5.3L vs 6.2L V8

1 hour ago, 3rd Batt Ranger said:

“Anyone.....that is obsessed...”, seems clear my comment refers to ‘anyone obsessed with’ and not ‘everyone is...”. My point still stands, if $15-$30 a week is damaging enough to a budget to cause some one to possibly settle on a 5.3 engine, then there is a rather high probability the truck itself is being squeezed into a budget that doesn’t fit. There is also nothing wrong with ‘wanting to save a buck’, more people in general should try out that way of thinking, wanting to ‘save a buck’, isn’t the same as well, I can put a 55K truck in the drive way, but only if I opt for the 5.3 b/c $20 a week, $1,020/yr or 1 1/4 of a monthly truck payment if financed. Maybe, just maybe, that 55K financed would be better served by financing a 30K truck that, comparatively, saves $50/week and the payment difference stashed in a 401k/IRA. Point being, &20-$30/wk in gas likely isn’t (or prolly shouldn’t be) a reason someone will ‘settle’ for the 5.3, that’s all I am saying, but to each his own. 

Sua Sponte. 

I think you missed my point. You're implying that it's stupid or nuts to worry about saving $20 week on gas in a truck that costs 55K. I'm saying "no it's not". Money is not endless, and even if one can afford to spend it, somebody might not want to spend it. The budget can be there, but just not what they want to use that money for. $20 week at 10 years = $10,000. Few people who can afford to drop 55K on a truck, got to that position in life by just hand-waving away that kind of money. I sure as heck didn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I pop my hood and still don't know which one I have?  Where is the emblem?  5.3l/6.2l guess it does not really matter to me. Engine seems fine the one I have.....I could write a check for 2-3 top trims of 1500's at one time?  Big deal....I just need a decent Truck/motor is all>>>>>>>>>

Edited by mookdoc6

16 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

I pop my hood and still don't know which one I have?  Where is the emblem?  5.3l/6.2l guess it does not really matter to me. Engine seems fine the one I have.....I could write a check for 2-3 top trims of 1500's at one time?  Big deal....I just need a decent Truck/motor is all>>>>>>>>>

Ok, you had me for a sec with your first sentence, my thought was, um, it’s badged in the quarter panels, good one. The only intent of my comment was 100% of buyers don’t all pick an engine for the same reason thus, the 1% comment isn’t factual. Nor is ‘don’t need’ a 6.2 engine a reason not to buy it, and that having the ability to pay cash for 3 trucks at once, or in my case for just one, up front, a still try to and still money anytime possible is not the same as $20-$30/week being the deciding budget factor for a 6.2 or 5.3. If the latter is the case, then, just as everything else, jmho, A 55k truck is the budget issue, not $20-$30/wk extra for 93 octane. Doesn’t seem to me to be that difficult of a concept to grasp, but again, to each his own. 

I don’t ‘need’ a 6.2, but I have one. I didn’t ‘need’ a new truck, but I did want one so I bought it and passed the 08 F150 to my son. Would 87 save me $20/wk, sure, but making whatever the financed payments would have been to my savings account instead of buying the truck would save me even more money. But again, to each his own, the ‘1% need’ is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rd Batt Ranger said:

Ok, you had me for a sec with your first sentence, my thought was, um, it’s badged in the quarter panels, good one. The only intent of my comment was 100% of buyers don’t all pick an engine for the same reason thus, the 1% comment isn’t factual. Nor is ‘don’t need’ a 6.2 engine a reason not to buy it, and that having the ability to pay cash for 3 trucks at once, or in my case for just one, up front, a still try to and still money anytime possible is not the same as $20-$30/week being the deciding budget factor for a 6.2 or 5.3. If the latter is the case, then, just as everything else, jmho, A 55k truck is the budget issue, not $20-$30/wk extra for 93 octane. Doesn’t seem to me to be that difficult of a concept to grasp, but again, to each his own. 

I don’t ‘need’ a 6.2, but I have one. I didn’t ‘need’ a new truck, but I did want one so I bought it and passed the 08 F150 to my son. Would 87 save me $20/wk, sure, but making whatever the financed payments would have been to my savings account instead of buying the truck would save me even more money. But again, to each his own, the ‘1% need’ is irrelevant. 

Totally agree!  Buy what you want?  Your American you worked for it great Buy it....who am I to tell you what to buy?

13 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Totally agree!  Buy what you want?  Your American you worked for it great Buy it....who am I to tell you what to buy?

Excellent, does this mean we don’t need to go burn and loot our own neighborhoods now? I’ve never been quite able to figure when and when not to do that. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

On top of the factory air box (filter), and look at what code you have on your RPO code in the glove box. L83 5.3, L86 6.2.

I love my 6.2L! Won't ever go back, that being said, I also loved my 5.3l before I had a 6.2L.  It's a fantastic motor that did everything I needed it to do. For 80% of people out there, it is perfect. I am just glad GM offers TWO excellent V8's for their consumers to choose from. 

