Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded

Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:53 PM, Druder said:

I've found that the people who are happy with the Ranchos are blissfully ignorant to good suspension and that's okay. Even in this thread I've seen the contentious comments from owners who can't justify trying something different so they act like everyone else is trying to be an elitist. If anyone needs a good test pull into a parking lot that has an elevated entrance that you hit at an angle. Do that in a stock z71 and then a truck with upgraded suspension. You will go from a bobble head to a smooth transition and finally see what people are talking about. I've done $1k a corner Ohlins on a purpose built vehicles and 4600s on daily drivers, both and leaps and bounds better than stock.

Yes, blissfully ignorant here. I'll tell you where to pick me up so I can experience this superior "elitist" suspension in your truck.

I've never ridden in any vehicle with upgraded offroad shocks, so I really have no idea. I'm trying to learn by reading this thread. I still don't know if I have learned anything. I'm not going to spend money just to "try something different".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Yes, blissfully ignorant here. I'll tell you where to pick me up so I can experience this superior "elitist" suspension in your truck.

I've never ridden in any vehicle with upgraded offroad shocks, so I really have no idea. I'm trying to learn by reading this thread. I still don't know if I have learned anything. I'm not going to spend money just to "try something different".

I completely understand where you're coming from, which is why I said it's okay to be blissfully ignorant. Hopefully my tone did not convey ignorance as stupidity because that was not my intent. Something like a Bilstein 4600 I would consider a factory replacement/upgrade and nothing near the realm of an off road shock. It would be great if you lived close enough to another member to try them side by side. I put them in my father's truck and when I got mine I was reminded of how worthwhile it is to do.

7 minutes ago, Druder said:

Hopefully my tone did not convey ignorance as stupidity because that was not my intent.

It would be great if you lived close enough to another member to try them side by side.

no worries, my response was half sarcastic. All I'm saying, is I really want to understand the difference, but it seems no one can quantify it other than vague descriptions about how bumps feel when driving.

I use my truck to haul, plow, etc. I'm not looking for a luxury ride. I want suspension that can carry weight. So far my stock suspension does what I need it to. I don't know if new shocks will change that for the better. That's why I voted for option 1 in the poll. "they still seem to Work/Feel Good"

Edited by aseibel

7 minutes ago, aseibel said:

no worries, my response was half sarcastic. All I'm saying, is I really want to understand the difference, but it seems no one can quantify it other than vague descriptions about how bumps feel when driving.

I use my truck to haul, plow, etc. I'm not looking for a luxury ride. I want suspension that can carry weight. So far my stock suspension does what I need it to. I don't know if new shocks will change that for the better. That's why I voted for option 1 in the poll. "they still seem to Work/Feel Good"

Ask any of the members on this site who Tow, Haul or Carry heavy loads often.

I think you will find many of them who have upgraded to something other than factory Rancho shocks or the shocks that come with the Max Tow package etc.

Bilstein 4600's are popular upgrade option for more of a heavy duty application , while also giving a positively firmer ride.

Bilstein 5100s are the same as a 4600 other than they are silver with a black boot and have slightly longer shaft/travel for lifting your truck up to 2" more.

Andy, I am not sure how many miles are on your '15 but if its anything over 50k I would throw on a set of new shocks. You can do the fronts now, or rears now and

do the others later if it becomes a financial decision.

No one on these forums would steer you wrong. Just trust the experience some of us have with our own results :thumbs:

6 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Andy, I am not sure how many miles are on your '15 but if its anything over 50k I would throw on a set of new shocks.

since I mostly drive it on the weekends and have a daily driver for work, my truck only has just over 25,000 miles. It sounds like they are just not worn out yet.

I'm really leaning toward better shocks when that time comes after reading this forum. But that may still be 2-3 years away yet.

It's very hard to quantify what shocks are doing in real world conditions. The bobble head example I initially gave is something I imagine 90% of people who own these trucks can relate to which is why I used it. I come from a motorsports background so I can list off a bunch of jargon that isn't gonna mean squat to most people. If you don't find yourself bobbing, or shuddering down dirt roads, or getting a little tail happy when towing then you're probably fine waiting until a shock fails.

8 minutes ago, Druder said:

The bobble head example I initially gave is something I imagine 90% of people who own these trucks can relate to which is why I used it.

My factory Ranchos had the Bobble Effect even when newer.

Pulling out of the driveway and over the rain curb the truck would rock/bobble side to side 2-3 times.

With the new Bilstein 5100s NOT 1 Bobble side to side!

Tenneco Factory Ranchos do not soak up bumps they simply Deflect them.

Railroad crossings are where the Ranchos show their ugly side the most.

Truck shakes and shimmies side to side mostly in the rear.

They simply Deflect on rebound and do nothing to soak up the pavement imbalances.

19 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

My factory Ranchos had the Bobble Effect even when newer.

Pulling out of the driveway and over the rain curb the truck would rock/bobble side to side 2-3 times.

With the new Bilstein 5100s NOT 1 Bobble side to side!

Tenneco Factory Ranchos do not soak up bumps they simply Deflect them.

Railroad crossings are where the Ranchos show their ugly side the most.

Truck shakes and shimmies side to side mostly in the rear.

They simply Deflect on rebound and do nothing to soak up the pavement imbalances.

Yeah, was coming down a gravel road not too long ago, grader had created a nice (terrible) bumpy section. Back end of the truck just floated left and right. 

The only thing I really hate about the "Ranchos" is the paint quality, they honestly rust faster than the NOX rust frame. As far as ride is concerned, I have two double cabs, 14 and 15, the 14 is a plain 4x4 and the 15 is a levelled All Terrain Z71 with the ranchos. Both have 10 ply tires, 17" wheels on the WT and 20's on the Z71. There is no comparing the ride between the two the Z71 is so much nicer in every aspect. Bump stiffness and rebound, cornering, rear end lash etc. I know they are Chinese and bottom of the barrel but they are still twice the shock the factory 4x4 one is. My old 2010 had 80k miles on the factory Rancho's 

My truck is a 2018, Z71, DC stock and I have about 300lbs of stuff in the bed and 880 miles on the meter.  This past Saturday I put a set of Bilstein 4600 on the rear and while the difference is not earth shattering, it is noticeable.

The new shocks absorb most of the small road "blemishes" for lack of a better term, while I can still feel them in the front.  What I'm most pleased with is the lack of bouncing when going over larger bumps, such as road to bridge transitions and pulling into my driveway.  Can't wait to get the fronts done.

The real test will come when we take the TT trailer to the coast.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...