Anyone start tearing down a 2019 to install sound system?

I would just wait until PAC audio comes out with something. I have Hertz speakers and added a 10” JL sub and it sounds good. Not as good as when the POS NAV unit was working. I removed the NAV unit and had the Bose amp reinstalled because of constant issues. My installer is having issues with another of their units in a new Ford as well. I can guarantee a lot of headache if you buy the NAV unit. I do have to turn the bass down on my stereo and adjust my sub to make it optimal. Also now that I have rear tweeters, I can fade to the back a little to help. We have very expensive trucks that come with a crappy system. Fords and Dodge are the same. I bought a dream truck and had the hope of a great stereo, but spending 4K only made my headache worse. My installer gave me $2100 back for my JL amp and the NAV unit. So now at $1900, I’m way better than stock and waiting patiently for another company to solve the puzzle....

I bought my nav last year and yes it was crap. Absolutely annoying, couldn’t handle it. I spend 4+ hrs in my truck a day and it was a pain. Since about 2 months ago they sent me out a new one and I have had maybe 4 times where I had issues. This time I can just park the truck and when I turn it back on it’s working. Last time it would keep my amps on and kill my battery. So yes that was really bad. What they have now is worth the annoyance of a few issues rather than crappy music. It’s just worth it in my opinion to get the clean Audio from the head unit so you can do what your trying to do. Yes a better option may come around but at this moment the nav is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JMO76 said:

The reason I ask is the last person to talk about the NavTV system, Ecroofing01, essentially said don't buy them because they can't keep up with their issues. From what he's describing, it's sounds more like issues than quirks, when the unit outputs no sound. My installer suggested the ampPRO from Pac Audio, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to put out a similar product. 

The reason I want to get it right the first time is that I don't live in a city that I can just pop over to a shop if I'm having issues. I live about 80 miles from the nearest stereo installer and they're the only stereo shop in that city, which is the case for most of my state. There's only about 3 cities that have more than one installer, but they're about 130-200 miles away. And being without sound isn't an option.

I've already replaced all the speakers except for the sub (Hertz Audio in the doors and Pioneer tweeters in the dash), and right now it sounds worse than it was stock. They're better speakers, but they're running off a signal processing that Bose did for their own speakers. So right now I have to turn the bass to about -7 just to not have it sound boomy. I had almost the exact same setup in my 2016 Silverado, and all we did was put LOC's in to feed amps with those same speakers. After I took out the sub to trade it in, the system sounded better without a sub than this one does with it. I believe that's due to Bose's signal processing.

I wish GM would get away from this mindset that you shouldn't try to upgrade the sound system, or at the very least give you the option of deleting the Bose system from the package it's bundled in. There were other things in the package I wanted, just not the Bose because I knew it was going to be a headache to deal with installing an aftermarket stereo in it's place.

the fact they even sell something that has a ton of problems is not worth anyone’s money. They should have never sold it in the first place. Terrible customer service and lies. That don’t deserve a penny from anyone 

Removing the display is not for the weak of heart....it is a process....you will take apart more than thought....knee bolster, top of cluster pad, trim, bezels, etc....it is NOT difficult, just seems like more than one would normally think. 90% of it is snaps....maybe 8 screws all in....

MASSIVE audio upgrade....After removing all the factory speakers.....added 240 sq ft of DynaMat material....DynaMat says you only need it on the interior door skin, I used enough for both outer skin, and another layer on the inside skin...Completely covered the entire cabin floor, Yup, all the seats need to come out to accomplish a great coverage, you can stretch a run across the rear compartment without removing the seats, that is a big plus for the bass response from the under seat compartment

JBL Stadium doors kits,  6.5" mids/tweeters with crossover in each door. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO600M/JBL-Stadium-GTO600C.html?tp=106

SubThump Sierra Dual 10" down fire box under rear seat, JL Audio 10" subs...Awesome box, must be patient, it took almost a month to receive the custom enclosure.

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Custom-Subwoofer-Boxes/Silverado-And-Sierra-Crew-Cab-Custom-Subwoofer-Enclosures-by-Subthump/2019Up-Crew-Cab/New-2019-New-Body-GM-Crew-Cab-Dual-1012-Downfire-With-Amp-Space-1.html

JL Audio XD700/5V2 5 Channel amp with the Audio Control LC 7i,   Concert Series 6-Channel Line Output Converter with AccuBASS

https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25231_AudioControl_LC7i.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGhgU2l2ZKg8zU6fDRg_NV0lRnLTGO6BxPERTRAKFKjuek11FNezwf8aAgkuEALw_wcB

LLJ Customs Audio make a great interface harness...again, be patient, another 4 week delivery....True plug & Play harness to/from controller to amp rack on the sub enclosure....Well made, awesome product, simple, simple, simple...Worth the $$$$

https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/products/2014-2018-gm-t-harness-for-8-screens-without-bose-1418gm8/v/1920GM-HRN-WTH10

While I was there.....I went ahead and did the Air Lift Air Bag Suspension for the rear....

