Anyone start tearing down a 2019 to install sound system?

I don't have any system off pops. I've had those in the past, usually caused by a ground loop & using a ground loop isolator or a 12V relay on the remote turn on wire solves the issue. Nav-TV does recommend using one in the manual, & I would've anyway as I'm turning on both an amp and a cooling fan, so maybe that's why I don't have the turn off pops issue.

I do have some audio squeal from the speakers, but only with the volume all the way up and the music paused, even then you have to strain to hear it. It almost sounds like the old radio squeal when you'd try to tune in a radio station. I'm guessing it's a byproduct of the digital to analog conversion.

As for the chime delay, it seems to be about 2 seconds from door open to my cooling fan kicking on and the chime tones activating. 

So far haven't had any issues with losing audio or it just outright dying, so knock on wood. The engineer at Nav-TV told me they had chips from their supplier that had 2 different tolerance specs. Some were on spec, some were in tolerance, meaning their we close to spec but a little bit off. They have software patches for each, but since they're not easy to identify without hooking them up to testing equipment, they'd have to try one patch & if it doesn't fix the issue try the other one. Some may argue they should've forced the supplier to supply them with the correct on spec chips, but unless you're a large company, you're at the mercy of the chip suppliers. That or you'll pay a ton to get tighter tolerances in my experiences.

JM, thanks yes I do recall ignoring that in the manual. I knew there is a solution and I do need to look into it. I turn my truck on and off 30 times a day and that adds up.

Thanks for the direction [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, cmysstailights said:

Yes, got rid of the factory radio. I went with pioneer avic8400nex. And use all of the features. Everything i needed for upgrade came to just over 900. I have a high country 2500.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

does the trailering app work in the new headunit? any features lost? 

On 12/23/2020 at 6:31 PM, cmysstailights said:

Yes, got rid of the factory radio. I went with pioneer avic8400nex. And use all of the features. Everything i needed for upgrade came to just over 900. I have a high country 2500.

Is yours a 2019 or 2020? I know from PAC Audio's website that the 2019 Silverado HD (2500/3500) still use the same interface as the previous years. They don't list hardly anything for the 2020, but I'd imagine it's the same, the HDs are usually 2 years behind in terms of changing the audio systems & interfaces. That's why you were able to swap out the radio. Talked with a few places (install shops & aftermarket stereo companies) and they're saying they don't expect to be able to swap out radios on future vehicles because GM keeps running more & more essential functions through them.

24 minutes ago, JMO76 said:

Is yours a 2019 or 2020? I know from PAC Audio's website that the 2019 Silverado HD (2500/3500) still use the same interface as the previous years. They don't list hardly anything for the 2020, but I'd imagine it's the same, the HDs are usually 2 years behind in terms of changing the audio systems & interfaces. That's why you were able to swap out the radio. Talked with a few places (install shops & aftermarket stereo companies) and they're saying they don't expect to be able to swap out radios on future vehicles because GM keeps running more & more essential functions through them.

had a sneaking suspicion that would be an issue.....damn back to the DSP route I guess....Are there any DSP's out there that do not require a separate volume control? Had one years ago on a mustang and it sounded weird if you used the factory volume and I want to avoid that issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 5:54 PM, JMO76 said:

I don't have any system off pops. I've had those in the past, usually caused by a ground loop & using a ground loop isolator or a 12V relay on the remote turn on wire solves the issue. Nav-TV does recommend using one in the manual, & I would've anyway as I'm turning on both an amp and a cooling fan, so maybe that's why I don't have the turn off pops issue.

I do have some audio squeal from the speakers, but only with the volume all the way up and the music paused, even then you have to strain to hear it. It almost sounds like the old radio squeal when you'd try to tune in a radio station. I'm guessing it's a byproduct of the digital to analog conversion.

As for the chime delay, it seems to be about 2 seconds from door open to my cooling fan kicking on and the chime tones activating. 

So far haven't had any issues with losing audio or it just outright dying, so knock on wood. The engineer at Nav-TV told me they had chips from their supplier that had 2 different tolerance specs. Some were on spec, some were in tolerance, meaning their we close to spec but a little bit off. They have software patches for each, but since they're not easy to identify without hooking them up to testing equipment, they'd have to try one patch & if it doesn't fix the issue try the other one. Some may argue they should've forced the supplier to supply them with the correct on spec chips, but unless you're a large company, you're at the mercy of the chip suppliers. That or you'll pay a ton to get tighter tolerances in my experiences.

