16k miles and now I'm angry...

It’s not just computers. I read yesterday that there’s a recall involving seatbelts. Apparently in an accident there’s a charge that explodes increasing tension in the seatbelt. The escaping gas causing a fire potential. How can they not test for this? So you survive an accident and burn up in a fire. I can understand that it can be hard to test computer longevity. But a potential fire causing problem, a few test should bare that out. Everyone is such a hurry to get the latest thing out because people demand it. Maybe Toyota has the right idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, mandrewbot3k said:

I don't recall if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I wonder if this is going to be an issue in the T1 as well...

https://www.gm-trucks.com/huge-gm-truck-brake-recall-announced-by-nhtsa-is-yours-on-the-list/

Nope, this is a totally different braking system, no vacuum pump at all. 

14 hours ago, rbrjr1 said:

serious question...

its a new truck...

wont your dealer come and pick the damn thing up?

mine would and bring me a loaner to use while they have it..

No I had to drive it there since the brakes were "working" again.

I know the '14-'18's have an active recall for losing the brake assist in slow speed traffic.  It's happened to me a few times over the 5yrs I've owned my truck in Tampa commuting traffic heading home from work. I had the re-calibration recall performed about a month ago.  So far no lost brake assist post-recall. 

I would second the steer clear of 1st year models. I bought an '07  BMW 335i.  Turns out in '08 they started adding the engine oil cooler to all of them, not just the sport packages because '07 base models were having oil temps peak 260*F and going into limp home mode. I was one of these folks, who lives in hellish Florida heat and traffic so oil temps would climb like a rocket ship in the summer. I had to put a oil cooler on it myself, BMW did not help at all. I opted for the Dinnan oil cooler kit and installed it myself.

My wife's '19 Z71 Tahoe has much better brakes, throttle response, transmission shifting and paint compared to my '14.  It's clear that the '19 tahoe has the bugs ironed out.  I'm 2 for 2 on 1st year vehicles, never again.  All trucks have issues, go to the ford forums, toyota forums etc....  everybody has "known issues".  I personally know someone who bought a new 5.0 F150 and had the engine replaced under warranty due to oil consumption.  Make a large cup of coffee and Youtube F150 5.0 oil consumption.  Saving grace for my truck was I was able to battle and fix the 74mph+ shakes. If not, that would have been the end of it. 

Edited by FL335i

On 11/23/2019 at 8:06 AM, Pyrojodge said:

No I had to drive it there since the brakes were "working" again.

brakes only "work" if they're consistent. yours werent, I would have made them come get it.  (would they have paid all costs if you were in an accident while taking it to them?)

Update #2

Well, they have updated lots of software and replaced a few of the modules.  Unfortunately the rear window is broken some how.  The suspect that it was done during installation.  The entire part needs to be replaced but they will have to make one specifically for my truck so they are not sure on how much time that is going to take.   The service advisor told me that I could get the truck back tomorrow or Wednesday but not all of the items on my list would be fixed by that point.  Super nice but I swear if I get the truck back and run into the reduced braking issue again I will loose my mind...  I'll keep you posted on how everything else comes out in the end and what's going on with the window.

9 hours ago, MacLaren said:

I seen that you mentioned a bulletin in reference to the brakes. Is this for all Silverados?

I would imagine I or anyone else would get a letter in the mail, if it were a recall?

Btw, hope it all works out for ya!

The brake bulletin he's referring to is for the brake pad life read out in the DIC. There were trucks Chevy and GMC that were showing the brakes wearing out way to fast. The bulletin was for the effected owners to re calibrate the sensors and possibly replace the pads if warranted.

• Thanks 1