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/94204/

Flush mount the remote gauge kit in the dash...simply take it off the bracket, mount the gauge and controller

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9553&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGhsKM22cnmrLScHc74ZTGlc8x9Zb8ySUTmwsYl34iovP4x7qtCs3_IaAgX3EALw_wcB

added an additional regulator/gauge under the hood that give you an air chuck and blower tip for cleaning! Sorry, no link fort this, this was all sourced parts to add this option...

Since I needed a  tank for air supply....Ok, add the train horn as well!!!!https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Trumpet-Compressor-Complete/dp/B071NMRYV6/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=air+horn+kit&qid=1600008944&sr=8-24

Ok....Maybe I went a lil overboard.....But it was fun....

10 hours ago, mkarnesusa123 said:

Removing the display is not for the weak of heart....it is a process....you will take apart more than thought....knee bolster, top of cluster pad, trim, bezels, etc....it is NOT difficult, just seems like more than one would normally think. 90% of it is snaps....maybe 8 screws all in....

MASSIVE audio upgrade....After removing all the factory speakers.....added 240 sq ft of DynaMat material....DynaMat says you only need it on the interior door skin, I used enough for both outer skin, and another layer on the inside skin...Completely covered the entire cabin floor, Yup, all the seats need to come out to accomplish a great coverage, you can stretch a run across the rear compartment without removing the seats, that is a big plus for the bass response from the under seat compartment

JBL Stadium doors kits,  6.5" mids/tweeters with crossover in each door. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO600M/JBL-Stadium-GTO600C.html?tp=106

SubThump Sierra Dual 10" down fire box under rear seat, JL Audio 10" subs...Awesome box, must be patient, it took almost a month to receive the custom enclosure.

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Custom-Subwoofer-Boxes/Silverado-And-Sierra-Crew-Cab-Custom-Subwoofer-Enclosures-by-Subthump/2019Up-Crew-Cab/New-2019-New-Body-GM-Crew-Cab-Dual-1012-Downfire-With-Amp-Space-1.html

JL Audio XD700/5V2 5 Channel amp with the Audio Control LC 7i,   Concert Series 6-Channel Line Output Converter with AccuBASS

https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25231_AudioControl_LC7i.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGhgU2l2ZKg8zU6fDRg_NV0lRnLTGO6BxPERTRAKFKjuek11FNezwf8aAgkuEALw_wcB

LLJ Customs Audio make a great interface harness...again, be patient, another 4 week delivery....True plug & Play harness to/from controller to amp rack on the sub enclosure....Well made, awesome product, simple, simple, simple...Worth the $$$$

https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/products/2014-2018-gm-t-harness-for-8-screens-without-bose-1418gm8/v/1920GM-HRN-WTH10

While I was there.....I went ahead and did the Air Lift Air Bag Suspension for the rear....

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/94204/

Flush mount the remote gauge kit in the dash...simply take it off the bracket, mount the gauge and controller

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9553&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGhsKM22cnmrLScHc74ZTGlc8x9Zb8ySUTmwsYl34iovP4x7qtCs3_IaAgX3EALw_wcB

added an additional regulator/gauge under the hood that give you an air chuck and blower tip for cleaning! Sorry, no link fort this, this was all sourced parts to add this option...

Since I needed a  tank for air supply....Ok, add the train horn as well!!!!https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Trumpet-Compressor-Complete/dp/B071NMRYV6/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=air+horn+kit&qid=1600008944&sr=8-24

Ok....Maybe I went a lil overboard.....But it was fun....

My LLJ loop back harness came in last week im very impressed with the build quality.  hope to install it this week.    I have a JL TW5 Truck wedge that fits  perfect under the seat , JL RD 900/5 and 2 pairs of JL C3 6.5s

An alternative plan to the NavTV unit is to use a DSP that accepts signal from a tablet or phone.Use the tablet/phone to play your music and just use the Bose amp to play the factory chimes,beeps and radio through a speaker that you mount under the dash somewhere.

You'd need to buy harnesses for the speaker outputs if you want to make it easy and just utilize the factory wiring that is already in place.You'll also need a harness that bypasses the Bose output audio signals and yet gives you that front left output to hook to the speaker that you'll mount under the dash.

52 minutes ago, JH1973 said:

An alternative plan to the NavTV unit is to use a DSP that accepts signal from a tablet or phone.Use the tablet/phone to play your music and just use the Bose amp to play the factory chimes,beeps and radio through a speaker that you mount under the dash somewhere.

