute / cool but, I’ll be sticking with a V8 in my truck, made the mistake of getting the 4.3 on my ‘14 cause it looked good on paper but, nothing can replace the smoothness of a v8 and the truck loses almost all of its macho factor once you drop below 8cyl in a gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colossus said:

not to mention the weak sound of a 6 and 4 cyl vs the true sound of an 8 cyl

Yeah the 4.3 doesn't sound too bad but, still not quite right compared to a 5.3 or 6.2.... The 4 cyl in a big ole truck is going to sound pretty dang odd.... Kinda like a cat that barks lol...

12 minutes ago, AgDoctor said:

@WilliamBos If a 6.2 does nothing for you sir, then nothing will.

GM’s V8 engines are anemic torque managed boat anchors.  After going Hemi, I will never own a GM V8 again.  

A Turbocharged gasser will be my next engine, whether its the 2.7 Ecoboost and its 400 foot pounds of torque, or the GM 2.7 GTDI, it will outwork an LT V8.

29 minutes ago, WilliamBos said:

GM’s V8 engines are anemic torque managed boat anchors.  After going Hemi, I will never own a GM V8 again.  

A Turbocharged gasser will be my next engine, whether its the 2.7 Ecoboost and its 400 foot pounds of torque, or the GM 2.7 GTDI, it will outwork an LT V8.

I guess we're all entitled to our opinion lol... I wouldn't say that my 5.3L EcoTec is anemic but, after driving a Hemi Ram I will say the Hemi was more responsive and felt quicker... What I couldn't get past was the the very dated design that's been out since 2009 and the very sub-par crash test scores of the 2018 Ram 1500 I was considering trading my 2016 Silverado and the dependability / over all build quality on Ram is still not on par with General Motors & Ford, Chrysler is sure trying and I think they'll finally get there now that they're Fiat but Chrysler products are still in third place when it comes to American Automobile Brands... Just look at their resale value & crash test scores and I am out based on those two things alone...

The power an engine produces is called horsepower.

In mathematical terms, one horsepower is the power needed to move 550 pounds one foot in one second, or the power needed to move 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute...torque times RPM divided by 5,252 is how you calculate horsepower.

The Ram got a refresh in 2013, interior tweaks in 2016.  The GM interiors have gotten worse since 2007, they are absolutely horrid.  The Ram seats are far more confortable, more legroom, sit up higher, and do not have that low slung frame that GM is obsessed with.

Ram uses a superior rear suspension, a superior transmission (ZF 8) and unlike GM and their obsession with waxxing frames, Ram still paints theirs, hold up far better in the salt/chemical belt. The GM frames rust hard and fast.

Ram truck sales have increased signifigantly each year since 2009, GM’s have not.  As for resale, thats regional, and regardless of resale, trading at a different brand dealer will get you a lower $$ than at the same brand dealer.

As for build quality, Ram equals GM in every way, exceeds them in others.  The Rams are still built simple, well thought out and not unnecessarily complex.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AgDoctor said:

The power an engine produces is called horsepower.

In mathematical terms, one horsepower is the power needed to move 550 pounds one foot in one second, or the power needed to move 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute...torque times RPM divided by 5,252 is how you calculate horsepower.

No, they produce torque, HP figures are calculated from that.  Torque is the number that counts and is what gets  the job done.  

This, let's face it, big little 4 banger is a cool little engine. And will likely be a fun surprise. But I think it's going to suffer from the same problem the EcoBoosts have, It'll have great fuel economy until it has to go to work.

• Like 2

No, they produce torque, HP figures are calculated from that.  Torque is the number that counts and is what gets  the job done.  

Dude that is a copy and paste from Wikipedia. Go write a book with all your knowledge and settle down bro.

Sent via Morse code

12 hours ago, WilliamBos said:

As for build quality, Ram equals GM in every way, exceeds them in others.  The Rams are still built simple, well thought out and not unnecessarily complex.

Like you, I am pleased with my current truck and would say the same except switching GM with RAM. As for build quality, GM equals RAM in every way, exceeds them in others.  The GM's are still built simple, well thought out and not unnecessarily complex.  The fit and finish on my '15 Sierra is way better than my '09 Sierra.  The specs on my current 4.3 are very similar to those on your "04 5.3 and even a little better than my '00 Silverado 4.8 V8.  It achieves this power on about 2/3rds of the fuel!  I think GM has a great handle on its market and this 4 cyl turbo is going to be a great engine.  As suggested earlier, adding turbo's to the 4.3 would also make for a pretty impressive powerplant!

• Thanks 1

A 4 cylinder engine standard in a full-size GM half ton.  With a big hair dryer hung on it, no less.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh sweet baby Jesus, I can't breathe from laughing so hard over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rollin:       :loser:

PS  No matter what the numbers say, for 35 years, most of the tests and reviews show that most small turbo engines do not deliver the promised fuel mileage in the real world.  "V8 power with V4 fuel economy!"  Yeah, right.  Ford's Eco-bust motors have already disproven that theory.  There's no such thing as a free lunch!  They sound like crap, and you have to keep your foot in it so hard that you only get 15mpg.  So what's the point, especially after 100K miles, when very expensive parts need to be replaced??  Leave it to the General to overreact to CAFE, right when the Trump administration is lowering the mandating fuel mileage requirements.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

I am confused.  Reading that big blurb on the 4 cylinder diesel leaves me wondering how efficient can it be with a claimed high compression ratio of 10.0:1 and the use of direct injection to help control spark knock.  I always thought "spark knock" was the premise of how a diesel worked.  How are they getting a 10:1 diesel engine to fire up cold?