Entertainment Menu Control Button

Hey guys! Wondering if you might be able to help me solve a problem here. 

I purchased my truck around a month ago. Got a good deal on it but there have been some cosmetic issues on the interior I've been dealing with slowly but surely. 

One of them is that my Menu button on my selector knob for the entertainment system is cracked. Other than the fact I'm super anal and this crack is all I can focus on, it also affects the functionality of the radio as the cracked edges stop the selector from spinning. 

I called my dealership and they said my only option was to replace the entire radio panel including HVAC controls and the screen. So, I'm turning to you guys. Is this in fact the case or am I able to replace the button alone. 

Here's a pic for reference of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance. 

-Mag

IMG_20180815_210224.jpg

2 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Hey guys! Wondering if you might be able to help me solve a problem here. 

I purchased my truck around a month ago. Got a good deal on it but there have been some cosmetic issues on the interior I've been dealing with slowly but surely. 

One of them is that my Menu button on my selector knob for the entertainment system is cracked. Other than the fact I'm super anal and this crack is all I can focus on, it also affects the functionality of the radio as the cracked edges stop the selector from spinning. 

I called my dealership and they said my only option was to replace the entire radio panel including HVAC controls and the screen. So, I'm turning to you guys. Is this in fact the case or am I able to replace the button alone. 

Here's a pic for reference of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance. 

-Mag

IMG_20180815_210224.jpg

small piece of black vinyl?

Not looking to repair, looking to replace. The cracked edges of the face are getting in the way of the edges on the inside of the selector scroll knob and stopping the entire thing from turning. 

It's not just for looks, but functionality. 

Edited by th3magpi3
  • Like 1

Just now, Ak_grown said:

check out a junk yard for a donor dash assembly? maybe look for a electronics repair shop if you don't think you can repair. other than replacing whole assembly from dealer.

I don't mean I am looking to replace the whole assembly. I'm looking to replace the menu button. The piece of plastic inside.

I have full confidence in disassembling the unit, I'm just looking to source the button.

The dealership wanted like $600+ to get a new unit in which is crazy. Being that these are 2014-2018's, not a ton of them are in junkyards yet.

If anyone knows where I can source just the menu piece or if there is a company who does part-outs please let me know.  

then my question would be where are you gonna find a button like that? thats why i suggested a donor assembly from a junk yard. unless amazon sells that button with the same dimensions and color and font i could post a link to amazon for you.  do you know anyone that upgraded to an aftermarket radio? maybe they can  donate a button for you. 

Edited by Ak_grown
spelling

I see some on ebay that include the screen as well as the knobs, but it's gonna set you back around $100 at the cheapest. But that's about as granular as I see to source the knobs. It also poo poo's the idea that you also need the HVAC knobs as your stealership stated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverado-Sierra-AM-FM-Radio-Stereo-Display-Screen-Controls-Black-Carbon-New-OEM/232842196400?hash=item363679f5b0:g:XzAAAOSweUlbQ7sF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-2014-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Control-Panel-Radio-OEM/362409857588?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52885%26meid%3Dea8bcf3c3ae14509993afc83d4856c37%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232842196400%26itm%3D362409857588&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by Loco-diablo

if you can find the part (again... a junk yard might be your best bet) it is possible to get in and replace just the knob.

check this post from my build thread...  center console/entertainment/hvac

you also might want to send ravenkeeper a pm - his truck was wrecked a month or so ago - maybe he can pull it from his truck and send it to you??

his profile page: ravenkeeper

4 hours ago, bc-chris said:

if you can find the part (again... a junk yard might be your best bet) it is possible to get in and replace just the knob.

you also might want to send ravenkeeper a pm - his truck was wrecked a month or so ago - maybe he can pull it from his truck and send it to you??

Your post is what actually gave me hope that it could be done. I will send the keeper of the birds a message. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, bc-chris said:

Also, nice to see a fellow BC driver here. Howdy from the island ?

15 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Also, nice to see a fellow BC driver here. Howdy from the island ?

i noticed that!!  :)   greetings from the okanagan!

are you guys being spared all this lovely forest fire smoke?  holy it's been bad this last while in kelowna - like brutally bad.  with most of the province on fire right now it doesn't seem to matter if we get a change in wind direction.  it just means we get smoke from a different fire  :(

normal view from my place:
IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.c5392752e7c377625bbcebdfe7dbc0b1.JPG

a few weeks ago the smoke wasn't 'bad' and it looked like this:

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.4a82395ce03351d309fb14daa5e69618.JPG

for the last couple weeks it's been so thick that both the westside and the lake have disappeared

oh - i had a thought...  what about contacting junkyards in calgary/edmonton/northern alberta?  there's probably more trucks there than in all of bc!  (and likely more wrecks of 2014 and later gms). 

5 minutes ago, bc-chris said:

i noticed that!!  :)   greetings from the okanagan!

are you guys being spared all this lovely forest fire smoke?  holy it's been bad this last while in kelowna - like brutally bad.  with most of the province on fire right now it doesn't seem to matter if we get a change in wind direction.  it just means we get smoke from a different fire  :(

normal view from my place:
IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.c5392752e7c377625bbcebdfe7dbc0b1.JPG

a few weeks ago the smoke wasn't 'bad' and it looked like this:

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.4a82395ce03351d309fb14daa5e69618.JPG

for the last couple weeks it's been so thick that both the westside and the lake have disappeared

oh - i had a thought...  what about contacting junkyards in calgary/edmonton/northern alberta?  there's probably more trucks there than in all of bc!  (and likely more wrecks of 2014 and later gms). 

Yea man, pretty bad here too! Blood sunsets.

Check these guys out for your own advantage. Better stock than any of the AB junkyards and close to you.

http://www.autorecycling.com

Only place I've found with new trucks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, th3magpi3 said:

Yea man, pretty bad here too! Blood sunsets.

Check these guys out for your own advantage. Better stock than any of the AB junkyards and close to you.

http://www.autorecycling.com

Only place I've found with new trucks. 

D&M is a great place - got some stuff for my '89 chev from them!   :)

• 2 months later...