Who would be interested in a 3.0L Duramax Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?

It turns itself off when you stop. It reduces power to run Regen to clean the clogged CAT from the stop and starts that are plugging it up. You have to pass your exit on the highway and keep driving until Regen stops.

Read the Equinox Diesel forums. 

It will use 0w20 oil and have a greater chance of engine runaway with the key off. With the engine sucking in oil from a turbo seal, as its fuel source  til it goes boom.

Currently only Fiat has a diesel in Italy running on 0w20 oil. I think that oil is a bad idea for a diesel engine that can run on its own oil, if a turbo seal goes bad. Achilles heal.

Edited by Paintor

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 6:56 AM, S P said:

I just traded our 2012 BMW X5 diesel (3.0L Inline-6 asymmetrical twin-turbo, 265hp, 425tq) for a 2018 Suburban. The turbodiesel performed brilliantly in that 5200 lb SUV, and you could easily get 26-28 mpg on road trips, and it did north of 20 mpg average in local driving. I've been saying for years that a lot of these mid to large-sized SUVs are just screaming for 6-cylinder class diesel engines, so it's nice to finally see them popping up. I'd love to see this engine be an option in the next gen Suburban/Tahoe and the Yukons. Who else?

Me me me me.  A diesel 4WD 'hoe would be the perfect 'company car' for checking leases and getting in and out of drilling locations, especially since they have fuel on-site.    

Edited by MaverickZ71

On 11/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, newdude said:

I think an oil burning Suburban would be a nice addition.  GM came close in 2009-2010 with the stillborn 4.5 Duramax V8 for the Suburban 3/4 ton, but otherwise there hasn't been a factory diesel burb since 1999. 

Yeah, I waited years for that 4.5L diesel that never came.  They had it all ready to begin production, too.  

• 6 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, ILSilverado said:

Let’s hope GM lets the big SUVs have the 3.0 diesel it’s an amazing motor.

They did announce it at the recent Yukon reveal. 

From https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/suvs/introducing-the-2021-yukon 

The 2021 powertrain lineup now features two enhanced gas engines and an all-new segment exclusive Duramax® diesel†. Regardless of your choice of powertrain, each one is paired with a standard 10-speed automatic transmission and have been engineered to deliver the capability you need.

Standard for Yukon trims SLE, SLT and AT4 is the 5.3L EcoTec V8 engine , which offers 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque. The standard powertrain for Yukon Denali is the 6.2L EcoTec V8 engine, giving you a best-in-class 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque. Both feature a Dynamic Fuel Management system, which allows an engine to turn cylinders off when driving in situations that don’t require full power, like cruising on the freeway.

For those who desire the extensive driving range and capability of a diesel engine, the new Duramax® 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I-6 is available for Yukon trims SLE, SLT and Denali.

3 hours ago, redwngr said:

They did announce it at the recent Yukon reveal. 

From https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/suvs/introducing-the-2021-yukon 

The 2021 powertrain lineup now features two enhanced gas engines and an all-new segment exclusive Duramax® diesel†. Regardless of your choice of powertrain, each one is paired with a standard 10-speed automatic transmission and have been engineered to deliver the capability you need.

Standard for Yukon trims SLE, SLT and AT4 is the 5.3L EcoTec V8 engine , which offers 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque. The standard powertrain for Yukon Denali is the 6.2L EcoTec V8 engine, giving you a best-in-class 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque. Both feature a Dynamic Fuel Management system, which allows an engine to turn cylinders off when driving in situations that don’t require full power, like cruising on the freeway.

For those who desire the extensive driving range and capability of a diesel engine, the new Duramax® 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I-6 is available for Yukon trims SLE, SLT and Denali.

Hallelujah!