Dead battery and check engine light

On 9/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, JohnTz said:

Just checked mine. About 1 turn each bolt to tighten. Never had any problems but wanted to be proactive on this. Thanks for the heads up. 

Going to check mine in the morning!  Did you have to disconnect the neg battery terminal or can you just tighten it with a ratchet?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, guys - thanks for posting all of this. The battery in my 2020 Sierra is dead with no explanation but with lots of warning lights and guess what -  because of YOU, I was able to find this and relay the information to the dealer.

Why does it have to be me to come to the rescue? Granted, it is not yet fixed - but it sounds exactly like the issue at hand.

Yes, this needs to be recall.

Mine went back to the dealer Monday on a rollback for the second time with this issue. I also informed them of this problem but still have not got my truck back. I also told them I wanted a new battery since this was the second time and this time the battery was drained down to 2 volts.

21 hours ago, John Bro said:

Wow, guys - thanks for posting all of this. The battery in my 2020 Sierra is dead with no explanation but with lots of warning lights and guess what -  because of YOU, I was able to find this and relay the information to the dealer.

Why does it have to be me to come to the rescue? Granted, it is not yet fixed - but it sounds exactly like the issue at hand.

Yes, this needs to be recall.

Okay, I just got my vehicle back BUT - the UBEC bolts were already at 53lb. They could not find what drained the battery. And, given what I am reading here, it is just a matter of time before it happens again. This sucks so hard - got a new vehicle because I have no time for such problems right now at all. Like several of you.

But will report back with anything further. I plan to drive by there in a couple weeks and have them check the battery.

I have a 2020 AT4HD and its now in the shop for the 7th time since March.  This the 4th time the battery has died.  Actually already had an appointment for squealing brakes for the 3rd time (separate post).  I just called them about tightening the fuse box bolts and gave them the service bulletin number.  I had to give them the service bulletin number about the brakes too.  Why are we having to tell GMC mechanics how to do their job.  This is ridiculous.  I expect they will tell me...again....that the battery is fine and there is nothing they found to cause it.  I hope its the bolts....still hoping to get rid of the brake squeal too.  

UPDATE:  I picked up my truck yesterday and as I suspected the mechanic said he could not reproduce the squeal on the brakes.  I had showed a video of it to the service tech.  They also said battery tested fine and they could not find the problem.  I showed them the service bulletin reference posted above, but they couldn't find it in their system.  I got home and checked the bolts on the fuse box and mine were one full turn lose as well.  I hope that resolves the issue with the battery.  

Edited by RossEGCA

because issues that are not very common are not going to be known by all the service departments and there are so many service bulletins out there for all the vehicles that no one memorizes them.  This forum allows for the very few people experiencing the issues you are to come together and ****** and complain and look for help, thus the bulletins come up in conversation and we get to inform the dealer service departments.   The REAL good mechanics will look for TSBs while the others will just shrug their shoulders and say "can't duplicate issue."  or "Issue is normal" 

• Haha 1

just tightened my bolts after having electrical issues ... they were all 1/2 turn shy of TSB recommended torque and green indicators were popped ... guessing this was engineering torque miscalculation ... wonder what manufacturer torque specs were ... will see if this addresses issue

Hello, all. I found this forum looking for the same issue that happened to me today. i have a 2020 sierra denali with the 6.2. I was slowing at a light and as soon as I came to a full stop the truck jerked and everything went blank. no power to anything. no hazards nothing. it was rush hour and everyone was blasting their horn blah blah blah.. anyway. (oh no onstar since no power) I got the dealer on the line and they came and dropped off a loaner and had the truck towed to their shop but it was late so they will look at it in the AM. I suspect the battery issue too or the ground terminal mentioned in another post but I have only had it 3 days. 200 miles and only 50 of them are mine.. anyway, the tow driver tried to jump it so he could get it out of gear and nothing at first then he used a different jump pack and the lights kicked on but still not enough power to start it, at least he got it out of gear so he could put it on the truck... 

