Hey Folks,

I've been searching all over the NET for info on this situation. I have a 2014 Sierra 1500 Denali 4x4 equipped with a 6.2L and the 6L80e. I'm looking to swap in the 8l90 and would like to know what it will take. The engine set up is capable of producing over 1100 hp however, I'm restricted due to the transmission. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

When someone can figure out how to control it with a 2014 controller and everything else, then it will be possible.

Otherwise the only way I figure it working is if you switch all the wiring and whatever else to a 2015+ controller so it can use the 8 speed. I don't see the 8 speed as something better to handle 1,100hp. Even with HP Tuners, they are tons and tons of missing tables that the 6L80e computers get but the 8 speeds don't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CamGTP said:

When someone can figure out how to control it with a 2014 controller and everything else, then it will be possible.

Otherwise the only way I figure it working is if you switch all the wiring and whatever else to a 2015+ controller so it can use the 8 speed. I don't see the 8 speed as something better to handle 1,100hp. Even with HP Tuners, they are tons and tons of missing tables that the 6L80e computers get but the 8 speeds don't.

Considering his budget, I’m sure he’s willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible.

I mean $3k-$4k in labor goes a long way for swapping out oem wiring harnesses and computers. It’s not like you have to build the harnesses from scratch. I’m guessing the trick is figuring out what exactly needs swapping out. Pretty sure the cluster does. Maybe even the radio.

All his oem parts he’d have to take off would be worth money too. Perfect for someone looking to do a 6.2 swap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

With all the issues the 8 speed is having why in the world would you want to make that swap

The kind of issues the consumer has is different than the issues a 900whp truck has.

The 8 speed can handle power, lots of it. Minor reliability issues pale in comparison to the importance of power handling.

Basically, at 900whp the 8 speed will be a helluva lot more reliable than the 6 speed.

Edited by truckguy82

57 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

The kind of issues the consumer has is different than the issues a 900whp truck has.

The 8 speed can handle power, lots of it. Minor reliability issues pale in comparison to the importance of power handling.

Basically, at 900whp the 8 speed will be a helluva lot more reliable than the 6 speed.

I don't even know where to begin in my reply

Somehow the OP is not a consumer?  The issues a mere peasant such as my self will have with a 350hp truck are some how more abundant than the same trans in a 900whp truck????  That makes no sense.  Reliability isn't as important as power handling????  That gets the dumbest statement of day award right there.  The 8 speed isn't reliable in a 350hp truck but somehow will be in a 900hp truck???  That comes in 2nd place for dumbest statement of the day.  Its still early

The 8 speed in stock form cant handle 1100 hp, it cant handle 900hp.  With that said any trans can be "built" to handle power.  The 6 speed can be built to handle well over a 1k horses as the 8 speed can to. 

My guess is this is going in a street truck so the more gears to tame it and make it more streetable.  8 speed makes sense.  But if you think OP is gonna swap in a stock 8 speed then go WOT and it hold up then youre crazy. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

I don't even know where to begin in my reply

Somehow the OP is not a consumer?  The issues a mere peasant such as my self will have with a 350hp truck are some how more abundant than the same trans in a 900whp truck????  That makes no sense.  Reliability isn't as important as power handling????  That gets the dumbest statement of day award right there.  The 8 speed isn't reliable in a 350hp truck but somehow will be in a 900hp truck???  That comes in 2nd place for dumbest statement of the day.  Its still early

The 8 speed in stock form cant handle 1100 hp, it cant handle 900hp.  With that said any trans can be "built" to handle power.  The 6 speed can be built to handle well over a 1k horses as the 8 speed can to. 

My guess is this is going in a street truck so the more gears to tame it and make it more streetable.  8 speed makes sense.  But if you think OP is gonna swap in a stock 8 speed then go WOT and it hold up then youre crazy. 

your reply is completely wrong, and you are super weird and have social issues for getting upset about it.

yes ability to handle power and reliable are different, I’m not sure what is so complicated about that. Apparently it eludes your vast brain power.

A Lamborghini single clutch dct is less reliable than an 5speed automatic honda civic trans. But if your target is 800whp, what’s going to be more reliable....the lamborghini trans.

