Plastic Tailgate Damage Already.......

I have received a small dimple on my 2 month old Denali Tailgate.  It appears to be plastic.   No paint damage, just a small dimple.  I had a few shops look at it, and they didn't want to touch it.   I was going to hit it with a heat gun and press it out, but not sure about that.  I was hoping I was not the first one to have this issue.

Its over towards the right, just by the reverse light.

dimple..jpg

16 minutes ago, DodgerDave said:

I have received a small dimple on my 2 month old Denali Tailgate.  It appears to be plastic.   No paint damage, just a small dimple.  I had a few shops look at it, and they didn't want to touch it.   I was going to hit it with a heat gun and press it out, but not sure about that.  I was hoping I was not the first one to have this issue.

Its over towards the right, just by the reverse light.

dimple..jpg

Check with a Paintless Dent Removal company.

if they can access it from the inside of the tail gate, they could possibly remove it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

Check with a Paintless Dent Removal company.

if they can access it from the inside of the tail gate, they could possibly remove it.

With the complexity of this multi-pro gate I do not think that is possible. Several layers sandwiched together.....

Cool.  Thanks.  That portion, the lower, has a plastic access panel on the back.  I might pop that off and see if there is direct access to the other side of the panel.

One shop I went to turned into a debate over the kind of material it is.  One guy insisted it was Carbon Fiber, LOL.

I will follow through with results.

2 hours ago, sethro274 said:

It’s Aluminum, not plastic. Probably will be difficult to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lower part ? 

Edited by f8l vnm

34 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

With the complexity of this multi-pro gate I do not think that is possible. Several layers sandwiched together.....

They can try to get it out with glue tabs, if they can’t get access with their pdr tools. 

A good paintless dent removal guy should be able to get it even though aluminum is harder to work with. I had a ding on the nose of my hood (no paint damage) and can't even tell where it was no matter how close you look.  Here's the thing with the new GM trucks. If it opens it's aluminum. Hood, doors, tailgate and gas lid.

1 hour ago, DodgerDave said:

Cool.  Thanks.  That portion, the lower, has a plastic access panel on the back.  I might pop that off and see if there is direct access to the other side of the panel.

One shop I went to turned into a debate over the kind of material it is.  One guy insisted it was Carbon Fiber, LOL.

I will follow through with results.

Post some pics if you have time, curious as to what kind of "hardware" is in there compared to the last body style (mine).

I already have two dings on my RST after just about 2 months. One is right below the fuel door, where the body mold above the rocker panel crowns. Some North Dallas snob (safe presumption, Lol) clearly opened their door hard into it. No paint chipping or scratches at all, though, surprisingly. 

The other is a small dimple on the passenger side rear window / cab post, just above the bed. No clue how that got there. 

I'm going to PDR them sometime in the future, but I figured I would wait. With 2 in just 2 months, maybe I'll have another 10 before the year is over. Lol

Did you take it to the dealer body shop and see what they say? Most small stuff in some dealer shops gets subbed out to a PDR company anyways as they get a killer discount and can still not touch it and make $30-$50 profit for just getting it done as a "dealer" repair though most people won't know they subbed it out. Trucks dealers do to make money.