I still have problems with my NAVTV.  They swapped a new unit with me and still had the same problems every one else mentions.  Then I swapped to analog setup (had toslink) and installed the newest software update last week but I’m still getting completely dropped sound periodically where I have to reset the system (have a toggle switch installed just for this reason).  I don’t think it’s fair to sell a $600 unit like this that requires advanced electronics training to get it to work.  I’m going to contact the company tomorrow but I’m not optimistic they’ll solve the problem since they often don’t respond to emails.  If you guys have any suggestions I’m all ears.

16 minutes ago, TNAT4 said:

I still have problems with my NAVTV.  They swapped a new unit with me and still had the same problems every one else mentions.  Then I swapped to analog setup (had toslink) and installed the newest software update last week but I’m still getting completely dropped sound periodically where I have to reset the system (have a toggle switch installed just for this reason).  I don’t think it’s fair to sell a $600 unit like this that requires advanced electronics training to get it to work.  I’m going to contact the company tomorrow but I’m not optimistic they’ll solve the problem since they often don’t respond to emails.  If you guys have any suggestions I’m all ears.

I've never emailed them, I always call them since I don't prefer to type and I also don't have to do several back & forth emails that can usually be accomplished with one phone call. 

I also have a toggle switch installed but so far haven't had to use it. My trips range from once a week to a nearby town about 30 miles away to monthly or sometimes bi monthly trips to a larger city about 80 miles away. In either case the stereo is running the entire time.

As for requiring advanced electronics training to get it to work, this isn't something simple like an amplifier or line out converter. This is essentially a digital to analog converter, something that you only used to see inside CD players. When I went to school for electronics, I remember my instructor telling me about being at a trade show when the first CD players came out. He said with everything that needs to happen to get audio out to the sound system, it shouldn't work as well as it did. And back then, many times it didn't as early CD players had quite a few quirks/issues. Add to that that this device is engineered with no help from the manufacturer so they're kinda flying blind. But make no mistake, this is delicate & complicated hardware, and when there are issues, it's not meant for non technical people to deal with. Just as with the vehicles themselves, these auto manufacturers have engineered them so that most people can't deal with issues they have. Even prior to computers in vehicles, there was a good chunk of the population that weren't able to even service their own vehicles. But getting back to the matter at hand, it just baffles me why the OEMs couldn't just have a pair of front & rear RCA's for customers to hookup after market equipment, it wouldn't be that costly when you consider the cost of these trucks, and would make things millions of times easier. But considering they're even making it impossible anymore to adjust the onboard computer for tuning the fuel injection/timing on these engines, that will never happen. 

As for what you should do, I would call them instead of emailing, that way any questions you have can be answered right away & vice versa, & any new questions that come up in the conversation can be as well. I'd also advise not getting angry or yelling, but make sure they understand that you've spent a good chunk of change and expect it to work. If they can't do that ask for a refund & if they say they can't, I usually threaten to contact either the Better Business Bureau or my local state's attorney, both of which are there to protect consumers in such matters. You can even mention posting your experience with them to forums such as these, because no company wants bad PR and it would undoubtedly cost them some potential sales. While it may not fix your issue, getting a refund at least means you won't be out the $600 for their product.

As for alternative products, there's JL Audio's Fix 82 for adding a subwoofer (2 channel outputs) or Fix 86 if you want add amplifiers for all your speakers (6 channel outputs). They convert the speaker level output from the Bose amp to line level to feed aftermarket amps. The JL Audio pieces are nice in that they are able to eliminate any time delay, crossover, & equalization modifications implemented by the Bose system. You can also go with products from Audio Control which also convert speaker level to line level, but any modifications to the audio signal made by the Bose amp will still be present, so you might be fighting with that. In either case, it won't be as clean if a signal as what the Nav-TV has, because you're taking a speaker level signal down to line level, then re-amplifying it, which will introduce some noise into the system. I'm not familiar with any other products that convert the digital Can-Bus to analog audio like the Nav-TV does, except for PAC Audio's Amp-Pro line, but last I checked they don't have anything for the 2019 & newer GM 1500 series trucks (they do have one for the 2500 & 3500 series trucks, but they apparently still use the same setup as the previous generation). That's all I can tell you on the matter. Good luck.

does the trailering app work in the new headunit? any features lost? 
I dont have the trailering app, its a 15 2500. I lost no menu functions. Did gain wireless aa, mirrorlink with full phone control, 2 camera inputs, dvd, rear entertainment. For me it was a win win. No radio issue like i had with the stock unit.