See how that makes sense?

and no, a 6l80 cannot be built to reliably handle 900+ whp in a 5500lb truck. Maybe some people on earth can, but good luck finding them. Why on earth do you think he is asking? An 8l90 can be easily built to do it with light mods, and can almost handle it stock.

Also, no he is not a normal consumer at all. When I said that I was clearly referencing a “normal consumer” and not the literal definition of a consumer. Hence the commonly used term “consumer grade”

Edited by truckguy82

40 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

your reply is completely wrong, and you are super weird and have social issues for getting upset about it.  Im sorry do we know each other?  You seem to think you know me

yes ability to handle power and reliable are different, I’m not sure what is so complicated about that. Apparently it eludes your vast brain power.  A stock trans in a 1100hp vehicle might make it a time or two down the track but what happens on that 3rd time or 7th time and it grenades.  Would you consider that trans reliable because it held up for a handful of passes?  You only need a minute quantity of brain power to answer that

A Lamborghini single clutch dct is less reliable than an 5speed automatic honda civic trans. But if your target is 800whp, what’s going to be more reliable....the lamborghini trans.

See how that makes sense?  Comparing a dual clutch trans to a CVT is apples and oranges.  Worst comparison ever

and no, a 6l80 cannot be built to reliably handle 900+ whp in a 5500lb truck. Maybe some people on earth can, but good luck finding them. Why on earth do you think he is asking? An 8l90 can be easily built to do it with light mods, and can almost handle it stock.  That's weird because there are plenty of manufacturers out there doing it, ATI, Circle D, Performance Auto, MadDog Trans, etc etc etc.  They even warranty them.  Again just speculating but my guess is for the extra gears for a street driven truck like I said earlier.  Not to many folks running the 1320 with 8 gears lol!!!

Also, no he is not a normal consumer at all. When I said that I was clearly referencing a “normal consumer” and not the literal definition of a consumer. Hence the commonly used term “consumer grade”  So do you know the OP?  He mentions no budget but you seem to know what his budget is.  You quote "normal consumer" yet you don't mention "normal consumer" in your post.  Quoting something you didn't say.  That's a new one.  And where was "consumer grade" ever mentioned because you quoted it.  Maybe I missed it. 

Oh boy I can tell you're new to all this internet stuff because your 1st mistake is trying to interpret someones words and determine it as an emotional response.  Im far from upset as Im sitting here actually amused by your posts and actually quite happy to debate this.  When an amateur is challenged or questioned their first instinct is to attack said person with "youre super weird" and lack of "brain power" comments instead of simply trying to educate the person questioning you.  So in reality you look like the one that's upset and getting all hot an bothered, not me. 

Take a breath bro its just the internet.  We all come here to learn new things. 

Either way have a good day.  No need in replying.  I fear your response may bring me to tears with your painful insults.

1 hour ago, Jacoby said:

Oh boy I can tell you're new to all this internet stuff because your 1st mistake is trying to interpret someones words and determine it as an emotional response.  Im far from upset as Im sitting here actually amused by your posts and actually quite happy to debate this.  When an amateur is challenged or questioned their first instinct is to attack said person with "youre super weird" and lack of "brain power" comments instead of simply trying to educate the person questioning you.  So in reality you look like the one that's upset and getting all hot an bothered, not me. 

Take a breath bro its just the internet.  We all come here to learn new things. 

Either way have a good day.  No need in replying.  I fear your response may bring me to tears with your painful insults.

you called me multiple insults for no reason at all, and you’re telling me to “take a breath its just the internet” 

you’re insane, rofl

find me one transmission supplier that offers a warranty in a 1000whp 6l80

From what I understand, neither the 6L80e nor 8L90e can be equipped with a trans-brake. If you want to make 1,100hp you will probably end up at the track once or twice. If you do that, you might want a trans-brake. I would look at a 4L80 swap before going to the 6L80. Or you could go MSD 2-step and a handbrake for helping out your 60' if you're sold on a 6L. 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, HeySkippyDog said:

No way in hell can the 8 speed handle more power than the 6. The 8 speeds, as they come, can't decide for the life of them which gear to use and a high power application would roast one in no time flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Well there are numerous 1000hp vettes that say otherwise

Okay I’m amending my original question. What would it take to swap in an4L80e or 4L85e. This is going to be more cost effective and I believe it has been done before. I just can’t find the web info. The truck is almost done.