15 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Guessing this is why GM went to 8 qts on 2014+ LT engines. Due to oil consumption? Didn’t the previous gen 2007.5 - 2013 GMT900 hod the standard 5qts? 

You may have a point, not sure. Saw two trucks come in this week with the 5.3 (2016 Sierra and a 2018 Chevy Tahoe)...both with 6,000 miles on the oil...both bellow the low oil fill line. I have yet to see a single one come in "full", unless the owner added some oil on his own along the way.  

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And your definitions of 'better' and "good' as used in you first post. That is, IYHO, what criteria do you use to assign one product to be 'better' than another or determine the 'good'-ness of A product? 

Bump! 

On 10/23/2019 at 10:07 AM, Doublebase said:

You may have a point, not sure. Saw two trucks come in this week with the 5.3 (2016 Sierra and a 2018 Chevy Tahoe)...both with 6,000 miles on the oil...both bellow the low oil fill line. I have yet to see a single one come in "full", unless the owner added some oil on his own along the way.  

Mine only uses what I wipe off the dipstick when I check it.

Edited by beetle

6 hours ago, slimjim2525 said:

Once again, I'll ask, like I did a month ago.  Show me a UOA from the same vehicle, at the same mileage between Amsoil, and any other GM approved synthetic oil.  Show me the wear metals difference, and that any of these oils fell out of viscosity grade, or that the wear metals were out of range.

Neither Blackstone nor Dyson makes wear metals comparisons based on such a model. The request is unreasonalbe. BUT...they do use the same engine type Those wear metals are absolute values. Divide the PPM by the K miles to compare. Blackstone supplies those 'universal averages' based on your miles reported for the OCI. Dyson does not. That is a reasonable request and you seem a reasonable guy.

Using such numbers give apples to apples and also show tendency for were in a particular motor. It is USLESS to compare results from a Gen 1 327 Chevy to a Ecotec3 5.3 or to a BMW I6. 

I assume when you say "out of range' you mean 'exceeds universal averages' for that wear metal. If so then beating that average seems a reasonable goal. Yes? 

Lab reports are a dime a dozen on the internet. It should not be to difficult to find something you both like and can afford.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
Content correction. More later.
  • Like 1

Neither Blackstone nor Dyson makes wear metals comparisons based on such a model. The request is unreasonalbe. BUT...they do use the same engine type and ppm/1K OCI. It's how they report the result. Those wear metals are not absolute values. Blackstone supplies those 'universal averages'. Dyson does not. That is a reasonable request and you seem a reasonable guy.

Using such numbers give apples to apples and also show tendency for were in a particular motor. It is USLESS to compare results from a Gen 1 327 Chevy to a Ecotec3 5.3 or to a BMW I6. 

I assume when you say "out of range' you mean 'exceeds universal averages' for that wear metal. If so then beating that average seems a reasonable goal. Yes? 

Lab reports are a dime a dozen on the internet. It should not be to difficult to find something you both like and can afford.  

Correct, you can present proof that one oil protects better than the other all day long, they’ll still stick with what they’re comfortable with which is great, more power to them. On the other hand, even providing proof will still have a response of “I’m fine with my oil” or “prove to me my motor will break if I don’t use your preferred oil” lmao! Why are there so many competitors in the market all offering to out perform the other, send in your favorite oil, compare it, it’ll lose, they’ll still ask for the above information. I’m out, margaritas are waiting

Sent from Above

On 10/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, Grumpy Bear said:
  On 10/23/2019 at 10:36 AM, slimjim2525 said:

On 10/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

And your definitions of 'better' and "good' as used in you first post. That is, IYHO, what criteria do you use to assign one product to be 'better' than another or determine the 'good'-ness of A product? 

About what I thought. He toss's the words 'better' and 'good' around to add weight to a claim and yet he can not define what the substance of his supporting terms are. He offers a statement of opinion and hopes it is heard as fact and when it is not so received.....

This poster hands the burden of proof to his claim truthfulness to the one he attacks.

A claim whose burden of proof lays upon himself.

Proofs he can not supply on his own.

He has no proof. He can't (or won't) even define his terms.

You want to start a fight? Swallow the bait of this STRAWMAN.

IGNORE this sort of baiting.

I can keep coming up with UOA after UOA all day long.  I'm done with you baiters.  I'll ask again.  Show me a UOA from the same vehicle, with the same oil change mileage, where Amsoil beats any other synthetic, and I will say you're right, I was wrong.  Show me it.

Guys these oil arguments are f'n lame.

Use what you want. I like Mobil1 from Walmart . 

I doubt anyone on here will have an engine failure because of the brand of oil that's in it as long as it's the right viscosity and is Dexos approved.

But if you guys want to keep writing novels about oil I'm not reading them anymore.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Guys these oil arguments are f'n lame.

Use what you want. I like Mobil1 from Walmart . 

I doubt anyone on here will have an engine failure because of the brand of oil that's in it as long as it's the right viscosity and is Dexos approved.

But if you guys want to keep writing novels about oil I'm not reading them anymore.

Absolutely!

Why read things you're not interested in? 

I think this is a great idea!

:thumbs:

Update on my 2017 silverado z71 !

Dealer replaced lifters and cam I picked my truck up Thursday drove it home everything was good .

Leave to take kids trick or treating drive 10 min I get a message on truck for low engine oil.

Stop the truck check dipstick it's way low . we go trick or treating come back to truck check oil it's full. Drive home 10 min does same thing . then again in the morning driving it back to dealer message low oil level. Stop at dealer today they can't recreate the issue at drop off I told them they need to drive it 10 min. 

My guess is when reinstalled the head gasket they blocked the oil return ports partially? Any suggestions?

They cant recreate the issue? So they want you to go drive it without knowing where the oil is disappearing too? Take it to a different dealer, your going to wreck that motor if there are actually oiling issues. Sounds like they will have to tear it down again. Sorry bud. 

• 1 month later...

After reading through this circle jerk, the one thing that is true;

your engine needs oil, that oil needs changing.

That's it. That's all you need to know.

Everything else is personal preference.

Todays oils are so good it doesn't mater, just add oil. Change filters, grease chassis, relax.

Is it worth it to think you're right?

Relax, it's oil, it's your truck. No big deal.