I have a 15 with bose. I did a write up of my experience. I needed gm3 harness, rr maestro, and since i didnt use the alpine interface i used amp bypass harness and installed a 4ch amp for my interiors.

31 minutes ago, cmysstailights said:

I have a 15 with bose. I did a write up of my experience. I needed gm3 harness, rr maestro, and since i didnt use the alpine interface i used amp bypass harness and installed a 4ch amp for my interiors.

I did some looking at PAC Audio's website and for the Sierra HD (2500 & 3500) the 2015 & 2019 both use the same interfaces, so apparently more than the 2 years I stated above. But in terms of upgrades/changes to the systems, the 1500 trucks get them first, followed by the HDs a few years later. I did some more looking on Pac's website & for the HD trucks, they don't show an option for 2020 in the Sierra, but they do for the Silverado. But going to the '20 Silverado HD, all they list are speaker baffles. So I don't know if GM changed the audio systems in the 2020 HD models, or that PAC Audio just hasn't gotten around to working on them.

I did some looking at PAC Audio's website and for the Sierra HD (2500 & 3500) the 2015 & 2019 both use the same interfaces, so apparently more than the 2 years I stated above. But in terms of upgrades/changes to the systems, the 1500 trucks get them first, followed by the HDs a few years later. I did some more looking on Pac's website & for the HD trucks, they don't show an option for 2020 in the Sierra, but they do for the Silverado. But going to the '20 Silverado HD, all they list are speaker baffles. So I don't know if GM changed the audio systems in the 2020 HD models, or that PAC Audio just hasn't gotten around to working on them.
If gm.deviated from the mosfet system then abandon it. Go aftermarket hu, amps and speakers. Pretty sure rr maestro has a menu interface for the trucks features

30 minutes ago, cmysstailights said:

If gm.deviated from the mosfet system then abandon it. Go aftermarket hu, amps and speakers. Pretty sure rr maestro has a menu interface for the trucks features

That's fine for the HD models, but that isn't an option for the 1500 series, which I imagine is what most of the people posting in this thread have. Go to iDatalink's website & search for a 2019-2020 GMC or Chevy 1500. There isn't an option for it, because they don't make anything for the half ton trucks for 2019 or newer. The reason being GM changed the system in comparison to the 2014-2018 GM 1500 trucks. The HD series is still the same though, which is why that works for your vehicle. I'm guessing the next time GM changes the HD models, you won't be able to replace the headunits in them either.

7 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

That would suck, the stock io6 radio is garbage. I cant see a company not making. Integration kit

I'm guessing for many aftermarket companies it would be a liability issue. With a large chunk of the vehicles systems & settings going through the infotainment system, if anything gets messed up, they're on the hook for a $30k-$100k vehicle not working right.

Especially now that many auto manufacturers going to buttonless dash panels, that would mean things like HVAC, lights, 4wd, etc would have to be managed by the aftermarket radio. And since the aftermarket radios can go in any vehicle, you're dealing with different auto manufacturers setups, with many manufacturers have different setups for different models, all of which change almost yearly, you're looking at a ton of different interfaces the radios would have to support. The auto manufacturers aren't going to help aftermarket companies with it, so I wonder if it's really worth it for them to even go that route.

It's certainly not a simple thing to do, and in reality, how much of the buying public is going to actually want it. The ones who change the stereo to the extent we do is probably a fraction of a percentage.

How about a completely independent stand alone head unit hidden in the glove box or something?.

Then you can build a nice setup and leave the OEM unit intact.
A member here did that with his on the 14to18 yrs. Tablet in dash and move factory screen to center consol. Nifty idea