TPMS reset on HD or thick mud tires?

Hi guys, new here!  I have done a lot of research trying find a TPMS reset tool that will actually work with the thicker mud tires.  I bought one from Amazon, the JDiag model, which works fine on a friends 15' Silverado, but I can't get it to work on my 14' Sierra.  The only thing I think is keeping it from working is the fact I have the BFG AT KO2's which are a much beefier tire.  Has anyone had any luck resetting their sensors with this type of tire, or any other heavy duty tires like on the 2500/3500's?  If you did, which reset tool did you use.  I see a lot of people saying they can't reset their sensors, but now I wonder if the thicker tires is what's keeping us from doing so?

I have one that looks exactly like the JDiag one but its orange. Sometimes it's a bit of a fight to get the right angle/approach to learn but most time it learns quick. I've used it on Goodyear Duratracs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers (both 10 ply E Load) on a duramax successfully.

So I'm thinking I just got a weak unit.  I opened it up to see what makes it tick, and pulled the antenna out to hold next to the tire, still won't learn.  I decided to order another newer model, the EL-50558 by VXSCAN to see if it will work on this application.  People have stated it will work on the HD model trucks, so hopefully it will work on my AT tires too!  

If anyone has a good experience with a tool that works on the beefier tires, post the brand/model of the unit you have here.  I can't be only person having this problem.

So I'm thinking I just got a weak unit.  I opened it up to see what makes it tick, and pulled the antenna out to hold next to the tire, still won't learn.  I decided to order another newer model, the EL-50558 by VXSCAN to see if it will work on this application.  People have stated it will work on the HD model trucks, so hopefully it will work on my AT tires too!  

If anyone has a good experience with a tool that works on the beefier tires, post the brand/model of the unit you have here.  I can't be only person having this problem.
Try putting the tool on the rim right above where the tmps would be at. The first try at it I would put it by the tire and it'll pick it up but not as easy as putting it on top of the rim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk