Dead battery and check engine light

Currently have my 2020 Gmc sierra 1500 with a build date of 09/2019 at the dealer with 2kmiles on it. Battery was dead one morning. After jump starting had check engine light and brake antilock system issue sent to my email. Truck would not hold a charge after leaving it on for a good 30 min. Its been at the dealer for 3days now.

Edited by 2020gmc
Added details

3 hours ago, Colossus said:

welcome to the club

Lol! Thanks. Must admit this is my first gm product and it takes the prize for spending some time in service so soon. Got my truck back! They put a new battery and cleared codes. Plus they took care of the seat belt recall ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colossus said:

Well she'll not be too troublesome from here on out.  Chances are, she sat for quite a bit after being built and the battery went bad. 

It was built in september lol, weird because if there is one part on these trucks that i have always had good luck with are ac/delco batteries.

Mine did the same. Truck had roughly 2200 miles on it and was parked in my drive way. Woke up to no power. Had to jump start. It started right up and had every light on in the dash. Truck was in limp mode. 

drove it to the dealer. They blamed my power tonneau cover was draining the battery but it’s been on there since day 1 and this is the first issue. I had the same tonneau cover wired the same way on my f150 lariat for 4 years with no issues. 

dealer cleared the codes and said they wouldn’t charge me the labor or diagnostic fee since they stated it was the tonneau cover. 

so far it hasn’t done it again but I fear it will. 

7 hours ago, Drj1014 said:

Mine did the same. Truck had roughly 2200 miles on it and was parked in my drive way. Woke up to no power. Had to jump start. It started right up and had every light on in the dash. Truck was in limp mode. 

drove it to the dealer. They blamed my power tonneau cover was draining the battery but it’s been on there since day 1 and this is the first issue. I had the same tonneau cover wired the same way on my f150 lariat for 4 years with no issues. 

dealer cleared the codes and said they wouldn’t charge me the labor or diagnostic fee since they stated it was the tonneau cover. 

so far it hasn’t done it again but I fear it will. 

My 2013 f150 used to have a mode that would prevent me from draining battery these dont. When Reading the manual i noticed it says not to leave the power outlets connected and i used to leave two chargers connected for the cell phones on the front and back they had small lights. Im sure they dont cause that much drain but now i disconnect them for fear of battery drain. Also trying to get my wife to disable autostop start when she turns it on because a battery takes the most load when cranking. Thats why it uses cca to rate them cold cranking amps

• 3 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, 2020gmc said:

Lol! Thanks. Must admit this is my first gm product and it takes the prize for spending some time in service so soon. Got my truck back! They put a new battery and cleared codes. Plus they took care of the seat belt recall ?

Same thing happened to me. New battery, bla bla. P25A2 code now.

Brand New 2020 in the shop for the same issue at 1833 miles. Tried to go to the store and it wouldn't start. Too many codes to count. Figured the battery or alternator was issue. Charged up the battery on slow charge for 2 nights, drove to Autozone. They said the battery was at 66%. Dealership said there was a problem with the computer detecting movement of some kind causing several systems to code and drain the battery.  

On 11/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, 2020gmc said:

Currently have my 2020 Gmc sierra 1500 with a build date of 09/2019 at the dealer with 2kmiles on it. Battery was dead one morning. After jump starting had check engine light and brake antilock system issue sent to my email. Truck would not hold a charge after leaving it on for a good 30 min. Its been at the dealer for 3days now.

wow I had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday, Traded in my 19 AT4 5.3 for a 2020 AT4 with the 6.2 and with only 2 miles on it i go to start it and it was slow to turn over. when it did the check eng light came on. I looked at vehicle diagnostics and it had a few voltage codes. so i drove around for about 30 min turned it off waited 20 min and restarted started right up and the check eng light was gone. I was a service advisor for 4 years at a chevy store and from my experience anytime you have a dead or dieing battery you will get a slew of erroneous eng codes b/c there are so many computers on these thing and they are very sensative to how much voltage they get and will fault if its not exactly right.... 

what is the dealer telling you ?

• Like 1

Saw the recall the day after I bought the truck (2/18/2020). Took it in and the next day after I took it home my battery was dead. They put a new battery in. Not able to drive it much lately with all that is going on. "Mystery" - First thing in the morning I pop the hood and battery is at 65%. I leave the hood up and 30 minutes later I check the battery and it's at 100%. What's with that? At least I don't have a dead battery. The P25A2 code is still in the system and it won't delete with my code reader. No engine lite so maybe it's ok now?

After purchasing my new 2020 GMC 20 days the truck dash lit up with all kinds of codes and errors the light dimmed and the battery was dead, took in the dealership they said the battery was good just needed to be charged They didn’t replace the battery? Sounded fishy but whatever I drove it home no issues until exactly 25days later I go to open up my truck and the battery is completely dead!! Now 2 months later 2nd time in the dealer lets see what they say now!! I’m losing my cool because I had to call off work the first time now I was late to work the 2nd time. I bought a new truck for reliability but so far that’s not the case 

On 3/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, steve841 said:

FWIW .. the codes are only because of the bad battery ....

But, there's no excuse for a dead battery on a new truck. ?

Sure there is.  Batteries go bad or have defects that occur during manufacturing that are not caught on quality control. 

If this is an AGM battery they don't like to be fully discharged and re-charged often.  Often this will happen after a truck has been manufactured and it sits in a staging lot somewhere for a few weeks (that's all it takes now a days on modern vehicles)  It SUCKS but it's a very common issue across the board, not just on GM.