Gorehamj

Crash Test Results Indicate That GM May Not Reinforce Passenger Side To Same Safety Standards As Driver's Side

IIHS pickup crash test march 19.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-21-2019

IIHS has just completed its latest round of testing of 11 pickup truck models. The new testing adds passenger-side small frontal overlap crash test results. This test is important because in real-world crashes investigators find that about 25% of all fatalities and serious injuries occur in crashes of this type. This test is one of the hardest in the American market. NHTSA does not perform the test and the test is also carried out at higher speeds than NHTSA's other tests. The small frontal overlap test simulates a vehicle striking a utility pole or similar object with just a portion of the front structure. IIHS added the passenger-side test after it discovered in some research testing that automakers were not reinforcing the side not commonly tested. They tested a Toyota RAV4 which earned a Good score on the driver's side, and Poor score on the passenger side. 

Ford's F-150 is the only truck so far tested to earn a score of Good on every crash test. Overall, the Honda Ridgeline is the only truck in America that has earned a Top Safety Pick award. Watch the comparison in the video to see the difference between a Good result (F-150) and a Poor result (Toyota Tundra). 

GM's results show that the company scores the second from lowest rating in many areas. By all appearances, GM is one of the remaining companies that does not reinforce the passenger's side the same way it does its driver's side.  

Offset crashes are indeed very deadly.  I think It’s more common to strike something like a tree to give that sort of an effect.  It’s pretty rare to hit a solid object with zero give, buckle, or sway. 

Things in the real world that tend to kill you.

-Not buckled in

-Under the influence

-Inexperience

Good news for GM is that those causes are not the fault of their design.   I’m not concerned about their crash results unless it’s something bizarrely dangerous like Takata airbags.  I do wish they were on top tho.... and honestly Ridgeline should not be a comparable but it should be rather embarrassing.   Honda engineers very safe vehicles.

I get that the older design trucks would do poorly since this test is new. But an all-new truck like the 2019 should do better. 

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentleman: this is one of the main reasons why cars and trucks are getting insanely expensive nowadays: the IIHS wanting manufacturers to essentially build vehicles like tanks and loading them up with expensive "Safety " items like blind spot monitoring, parking assist, Automatic Emergency Braking, and a million airbags that Insta-Total the vehicle when deployed!

• Like 1

Naah not really.  In order to be competitive, one will try to outdo the other with newer technology so the others have to counter with other technology and thus it goes and goes. 

I had some interest in the RAM prior to seeing these test results, now that I've seen this my interest in buying one has increased... Hopefully Chevy makes some adjustments for the 2020 model year...

Is the Honda Ridgeline even a Truck?     :loser:

Why is it in the same crash test class as Silverado, Sierra, RAM, Tundra and Ford?

It should be in the small class of testing.

Ouch!

On 3/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, truckofwinandawesome said:

Ladies and Gentleman: this is one of the main reasons why cars and trucks are getting insanely expensive nowadays: the IIHS wanting manufacturers to essentially build vehicles like tanks and loading them up with expensive "Safety " items like blind spot monitoring, parking assist, Automatic Emergency Braking, and a million airbags that Insta-Total the vehicle when deployed!

The 19s are priced like TOTL trucks yet they have fewer options, lower quality materials and now it's apparent lower structural strength than their competitors.  I love my k2xx truck and won't be in the market for a long time on a new one, but I'd probably go Ford for a new truck.  

That's coming from a GM "lifer".  GM is not headed in the right direction in my opinion. 

On 3/29/2019 at 7:38 PM, Yondu said:

The 19s are priced like TOTL trucks yet they have fewer options, lower quality materials and now it's apparent lower structural strength than their competitors.  I love my k2xx truck and won't be in the market for a long time on a new one, but I'd probably go Ford for a new truck.  

That's coming from a GM "lifer".  GM is not headed in the right direction in my opinion. 

The main thing that holds me back from Ford is that they don't seem to offer any option for an Auto setting for their 4 wheel drive systems on their middle of the road optioned trucks... It seems like you can get a heck of a deal on a Ram these days, seen some new body 2019 Laramie model crew cabs for $37k in my area  where as a comparable LTZ chevy seems to be more like 45-48k but, I am concerned that the build quality and resale value might not be up to par on FCA vehicles still... My in-laws have a 2014 Cherokee and my Brother has a 2017 Grand Cherokee and neither are impressive in build quality..

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, truckofwinandawesome said:

Ladies and Gentleman: this is one of the main reasons why cars and trucks are getting insanely expensive nowadays: the IIHS wanting manufacturers to essentially build vehicles like tanks and loading them up with expensive "Safety " items 

God forbid someone survives a crash! The dollar is mightier than the life! Let's go back to 60's crash standards and call it natural selection.

You know why I love these systems? Because they are smarter than most of the people driving today. Bring on the self driving cars, the computers won't rubber neck the crash off to the side. Yeah they will run a few red lights and take out some cyclists, but do we really care? We are 'Murica, Collateral Damage FTW!

Edited by SnakeEyeSS