5.3L vs 6.2L V8

The 6.2 and 10 spd trans is a much better combo is you are looking for extra pwr for towing or playing.  The 5.3 is a great engine also, just lower on pwr.

The 6.2 is undisputedly faster. It is the combo that has the highest towing capacity in the 1500s (more than the baby max).

Gas mileage is pretty good at 65. I average 24-25 driving around DFW at 65/70.

When driving between Houston and Dallas, I see 21.x doing +3 to the speed limit the entire way( 78 mph most of the way). If you romp on it, you'll see teens real quick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Jonofmac said:

The 6.2 is undisputedly faster. It is the combo that has the highest towing capacity in the 1500s (more than the baby max).

Gas mileage is pretty good at 65. I average 24-25 driving around DFW at 65/70.

When driving between Houston and Dallas, I see 21.x doing +3 to the speed limit the entire way( 78 mph most of the way). If you romp on it, you'll see teens real quick.

Is that with 93 or 87 or something in between?

Is that with 93 or 87 or something in between?
93. I've not started my testing with 87 yet to determine mileage or power impact. I'm waiting to get past 3k miles.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Premium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

They test the 6.2 (2017 in an Escalade) and show there is a change in fuel economy. Interesting read.

• Like 1

Everyone that has the 6.2 is going to defend their purchase except for the guy above me lol. Salute. 

Test drive both. Is the 6.2 slightly faster? Of course. When you mash the pedal on either the 5.3 or 6.2 do they both get up in a hurry? Of course. If you are towing heavy all the time is the 6.2 better? Sure, but in that case you should buy a 3/4 ton anyways. You also have to put premium gas in the 6.2. 

The 6.2 is a solid engine and if all things are equal I'd take a 6.2 over a 5.3, but IMO there is not that much difference, it costs a considerable amount more at the pump, and if you are buying it for towing, you would be much better off in a diesel 2500. I'm sure it won't be popular amongst all the guys with the 6.2 but IMO it's like any automotive vehicle, a lot of it is just to say "I've got the 6.2." LOL. Like I said test drive each... At the end of the day you are paying a lot for what amounts to 75 extra horses. If you care about horsepower and have the cash you would be much better off with a supercharger. 

• Like 4

No defending it. It's simple facts. The 6.2 is a better performer and gets basically pretty good gas mileage. Premium is recommended, not required. You can and many people do put 87 in it.

I test drove all engine combos.

Babymax: made decent low end torque but lacked any real acceleration.

5.3: was ok but felt a bit anemic, and was slower than my 2500HD I was coming from.

6.2: made the most power and makes the same torque as the babymax, but 145 more HP.

The "just throw a supercharger" argument is dumb IMO. I'm not looking to void the warranty on a brand new truck. I have a few modified vehicles (one is a track vette with a 416 CI LS3), so I'm not looking for a speed demon truck. I just want enough pep to pass people and pull my trailer to track events.

In the end, the 6.2 was the fit for me. If I went to a 2500, is get a duramax but it was substantially more expensive, slower, and overkill for what I pull. Most 1500s today can pull what I need.

No defending it. It's simple facts. The 6.2 is a better performer and gets basically pretty good gas mileage. Premium is recommended, not required. You can and many people do put 87 in it.

I test drove all engine combos.
Babymax: made decent low end torque but lacked any real acceleration.
5.3: was ok but felt a bit anemic, and was slower than my 2500HD I was coming from.
6.2: made the most power and makes the same torque as the babymax, but 145 more HP.

The "just throw a supercharger" argument is dumb IMO. I'm not looking to void the warranty on a brand new truck. I have a few modified vehicles (one is a track vette with a 416 CI LS3), so I'm not looking for a speed demon truck. I just want enough pep to pass people and pull my trailer to track events.

In the end, the 6.2 was the fit for me. If I went to a 2500, is get a duramax but it was substantially more expensive, slower, and overkill for what I pull. Most 1500s today can pull what I need.

I test drove both and when I pressed the pedal both trucks moved. The 6.2 isnt magical and it's not that much better than the others, its certainly isnt worth the extra, I think the 10 speed is making the 6.2 feel more powerful as the 1st gear is a lot lower in the 10 speed and it's such a smooth transmission, it's the real hero here.

Maybe if you live somewhere where 87 and 91 are only cents apart then maybe the 6.2 will be worth it. For me it costs nearly $30 extra to fill and I get almost no gain. I also own a 5.7 hemi and the 6.2 does have a little extra power ( hemi Is also a base model with 6 speed) but it's also costing me $2500 to $3000 per year to operate.

