What is E Assist considered?

I have a 2017 silverado with a 5.3l v8 E Assist and have been looking at different accessories for the truck.

To make sure that the parts will fit I would need to select either 5.3L GAS   or   5.3L FLEX FUEL   or   5.3L GAS/ELECTRIC

Is the E Assist engine considered just a gas engine or a Gas/Electric engine?

I KNOW for sure that the truck is not a Flex Fuel 

Thanks!

Edited by Huntere

On 6/15/2018 at 6:50 PM, Huntere said:

I have a 2017 silverado with a 5.3l v8 E Assist and have been looking at different accessories for the truck.

To make sure that the parts will fit I would need to select either 5.3L GAS   or   5.3L FLEX FUEL   or   5.3L GAS/ELECTRIC

Is the E Assist engine considered just a gas engine or a Gas/Electric engine?

I KNOW for sure that the truck is not a Flex Fuel 

Thanks!

Its Gas/Electric 

Why did GM start offering this  power train combo? To meet CAFE standards? How much better is the MPG and what is the additional purchase cost and long term maintenance costs? My in-laws had a hybrid SUV once, it wound up being a loser in the long run due to the battery pack replacement costs, the upfront purchase price and the minimal bump in MPG...

15 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Why did GM start offering this  power train combo? To meet CAFE standards? How much better is the MPG and what is the additional purchase cost and long term maintenance costs? My in-laws had a hybrid SUV once, it wound up being a loser in the long run due to the battery pack replacement costs, the upfront purchase price and the minimal bump in MPG...

I agree that considering cost factors, the gas/electric advantage isn't apparent. I wonder if there is any data comparing environmental impact?  I question if the reduction in fuel being burned offsets the impact of battery manufacture and disposal?  

On 6/18/2018 at 2:24 PM, Donstar said:

I agree that considering cost factors, the gas/electric advantage isn't apparent. I wonder if there is any data comparing environmental impact?  I question if the reduction in fuel being burned offsets the impact of battery manufacture and disposal?  

I would be interested to see those studies too... My concern for the environmental impact of passenger cars is very slim though.. I want to be a good steward of our planet but, I don't think passenger vehicles make that much difference either way..

The gm system is super simple. It’s sole purpose is to regain energy during braking. In order to do that you need an electric motor and battery.

It only makes something like 13hp, just enough to compensate for the extra weight. It really would just have an impact on city mpg.

It’s not a huge increase, but it’s also a cheap option. Unlikely you would have issues with the system just because of the simplicity of it. Would be cool if you swap electric motors though!

• 1 year later...