That being said, I do feel that GM needs to up the HP/TQ numbers on both V8's because they have had the same rating going on 7 years now. A 20 to 30 HP/TQ bump is nothing for these new DI engines. 

Offer the new LS7 7.0L crate motor now rated with 570 naturally aspirated HP. Put it into an SS trim!! That would be fantastic.  I'd have one on order in a heart beat. They could also put it into a Raptor fighter and not have to worry about superchargers or turbo failures. The american truck buyer has a deep passion for their trucks and offering a big 7.0L as an option, is just what some of us WANT! 

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 2

The power ratings are still pretty competitive. The 5.3 compares well to the 2.7 EB and will even give a Hemi a run for it’s money in the bloated Ram. And the 6.2 walks away from everything except the 3.5 HO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they let these V8s ride as they are for a few more years and shuffle in a turbo I6 based on the 2.7 4 banger architecture to eventually take their places. It would make sense, the engine bay was designed to hold a straight six. Takes awhile for the public to warm up to that of course, but Ford has done well.

• Like 1

And I thought this forum was full of adults, what a bunch of pointless bickering. Better engine? Grumpys right, they all make the same power to much the truck at any given mph, if it takes 100 hp to over come air resistance and rolling resistance at 60 mph, that's the power they both make. The 6.2 makes more power, sure.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 1:31 PM, OnTheReel said:

The power ratings are still pretty competitive. The 5.3 compares well to the 2.7 EB and will even give a Hemi a run for it’s money in the bloated Ram. And the 6.2 walks away from everything except the 3.5 HO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they let these V8s ride as they are for a few more years and shuffle in a turbo I6 based on the 2.7 4 banger architecture to eventually take their places. It would make sense, the engine bay was designed to hold a straight six. Takes awhile for the public to warm up to that of course, but Ford has done well.

I sure hope they stay with the small block V8. Why would you change something that is already getting as good or even better FE than what ford's ecoboost does?  To me it is pointless. Just put turbos or superchargers on the V8's. They will have the power in the higher elevation, get as good or better FE if you drive them respectfully, and when you want to go crazy, all the power is there that you will ever need! 

• Like 1

6.2 on 87 the rating drops below 400hp and your torque falls to like 396 crank.

I didn't grab the dyno graph cuz I didn't think anybody was actually going to run their premium power plant like that but apparently it's fairly common.[emoji2369]

As for fuel economy and my experience is exactly the same the 6.2 can and does accelerate in 4-cylinder mode just fine. The 5.3 can't really do it with less than 6. The 3.42 trucks (max tow) perform much better, and stay in dfm much more often.

There's so much torque management that occurs in first and second gear, just driving em during a test drive you're not really going to feel a difference.

A much better test is 50-90.

It's pretty easy to get the 6.2 down to 10 mpg when pounding it whereas even driving the 5.3 hard it's pretty difficult to get it below 13.

All of the t1 trucks lack brake bite. If you're a sporty driver I highly suggest upgrading to the brembo package.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On 6/20/2020 at 12:58 PM, TNTSilverado said:

I love my 6.2L! Won't ever go back, that being said, I also loved my 5.3l before I had a 6.2L.  It's a fantastic motor that did everything I needed it to do. For 80% of people out there, it is perfect. I am just glad GM offers TWO excellent V8's for their consumers to choose from. 

That being said, I do feel that GM needs to up the HP/TQ numbers on both V8's because they have had the same rating going on 7 years now. A 20 to 30 HP/TQ bump is nothing for these new DI engines. 

Offer the new LS7 7.0L crate motor now rated with 570 naturally aspirated HP. Put it into an SS trim!! That would be fantastic.  I'd have one on order in a heart beat. They could also put it into a Raptor fighter and not have to worry about superchargers or turbo failures. The american truck buyer has a deep passion for their trucks and offering a big 7.0L as an option, is just what some of us WANT! 

Agree on the LS7 7.0L, there would be a legitimate difference between that and the 5.3L (215 HP difference). Otherwise you are talking about 60-70HP between the 6.2 and the 5.3. There was a video posted the other day where thwo guys took a 5.3 and a 6.2 were at the track and there was a 1/3 of a second difference in the quarter mile between the two. LMAO. People on here talking about how the 6.2 walks away from the 5.3 GTFOH. A 6.2 T1 might not even beat an '18 5.3 with a tune in a 1/4 mile. 

It reminds me of when I bought my Whaler back in the day. Went onto the forum and there were a bunch of needle#*$*s talking about how you just had to have the bigger engine. Well having been around boats my entire life and having owned the exact same Whaler before, I felt that the standard engine on the boat was plenty of HP and was exactly what I had when I was younger and that boat absolutely flew. But if you read the forum all you heard was these blowhards talking about how that extra 25 HP was life changing. Come to find out some guy on a boat show test drove both boats and the weight of the bigger engine actually caused the boat to be slower. LMFAO.

