Rattle or Vibration Noise in 2018 GMC Headliner

My 2018 Sierra SLT Crew Cab has an annoying buzzing sound, rattle, or vibration when in motion that come from the headliner, overhead console area. When I lightly press up the headliner or plastic molding in this area the noise stops. I only hear it when no radio is on but annoying on a year old truck GMC. It is not the eye glass holder that I can tell. Any ideas? Do you think the warranty should cover silencing this vibration?

Don't know about coverage, probably depends on the dealer.  My 18 Silverado crew cab has a headliner noise when driving on rougher roads.  Been thinking of taking it in as it was bought new less than 2 months ago.  Just don't have the time.  I almost have to take a day off to get the truck in.

6 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

SS502 on here had a rattle similar. It was the visors. Flip the visors down and drive and see if it makes noise. The noise should not be present with visors down.

I know it doesn't solve the problem but it is worth trying just to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Thanks, will try again but I don't think it's related. 

17 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

SS502 on here had a rattle similar. It was the visors. Flip the visors down and drive and see if it makes noise. The noise should not be present with visors down.

I know it doesn't solve the problem but it is worth trying just to know.

Yes Sir! The hard plastic mirror cover was vibrating on the mirror trim. That was driving me crazy but we found it! Good memory there HeySkippyDog :thumbs:

Yes Sir! The hard plastic mirror cover was vibrating on the mirror trim. That was driving me crazy but we found it! Good memory there HeySkippyDog :thumbs:
My friends all laugh that I can remember shit from more than a decade ago nearly down to the precise date. I can get the month and year, sometimes I know the exact day.

It also helped that Jim made it memorable about the lipstick smears and suspected date night shenanigans.

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2019 at 5:48 AM, Birdwatcher62 said:

Thanks, will try again but I don't think it's related. 

Yeah give it a try! I could have sworn mine was making the noise from a completely different area than where it really was coming from. Cabin noises are hard to find, especially if you’re alone. 

32 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Yeah give it a try! I could have sworn mine was making the noise from a completely different area than where it really was coming from. Cabin noises are hard to find, especially if you’re alone. 

Thanks,  I'll keep trying. I think it is the coming from the plastic overhead console with the eye glass holder and overhead lights. When I touch it it stops. Doesn't feel loose though. Like something is rattling underneath in certain circumstances.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

Thanks,  I'll keep trying. I think it is the coming from the plastic overhead console with the eye glass holder and overhead lights. When I touch it it stops. Doesn't feel loose though. Like something is rattling underneath in certain circumstances.

Well when you fine it please share! These little annoying noises are sometimes very hard to isolate :(

On 2/21/2019 at 5:08 AM, Birdwatcher62 said:

My 2018 Sierra SLT Crew Cab has an annoying buzzing sound, rattle, or vibration when in motion that come from the headliner, overhead console area. When I lightly press up the headliner or plastic molding in this area the noise stops. I only hear it when no radio is on but annoying on a year old truck GMC. It is not the eye glass holder that I can tell. Any ideas? Do you think the warranty should cover silencing this vibration?

I had this exact same God forsaken Devil's design torture instrument from hell rattle and hunted night and day for this Bleepity bleeping expletive blankity $#&#$%#$%# sound! 

It's the visor retainers. Flip down the plastic caps on them, T15 or T20 bit I believe, and CRANK those bastards DOWN. If you really want some security, throw some electrical tape over the retainers in the roof for added noise dampening. You'll be rewarded with sweet sweet SILENCE. 

I hunted for this freaking sound from August of 2017 to April of 2018. The worst part is it would be so damn sporadic, it would come, then go, then come back, then go away again. I swear I tightened so damn many dash bolts. The glove box bolts, behind the glove box bolts, under the speaker cover/forward dash section, under the knee bolster on the drivers side. Once I was able to make it go away I was able to more precisely locate it. I did the exact same thing you did (push on the headliner, specifically on the right rear corner of the overhead console) and it would VANISH. Release pressure and the hell sound is back!

Fixed the passenger side April of 18, and the driver's side August of 18. Haven't heard a bleepity bleeping blanking expletive PEEP since then. THANK GOD!

• Thanks 1