Sticker price claims that GM installed All-Terrian tires? NOT!

Hello, 

I am new here, 1st time posting also. So, if I’m posting in the wrong place or anything, let me know please. So, that I won’t do it again. 

Let me start by saying that I just bought my 1st NEW Silverado in early October, and thus far, I love it!!! BUT!!! I do have to vent my disappointment at GM for 1 of the details on my sticker price of the truck. The truck itself, doesn’t have a ton of options. So, when I’m looking at the sticker & see a optional $300.00 UPcharge for all Terrain tires, my immediate thought (as I stepped back to check the tires) is WRONG!!  I have quite the interest in tire/wheel combinations, ESPECIALLY on brand new trucks. My truck is a beautiful Rally edition, all blacked out. Has the 20” inch wheels with Wrangler SR-A tires. Anyone that’s reading this, has some knowledge of tires. Hell, just about every guy “Truck Guy” knows exactly what constitutes a All-Terrain tire on our trucks. But, what ticks me off the most, is the fact that #1) GM even put those tires on my truck! (P275/75/20) they belong on a station wagon! #2) There is SOMEONE, that is responsible for deciding what tires go where, & why. Who thought it was a good decision to charge EXTRA $$ for these “so called” All-Terrain tires, obviously is “NOT A TRUCK GUY” 

I did notice this extra charge, before I took delivery of my new truck. I brought it to my salesman attention, & his 1st response was “Well, someone messed up, because those aren’t All Terrain tires at all” I wish now, I would’ve recorded him saying that, because as time went on, he changed his opinion of those tires pretty quickly. Actually, I believe it was right after I signed all the loan papers! That he started trying to convince me, that they REALLY ARE All-Terrain tires. Ummm.. No, they are NOT! They never will be, EVER! In case anyone reading this doesn’t already know, when your reading the actual tire size, every single letter, & or number, has some meaning behind it. The tire company’s do this for a reason! The letter “P” in the prefix of my tire size, stands for “Passenger Car” also some tires start with “LT” that means “Light Truck” it’s really not hard to understand. All the numbers & letters are reflected as to the actual size of the tire. Every tire has a speed rating on also, some of them are included in the tire size. 

The whole reason for this post to see if I am way off base with my Complaint? Am I the only one, that kinda feels like we got the shaft here? I mean seriously, I’m willing to buy a $50,000.00, truck, & for that in exchange I just ask to have a voice in what equipment goes on it. If it comes to it, I’d just be happy if in the future, they don’t put that on the sticker! Don’t claim to put a upgrade charge, without a upgraded (aggressive) tire! I don’t mean to be bashing Good Year in anyway. They make a excellent product. But, I bet if you was to ask any Good Year tech., as to whether or not this is a All Terrian tire? They would agree with me! 

What do you think? Is this a petty issue, that I’ve brought up? All feedback is welcome, good or bad! I’m a big boy, if you don’t like my post..say so. You won’t hurt my feelings! 

Sincerely, 

Steve

Edited by FullThrottleSilverado
Spelling
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, FullThrottleSilverado said:

In case anyone reading this doesn’t already know, when your reading the actual tire size, every single letter, & or number, has some meaning behind it. The tire company’s do this for a reason! The letter “P” in the prefix of my tire size, stands for “Passenger Car” also some tires start with “LT” that means “Light Truck” it’s really not hard to understand. All the numbers & letters are reflected as to the actual size of the tire. Every tire has a speed rating on also, some of them are included in the tire size.

P and LT have more to do with load rating than terrain.  P rated tires are well suited for light duty trucks, like the Silverado 1500.  I could be wrong, but I suspect almost every new half ton will come with P tires.  You can certainly get all terrain truck tires in a P rating. 

I do however agree that the Wrangler SR-A is a highway tire, not an all terrain.  I agree that GM should not be putting these on any truck with an off road package, and if they do, it should not say "all terrain tires" on the window sticker. 

You see some funny things when you use the online "build and price."  For a sample build, I have the option of choosing between:

18" P265/­65R18 all-terrain blackwall tires - $250

18" P265/­65R18 all-terrain, White outlined-letter tires - $445

What tires even are they?  There's a price difference, so obviously, it's not just which direction they install the tires on the wheel (white letters in or out).  It would be better for the customer if they just let you know which brand and model tire the vehicle should be equipped with.  I suppose being ambiguous allows them to make frequent changes and substitutions, but they don't seem to do that much anyway. 

Goodyear says:

" Our best tire for highway driving with enhanced traction, optimized tread wear & handling on wet roads - complimented by a quiet ride. "

Edited by rkj__
  • Thanks 1

Dude just hit your stealership with " that's false advertisement". And threat to blast the transaction on every social media for the next two years. They will correct the issue promptly. Trust me.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Just now, Snowcamo said:

Dude just hit your stealership with " that's false advertisement". And threat to blast the transaction on every social media for the next two years. They will correct the issue promptly. Trust me.

And then everybody at the dealership will be extra grumpy when you come in for warranty work...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This complaint has been brought up before. Its very unfortunate that they call these street tires "all terrain". They are definitely not, as you have stated.

But GM has done this and will keep doing this on all their "off-road" capable trucks. You aren't going to get anything from your dealer. You're better off to take the tires directly to discount tire, trade them in on something you want and move on with your life. 

As you can see, on my Z71, I was upcharged $150 for all terrain tires too. My Goodyear SRA's are not that.

