I have the 4.3 L V6 Silverado that calls for 6 quarts of oil. However, if I put 6 quarts in the truck it seems to be well past the full “waffle mark“ (crosshatch fill zone)on the dipstick. It actually almost goes up to the point where the dipstick reader and the wire connect. Seems awfully high. However, if I put 5 1/2 quarts in it, it almost reaches the top of the waffle impression.

and yes, I completely emptied the oil and drained it on a flat surface. 

in fact, when you read the dipstick with 6 quarts of oil in it, it’s almost hard to tell that the oil is actually going well above the top of the full mark of the dipstick because it tapers off at the top. If you hold it in the perfect light, you can tell that it is well above the waffle mark

Anyone else notice this oddity in the dipstick reading? 

B556A5CA-F33E-4F99-B143-6A5F994ED9B9.jpeg

Seems that way on most new GMs.  Most find that if they follow the instructions in the owner's manual (run the engine to normal operating temperature, shut it off, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then check dipstick, wipe, and recheck) that it is closer to the full mark.  If you check it cold, it looks overfull.  I worried about that at first, then at the advice of my GM service manager, I have just been glugging in however many quarts of oil the owner manual says when I do an oil/filter change, and have never had any problem over many years now.   

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2

Also the pan never has 6 quarts in it while running anyway because there is 1-2 quarts being pumped though the engine and falling back into the pan at any given time.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, RayP said:

This is a bit off topic, but Does your oil pressure increase with RPM?

My van's pressure guage shoots right up when the passing gear kicks in?

Check the other thread where you asked the same question...

• Haha 1