You'd need to buy harnesses for the speaker outputs if you want to make it easy and just utilize the factory wiring that is already in place.You'll also need a harness that bypasses the Bose output audio signals and yet gives you that front left output to hook to the speaker that you'll mount under the dash.

I was considering something similar, but using a phone to replace the USB drive I have been using. Reason being, from my last vehicle (2016 Silverado) to this one (2020 Sierra) whoever handles GM's infotainment system has thoroughly screwed it up. It's constantly indexing the files on the drive, and the file order changes pretty much every time I start the vehicle. If a folder has subfolders and music files, it doesn't put the folders at the top as normal, it mixes them in with the files, so if there are 5 mp3 files between 2 folders, it will only play those 5 files.  I had none of these issues on my Silverado. Everything was in alphabetical or numerical order, files were at the top of the list, and unless I had added files to the drive, it didn't try to re-read the drive.

At this point I'm thinking of putting a DSP like an Audison Bit 10 or JL Audio Fix 86 after the Bose amp to wipe out the Bose tuning and send the signal to the amp. I know that will work right now, today, not in a week from now when NavTV pushes a new update to fix whatever issue they're currently having, or a year from now when Pac Audio decides to put out something for the 2019-20 models. The PAC Audio guy told me that Covid delayed their work, but at this point the new models' setup has been out for almost 2 years now (fall of 2018 for the 2019 models), and they had access to the 2020 models for around 3 1/2 months before Covid shut down everything, so that seems like an excuse to me. These DSPs are what we used before NavTV and ampPRO was available and they worked well. I'm just sick of waiting for something that MIGHT work in the future when there's something that WILL work now.

Reminds me of the old saying "wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which gets filled first."

Edited by JMO76

Thought I would share my experience here with a minor upgrade. I have a Denali with the Bose setup and last year I was able to get my hands on the kicker sub add on for about 30% off. GM had some 20% off MSRP thing going last fall and my brothers work for GM and were able to order with another 10% off through a dealer. Install was easy and added a decent amount of sound. A few weeks ago I replaced the door speakers front and rear with JBL concert series along with adding quite a bit of Dynamat. Crutchfield had the speakers discounted a decent amount so I purchased though them. 

My experience with the door speakers is mixed. The rears are definitely an upgrade as the OEM speakers were basically 1 way and sounded like a clock radio speaker. The rears are now bright and clear. The fronts on the other hand don't sound a lot different than OEM. The OEM speakers were more mid bass focused and even though the new speakers are 3 ways, there are no highs. They are a bit crisper in terms of mid bass vs the muddy low Bose so a very minor upgrade. I'm assuming this is due to how the system is tuned as the front of the truck has the dash speakers that are pretty bright. I left the dash speakers alone for now as they sounded OK. What I have done now is adjusted the fade to the rear a few notches to help lower the volume on the fronts so now quite a bit more sound from the rear can be heard so there is much more of a 360 sound now. Its actually pretty good. 

One thing I never see mentioned that I thought might be helpful is that most new phones (I always stream and never store any music on board) have built in EQs that can be adjusted. Androids for sure have this under advanced sound settings. There is a 10 band EQ that can be used to fine tune output. I also use premium music services through Tidal, Google Music and LiveXLive (Used to be Slacker). Yes I spend upwards of 30 a month on all of these but the premium versions provide access to the higher quality music so they sound better. Many use the free versions or Sirius XM which will always be at a lower quality due to bandwidth and wont sound as good. They are not terrible but just wont be as good as the high rate stuff. I have adjusted the EQ to help maximize the quality of the sound output as much as possible. 

At this point I am really happy with the results. Nice and clear and loud. I am going to go bigger on the sub and am mulling over the direction. I think that will round out the system pretty nicely. 

Edited by Smrtasp
  • Like 2

My NavTV update.  Working on 3 months with the "upgraded" unit.  About once every 4 weeks I get a staticky signal noise that goes in and out.  To fix this....turn the key off for 2 minutes and it is back to normal for another 4 weeks.  I do not understand why they cannot fix this issue.  I personally had great luck with their customer service, but I am disappointed in the unit.  When it is working (which is 95% of the time now) it sounds amazing.  But anything that cost this much that has been released to the public for sale should not have "quirks."

I understand everyone has different wants, needs, and budgets.  But for those saying the Bose system sounds great, you guys need to hear a system with just low to mid priced components, amp, and dsp.  You will be blown away by the difference.  Usually, but not always, the more you spend the better sound quality you will have.  A dsp is a must for optimal tuning though.  When you remove the Bose speakers from the doors you will understand how we all got ripped off for that upgrade.