But you may as well go argue about the Bose Audio System for $500 that comes with every truck. I didn't have the option to choose my speakers, they were just part of the package.

20181108_081055.jpg

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

And then everybody at the dealership will be extra grumpy when you come in for warranty work...
Right like that really matters... They will actually not be grumpy they will have a new found respect for you as they know you don't play games. Ask me how I know...

... How?   :lurk:
Been through it with my current truck and another vehicle. They always seem to make promises and try to stiff you in the end. Actually that's how I got my 20s and 305/55/20s for my current truck. Got em on paper and they tried to stiff me, but that wasn't about to happen...

All the truck makers do it.  CAFE, EPA, etc. IMO are to blame.  The OEs are forced to pick fuel efficient tires in the AT category.  The real aggressive tires are left for the "special" trucks such as Midnight Edition, ZR2, etc.

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

You must be a joy as a customer.  Its NOT the dealer's fault, its NOT false advertisement per say either.  The dealer has NOTHING to do with what tire GM puts on the trucks. 

• Like 6

All the truck makers do it.  CAFE, EPA, etc. IMO are to blame.  The OEs are forced to pick fuel efficient tires in the AT category.  The real aggressive tires are left for the "special" trucks such as Midnight Edition, ZR2, etc.

You must be a joy as a customer.  Its NOT the dealer's fault, its NOT false advertisement per say either.  The dealer has NOTHING to do with what tire GM puts on the trucks. 
Who ever sells a product and the product is not as stated is at fault. How ever you want to spin it.

1 minute ago, Snowcamo said:

Who ever sells a product and the product is not as stated is at fault. How ever you want to spin it.

yeah, its unfortunate that they do this. But its industry wide. No truck comes off the line with a real off-road tires anymore. If you don't like it, negotiate with your dealer to put tires you like on it before you buy it, or swap them on your own afterward. Going back to your dealer after you purchased to complain about the tires is pointless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkj__ said:

P and LT have more to do with load rating than terrain.  P rated tires are well suited for light duty trucks, like the Silverado 1500.  I could be wrong, but I suspect almost every new half ton will come with P tires.  You can certainly get all terrain truck tires in a P rating. 

I do however agree that the Wrangler SR-A is a highway tire, not an all terrain.  I agree that GM should not be putting these on any truck with an off road package, and if they do, it should not say "all terrain tires" on the window sticker. 

You see some funny things when you use the online "build and price."  For a sample build, I have the option of choosing between:

18" P265/­65R18 all-terrain blackwall tires - $250

18" P265/­65R18 all-terrain, White outlined-letter tires - $445

What tires even are they?  There's a price difference, so obviously, it's not just which direction they install the tires on the wheel (white letters in or out).  It would be better for the customer if they just let you know which brand and model tire the vehicle should be equipped with.  I suppose being ambiguous allows them to make frequent changes and substitutions, but they don't seem to do that much anyway. 

Goodyear says:

" Our best tire for highway driving with enhanced traction, optimized tread wear & handling on wet roads - complimented by a quiet ride. "

58 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Been through it with my current truck and another vehicle. They always seem to make promises and try to stiff you in the end. Actually that's how I got my 20s and 305/55/20s for my current truck. Got em on paper and they tried to stiff me, but that wasn't about to happen...

58 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

So, where do I go with my complaint, that will actually make a difference? I tried raising hell @ the dealership, they could’ve cared less. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Silverado. But, at least as far as I am concerned a truck, just isn’t as much of a truck, when it’s limited to the highway! If i try taking my new truck off road with the current Wrangler SR-A’s, I will get 1 thing, STUCK! It don’t matter what you drive, if it’s a Lincoln Mark V, if it has BF Goodrich All Terrian tire on it, it’s going through my than truck, ever will!  I want a truck, that when people see it, they know it’s work horse! 

Not only that, it isn’t uncommon for me to get a call or text on many given weekend, to go pull a friend out of a muddy trial. If that happens anytime soon, the best I got is offering a push maybe? Lol!

This issue is not new.  The tires that come on new trucks are not what I would purchase from a tire dealer.  If you don't have Z71, they upcharge for Blackwall "All Terrain".  They upcharge again (even with Z71) if you get OWL.  It's a stretch to call the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A an All Terrain tire because they are certainly not a BFG AT or other popular AT tires. 

In the past, I have removed OEM tires immediately and purchased what I want from a tire dealer.  You can usually get $300 - $500 from someone on Craigslist for the new tires removed from your truck. 

As someone else mentioned, "before signing papers" you can possibly negotiate upgraded tires with the dealer prior to delivery. 

• Thanks 1

So, where do I go with my complaint, that will actually make a difference? I tried raising hell @ the dealership, they could’ve cared less. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Silverado. But, at least as far as I am concerned a truck, just isn’t as much of a truck, when it’s limited to the highway! If i try taking my new truck off road with the current Wrangler SR-A’s, I will get 1 thing, STUCK! It don’t matter what you drive, if it’s a Lincoln Mark V, if it has BF Goodrich All Terrian tire on it, it’s going through my than truck, ever will!  I want a truck, that when people see it, they know it’s work horse! 
Not only that, it isn’t uncommon for me to get a call or text on many given weekend, to go pull a friend out of a muddy trial. If that happens anytime soon, the best I got is offering a push maybe? Lol!

Unfortunately you won’t make a difference. Your just another fish in the sea as we all are. Next time show your support with your wallet and buy Ford, Ram or Toyota. It will still make no difference but you can feel better about the 50k you just dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk