Took my 2017 Chevy Silverado z71 to the dealer today . Engine was ticking on top end sounded like a lifter tick and slight deeper knock in bottom end . oil presure was all over the place would go from 65 psi to 25 psi at same rpm. I have 44,000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue?  With the strike in play who know how long I will be without my truck.

Yeah dukedick, that is exactly what he should have done................

Your guess is as good as mine for the problem. Something could be wrong with the variable oil pump. A failure there can be out of the persons control if it's electrical.

Here is an article if you were curious on them.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/variable-displacement-future-oil-pump/

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

Yeah dukedick, that is exactly what he should have done................

Your guess is as good as mine for the problem. Something could be wrong with the variable oil pump. A failure there can be out of the persons control if it's electrical.

Here is an article if you were curious on them.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/variable-displacement-future-oil-pump/

Well played sir, well played.....

• Like 2

With the tick I'd probably less worried...lot of people confuse the tick with the direct injection...I've personally heard that sound vary quite a bit, sometimes on the same engine depending on outside temperature, oil used, oil change interval, etc. But the bottom "knock"...I mean you never want to hear an engine knock or thumping on the bottom.

But if it is an oil pressure situation then I'd say yes, you could be having a lifter and bottom bearing failure going on. I believe the AFM requires a certain oil pressure to activate and operate properly...and obviously the bottom needs a certain pressure to properly feed those bearings. Let's hope it's not that...and no I haven't heard of many total engine failures on these trucks, so there is hope. 

One thing I will say - and I've said this time and time again - do not go 6,000 miles without checking your oil level...I have never seen one of these trucks come in the shop (for their oil change at 6,000 miles) and not be almost all the way down on the dipstick. I have never ever seen one properly filled up unless the customer opens the hood and adds some oil (heaven forbid they should do that). Jus this week saw another one...guy comes in...6,000 miles on the oil...68,000 on the truck...beautiful truck/20 inch rims, he's going to get new tires...pull that dipstick and the oil is barley on the stick. Happens every...single...time. I swear if you own one of these things, just open the hood half way through your oil change and dump 3/4 of a quart in there. 

Edited by Doublebase
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RE1 said:

How do you know he didn’t?

Because properly maintained engines don't just start falling apart at only 44k miles.  Following the OLM is NOT maintaining an engine.  Turning the key, going 10 minutes to work and back is NOT maintaining an engine.  Letting it idle is NOT maintaining an engine.  Dipstick should show "full" even if you let it go to 0%.

::pulls pin on grenade and throws:: I bet if you'd used Amsoil you wouldn't have any issues...

Edited by dukedkt442
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Hunter1296 said:

Took my 2017 Chevy Silverado z71 to the dealer today . Engine was ticking on top end sounded like a lifter tick and slight deeper knock in bottom end . oil presure was all over the place would go from 65 psi to 25 psi at same rpm. I have 44,000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue?  With the strike in play who know how long I will be without my truck.

Your powertrain warranty should take care of the problems.  Make sure that it does and don't accept any "it's normal" diagnosis.  It is not normal for a newer engine to make ticking/knocking noises.  I would also find it unusual to need to top up my oil between oil change intervals.  My '09 required lots of additional oil between changes before major repairs (powertrain warranty) at approx. 60K.  It went the next 100k with the dipstick reading full at all times.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dukedkt442 said:

Because properly maintained engines don't just start falling apart at only 44k miles.  Following the OLM is NOT maintaining an engine.  Turning the key, going 10 minutes to work and back is NOT maintaining an engine.  Letting it idle is NOT maintaining an engine.  Dipstick should show "full" even if you let it go to 0%.

::pulls pin on grenade and throws:: I bet if you'd used Amsoil you wouldn't have any issues...

Again, how do you know how the OP does anything in his daily life? You make a lot of assumptions and you’re being an a$$hole unnecessarily. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, RE1 said:

Again, how do you know how the OP does anything in his daily life? You make a lot of assumptions and you’re being an a$$hole unnecessarily. 

He said himself he’s at 55% oil. He’s due for oil change. I’m making the assumption that previous oil changes were extended well beyond that. These engines are known for failure only in the wrong hands. 

At such early mileage, greater than 9 out of 10 problems I’ve had people come to me with, or I’ve had to respond to, were due to operator error. 

Truth hurts. 

Why is it so hard to comprehend that the OLM is designed to get most of the engines through the warranty, and not actual longevity?  5k miles max on full synthetic, which on mine come to 60-65%.  Otherwise, reap the consequences.

Edited by txab

So because your truck says 60-65%, that means every other truck is exactly like yours then right?

What if mine says 50% at 5,000 miles, I am going to suffer greater because it's different that yours?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

sad andre johnson GIF

25 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

So because your truck says 60-65%, that means every other truck is exactly like yours then right?

What if mine says 50% at 5,000 miles, I am going to suffer greater because it's different that yours?

What if indeed; does it?  Yours has the same programming that mine does, so one would have to assume that the counter works the same, seeing as how it's based on algorithms and not oil testing.  Or is that conjecture?

Where I come from hard data disproves a hypothesis or claim.  Disprove it.... GO!

Aren't you forgetting about what can happen with those 5,000 miles though?

My engine run time could be far longer than yours because of idle time or sitting in traffic. The oil life monitor is not solely based on miles driven.

If you are the GM engineer(s) that helped build the software, please provide the information about exactly how the algorithm works.

Just to provide more details about random stuff here. I have around 2,000 miles on my current oil change. This oil has been in the truck since this spring as I only drive about 5,000 miles per year. The current OLM is at 60% already. I do not use the OLM because I change my oil twice a year based on time and not percentage or mileage.

Edited by CamGTP