Not saying it's apples to apples as far as the comparison goes here, but lot's of placebo effect going on here, lot's of people a little insecure with the truck they bought and are trying to validate their purchase, and lots of people who have never driven both trucks. Not saying I trust most peoples experiences as evidenced by this thread, but I do trust my own...

Edited by superhighsierra

I always bought the biggest engine I could get in a truck and I modified them. Most of my trucks were loaded with a fuel tank, tool boxes etc for work. I drew the line when especially GM held back the 6.2 for highly option models. I didn’t want leather, sun roof, Bose etc. I found I could do some mods to the 5.3 to reach close or exceed the HP of the 6.2. Especially when my last new truck (2014) GMC had the E-85 option in my Texas Edition. I would have had to pay an extra 15K to get the 6.2 with the added options. There wasn’t a whole lot of difference in options. There were just no deals with anything with the 6.2. With my Texas Edition with the E-85 option it was a 25 HP difference. Fords 2021 F-150 is going to have an hybrid option this year that gives you a ton of HP and 700 miles of driving range. The option is available across the board, even in work trucks. Listen GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

Agree on the LS7 7.0L, there would be a legitimate difference between that and the 5.3L (215 HP difference). Otherwise you are talking about 60-70HP between the 6.2 and the 5.3. There was a video posted the other day where thwo guys took a 5.3 and a 6.2 were at the track and there was a 1/3 of a second difference in the quarter mile between the two. LMAO. People on here talking about how the 6.2 walks away from the 5.3 GTFOH. A 6.2 T1 might not even beat an '18 5.3 with a tune in a 1/4 mile. 

It reminds me of when I bought my Whaler back in the day. Went onto the forum and there were a bunch of needle#*$*s talking about how you just had to have the bigger engine. Well having been around boats my entire life and having owned the exact same Whaler before, I felt that the standard engine on the boat was plenty of HP and was exactly what I had when I was younger and that boat absolutely flew. But if you read the forum all you heard was these blowhards talking about how that extra 25 HP was life changing. Come to find out some guy on a boat show test drove both boats and the weight of the bigger engine actually caused the boat to be slower. LMFAO.

Not saying it's apples to apples as far as the comparison goes here, but lot's of placebo effect going on here, lot's of people a little insecure with the truck they bought and are trying to validate their purchase, and lots of people who have never driven both trucks. Not saying I trust most peoples experiences as evidenced by this thread, but I do trust my own...

The new T1 trucks out-preform the older trucks hands down. Especially the 5.3L!  It accelerates about a second quicker than the K2 trucks. If you don't believe me. Go check out car and driver....7.0 secs for a 2017 and 6.1 secs for a 2019.

The 6.2L is .3 secs faster than the older body style. Having both of them. I know the 2019 accelerates way better. The 10 speed transmission is in tune with this new truck, the older 8 speed tranny felt like it was at war with the 6.2L engine. I always had issues with the low speed 1st to 2nd gear clunking.

My new 19 would beat my old 18 truck from a stand still, but from a 30 mph dig, the 2019 truck would destroy it because the transmission downshifts crisper and allows it to stay in the power band better than the 2018 truck.

I never had a issue with the 8 speed transmission that was combined with the 5.3L. It shifted perfectly all the time.

HP in boats isn't going to affect much, it's the TQ that makes the difference. For instance, Mercruiser 4.3L V6 MPI is rated at 220 HP.  They also have a 5.0L V8 rated at 260 HP. You really don't notice the 40 HP difference, but what you do notice is the TQ, and that V8 snaps me out of the water when I am slalom skiing so much easier than the V6 does.  That TQ is what also makes the biggest difference when talking about the 5.3L to the 6.2L.  It almost 80 ft lbs.    Plus, in my estimate, I do believe GM on these new trucks is sandbagging the HP/TQ numbers of the 6.2L.  Like I have said, I have had both years, and this new 2019 outperforms my 2018 hands down, and feels a lot stronger.

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, superhighsierra said:

Everyone that has the 6.2 is going to defend their purchase except for the guy above me lol. Salute. 

Test drive both. Is the 6.2 slightly faster? Of course. When you mash the pedal on either the 5.3 or 6.2 do they both get up in a hurry? Of course. If you are towing heavy all the time is the 6.2 better? Sure, but in that case you should buy a 3/4 ton anyways. You also have to put premium gas in the 6.2. 

The 6.2 is a solid engine and if all things are equal I'd take a 6.2 over a 5.3, but IMO there is not that much difference, it costs a considerable amount more at the pump, and if you are buying it for towing, you would be much better off in a diesel 2500. I'm sure it won't be popular amongst all the guys with the 6.2 but IMO it's like any automotive vehicle, a lot of it is just to say "I've got the 6.2." LOL. Like I said test drive each... At the end of the day you are paying a lot for what amounts to 75 extra horses. If you care about horsepower and have the cash you would be much better off with a supercharger.