My previous tuned Cummins would walk all over my 6.2 and my jeep SRT8 makes the 6.2 feel like a v6, it's a truck and maybe people are forgetting that.

I heard all the hype on the 6.2 and then got it and was like ok so when does this thing start performing. The 5.3 is by far my least favorite V8 but I'd chose it over the 6.2 if I were able to re do things and smile at the pumps each time I fill up.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AdamAT4 said:

I test drove both and when I pressed the pedal both trucks moved. The 6.2 isnt magical and it's not that much better than the others, its certainly isnt worth the extra, I think the 10 speed is making the 6.2 feel more powerful as the 1st gear is a lot lower in the 10 speed and it's such a smooth transmission, it's the real hero here.

Maybe if you live somewhere where 87 and 91 are only cents apart then maybe the 6.2 will be worth it. For me it costs nearly $30 extra to fill and I get almost no gain. I also own a 5.7 hemi and the 6.2 does have a little extra power ( hemi Is also a base model with 6 speed) but it's also costing me $2500 to $3000 per year to operate.

My previous tuned Cummins would walk all over my 6.2 and my jeep SRT8 makes the 6.2 feel like a v6, it's a truck and maybe people are forgetting that.

I heard all the hype on the 6.2 and then got it and was like ok so when does this thing start performing. The 5.3 is by far my least favorite V8 but I'd chose it over the 6.2 if I were able to re do things and smile at the pumps each time I fill up.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

#Facts

But again man, it's like anything. You are going to have a bunch of people who spent extra money and have to validate their purchase. You could chip a 2018 5.3 V8 and it would have 2x the getup of a 6.2

I'm not hating but this reminds me of the AT4 thread where all the people with AT4's think they have some off-road capable vehicle because they put a trash 2" lift on it where if you want to go off-road the first thing you should do is take that lift off and put a real one on. I'm not sure a lot of people truly understand what they bought when they left the lot lol.

Is a 6.2 the right engine for 1% of people buying these vehicles? Sure. But it's not like a boat where you got a 200hp outboard while everyone else got the 150hp. Same with the Babymax, is it the right engine for .01% of people? Maybe. But at the end of the day it's going to be a gimmick and counterproductive to most. 

That is all. 

#Facts

But again man, it's like anything. You are going to have a bunch of people who spent extra money and have to validate their purchase. You could chip a 2018 5.3 V8 and it would have 2x the getup of a 6.2

I'm not hating but this reminds me of the AT4 thread where all the people with AT4's think they have some off-road capable vehicle because they put a trash 2" lift on it where if you want to go off-road the first thing you should do is take that lift off and put a real one on. I'm not sure a lot of people truly understand what they bought when they left the lot lol.

Is a 6.2 the right engine for 1% of people buying these vehicles? Sure. But it's not like a boat where you got a 200hp outboard while everyone else got the 150hp. Same with the Babymax, is it the right engine for .01% of people? Maybe. But at the end of the day it's going to be a gimmick and counterproductive to most. 

That is all. 

When I bought my yeti cooler I wasn’t sure what size to get. So I called my buddy and asked what size he had. “45 quart” he said, so I said “cool, I’m gonna get the 65”.

Also the part about people thinking their AT4 is off road capable reminds me of raptor owners who think the same. Carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 3

#Facts

That is all. 
You appear to be one of those people that enjoys talking down to every option that isn't what you have. Nice.

1) a "chipped" 5.3 in 2018 alone gets you 385/413 HP/tq vs the stock 6.2 420/460 HP/tq. So that statement is wrong. Can you modify a 5.3 to make more power? Sure? But you can modify a 6.2 and make more power just as easily. Dumbest comment I've read on this forum...

2) while I don't particularly understand the Babymax option, some people prefer a diesel engine that gets better gas mileage and makes better low end torque.

Why are you saying everyone who buys an AT4 or a 6.2 or a Babymax is an idiot and should've just bought a 5.3 and "chipped it".

We get it, you've got small man syndrome for apparently every option or trim that's more expensive than yours, so everyone that spent more is "having to validate their purchase". It sounds more like you're trying to validate yours by talking down to everyone else and saying everyone else is stupid for buying the 6.2 or 3.0 or the at4.

• Like 8

Which engine is better? I assume the 6.2 has more power and the 5.3 has better mpg, but how much of a difference is it?

To answer this most simply, when compared in a GMC Sierra

5.3: 355hp/383tq

Towing capacity: 9200 lbs

0-60: ~7.0 seconds

1/4: 14.9@92

6.2: 420hp/460tq

Towing capacity: 12,200

0-60: 5.4

1/4 Mi: 13.9@100