Its a lease, I traded my 2017 sierra denali lease in for this. the 2017 never had one issue. I hope I dont have trouble with this thing, I am scared to drive it any distance out of fear it will do it when Im far from home or on the highway.. I had no lights or power brakes, steering no brake lights, no hazards it was completely dead, if that happend at night on a busy road It could have caused an accident.. scary stuff. 

Edited by Joemahma

10 hours ago, Joemahma said:

Hello, all. I found this forum looking for the same issue that happened to me today. i have a 2020 sierra denali with the 6.2. I was slowing at a light and as soon as I came to a full stop the truck jerked and everything went blank. no power to anything. no hazards nothing. it was rush hour and everyone was blasting their horn blah blah blah.. anyway. (oh no onstar since no power) I got the dealer on the line and they came and dropped off a loaner and had the truck towed to their shop but it was late so they will look at it in the AM. I suspect the battery issue too or the ground terminal mentioned in another post but I have only had it 3 days. 200 miles and only 50 of them are mine.. anyway, the tow driver tried to jump it so he could get it out of gear and nothing at first then he used a different jump pack and the lights kicked on but still not enough power to start it, at least he got it out of gear so he could put it on the truck... 

Its a lease, I traded my 2017 sierra denali lease in for this. the 2017 never had one issue. I hope I dont have trouble with this thing, I am scared to drive it any distance out of fear it will do it when Im far from home or on the highway.. I had no lights or power brakes, steering no brake lights, no hazards it was completely dead, if that happend at night on a busy road It could have caused an accident.. scary stuff. 

It's extremely alarming that GM has not had a fix for this issue.  These trucks have been having this issue since they the first one was sold.  I don't have anymore fate in mine.  Every time I drive I keep waiting for something to go wrong to the point where I don't enjoy driving it.

I had a 2018 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost with no issues.  Just liked the Denali styling better.  Will drive this until the warranty period is up and probably go back to Ford or see what the new Tundra looks like.

13 hours ago, Shiva said:

It's extremely alarming that GM has not had a fix for this issue.  These trucks have been having this issue since they the first one was sold.  I don't have anymore fate in mine.  Every time I drive I keep waiting for something to go wrong to the point where I don't enjoy driving it.

I had a 2018 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost with no issues.  Just liked the Denali styling better.  Will drive this until the warranty period is up and probably go back to Ford or see what the new Tundra looks like.

Ya I bought a brand new tundra even though its flawless Id love to get this new one. 

Found this thread after 2020 Silverado 5.3L Trail Boss 7500 miles was totally dead.  Built 01/2020. Took forever to jump it. All the codes tripped. Theft, anti lock brakes, traction control, etc... Drove it home and the engine light stayed on. Started next morning and afternoon with no problem but the check engine light was still on. Parked in my driveway and popped the cover to the fuse box under the hood and found the 4 bolts mentioned in this thread were approximately 3/4 of a turn loose. Tightened them up. The very first start up, the next afternoon, no problem and the check engine light was out! Still took it to the stealer that day and they couldn't duplicate the problem. Cleared the codes, checked battery and connections. All was good. Didn't mention the fuse box bolts just in case they'd void my warranty. Stealer didn't mention they checked the fuse box bolts so they must not be aware of the problem. Thanks to all of you who post and help! Others like me truly appreciate the time you spend sharing your knowledge. Kevin. 

• 1 month later...

2020 Trailboss, 6.2L with 7200 miles, owned it 4 months and battery was completely dead overnight. Was able to jumpstart and drive to dealer where they replaced it with a new AC Delco battery. Hopefully, that won't happen again for at least several years....

2020 Sierra AT4 5000 miles. Today was the second time my truck was completely dead. First time was over night,  battery wasn’t able to be jumped or changed had to get towed to the dealership. They replaced battery and said it was a bad cell. This time the truck was sitting for 3 days, once again completely dead and can’t jump or charge battery enough to even shift from P to N.  Looks like it’s getting towed again tomorrow morning. 

F me... just joined this club.

2020 3.0 totally dead.  3 hours on a charger, not even a light.  Tow guy had the industrial jumper.  Got it in N and hauled it off.

can’t wait to hear the BS from service advisor..