GM’s Mark Reuss Crashes Corvette Pace Car At Indy Event - Thankfully Is Uninjured

Gorehamj

Reuss crash indy.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-4-2018

GM’s Executive Vice President of Global Product Development, Mark Reuss, had the unfortunate and embarrassing experience of crashing a pace car this weekend at the Detroit Grand Prix Indycar event. Reuss lost control of the Corvette ZR1 in a corner with uneven pavement. The vehicle appeared to oversteer and corrections sent Reuss into the wall nose first. Thankfully, Reuss and a track official in the passenger seat were uninjured. 

reuss caddy.jpg
Members of GM-Trucks.com staff have met Mark Reuss on multiple occasions and have shared racetracks with him. Mr. Reuss is “guy’s-guy” who is very easy to speak to. We’ve had the pleasure of sharing meals with him and informally discussing a wide range of topics. Mr. Reuss has also granted Zane Merva of GM-Trucks.com formal interviews to give updates on truck developments. At the track events we visited, Reuss took advantage of media days to get to know and hear from members of the media during important Chevrolet and Cadillac performance model launches. He also took advantage of the open track to turn hot laps in the products he helped bring to market. His competency behind the wheel of 700 hp + cars is not in question. Mr. Reuss also knows this particular track, having driven it on many occasions before this event.

GM issued this statement on the accident: “We are thankful that there were no serious injuries. Both the pace car driver and the series official were taken to the infield care center, where they were checked, cleared and released. It is unfortunate that this incident happened. Many factors contributed, including weather and track conditions. The car’s safety systems performed as expected.”

Mr. Reuss posted a comment to his personal Facebook page thanking friends, family, and GM fans for their support.  Since the post was not public, but only shown to his FB friends, we have opted not to reproduce it in its entirety as other media have chosen to do. Reuss apologizes in the post, and thanks his well-wishers, but says he let people down. We don’t feel let down. If a pace car isn’t a real track car, and if it isn’t going to be driven hard, then what’s the point? 

1 hour ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

I imagine he might be feeling a bit embarrassed........ :)

Crashes are part of the game in auto racing, he’s no more embarrassed than when a seasoned driver hits the wall.  I would take a piece of the fender and mount it on the wall.  He probably test drove the car on a closed GM track, but it doesn’t take much for a car with that type of performance to lose it “pacing” around 70 on an everyday street.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Zip said:

Crashes are part of the game in auto racing, he’s no more embarrassed than when a seasoned driver hits the wall.  I would take a piece of the fender and mount it on the wall.  He probably test drove the car on a closed GM track, but it doesn’t take much for a car with that type of performance to lose it “pacing” around 70 on an everyday street.    

Crashes aren't as much of the game when you're driving the pace car...

This is a high profile corporate dude (who happens to be a good, experienced driver with a racing license) driving their own high profile creation in a high profile manner, in a way expected, in high profile event. If he isn't feeling at least a bit frustrated and/or embarrassed, there's something wrong.

Even regular race drivers get frustrated/angry/embarrassed when stuff like this happens in a normal event. The only way forward is to pick yourself up and carry on. However, the frustration can hang around for a while. I'm sure his buddies will be teasing him about it for a while....  

Don't get me wrong- I'm not gloating at his expense: As soon as I saw the report on this, I felt bad for him as I personally know how it can feel when shit like this happens......One time I wiped out due to a klutzy move, literally less than 100 ft into the start of an enduro, right in front of everyone......damn I was both sheepish & mad..... LOL 

Just my thoughts..... :)

Edited by Nanotech Environmental
  • Like 2

This was driver error. Nothing to do with weather or track conditions. That turn has a peak height in the center of its radius so as you go through the turn, your vehicle climbs as tad entering the turn then peaks then descends. If you are fast enough through that the vehicle has much less weight on it's tires and if you stab the gas pedal (all 755 HP) at this time, there's little friction or grip.  Too bad this happened however, it never should have for a Pace Car reason.  

8 hours ago, KARNUT said:

As they say in NASCAR he ran out of talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nicer way of saying what I was going to say ... :lol: 

When you're north of 500HP,  you've GOT to respect the right pedal.  My buddy's '11 Camaro has more HP than this Vette, and he hasn't had a single incident.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

I saw something about him not expecting the car that was there when he made the turn? I figured he got on it saw the car last minute and reacted. at least that's how the video looked anyway.

Yeah, I could see that happening.

But since he did it on a world stage, we're going to give him crap about it ... just like all his buddies will for the next 30 years. :D