5.3L vs 6.2L V8

Forgot to mention, I’ve got a lifted truck, 33” KO2’s and a 6.2, I get consistent 19-20mpg @70mph highway speeds and 12-14 city.

My last 2014 5.3 gave 15-17 mpg highway and 3-4mpg towing a 7k# trailer.

The 6.2 is a much better fit motor for those that want the max out of their trucks.

Sent from Above

You must have a factory freak or live in a city with no traffic lights or stops signs because the best I can muster up in stock form is 11 in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You must have a factory freak or live in a city with no traffic lights or stops signs because the best I can muster up in stock form is 11 in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s a SuperChips tuned 2018 and I don’t have to give it to much gas to go, it’s a beast. So far, I’m still loving it, I live in the city and most of the time I don’t even pay attention to the mpg’s but it’s definitely an excellent motor/transmission combination. I’ll never switch back to a smaller motor. Btw, I switched from a 2016 DMax to the 18 6.2 and never looked back.

Sent from Above

I have 5.3 8sped LT 4wd crew. I really love this power plant combo. Never felt its lacking power. Unless I am towing 9000lbs but honestly towing 9000lbs with these truck is pushing it and I won't want to do it regularly, once in a while it's okay.

• Like 1

I have 5.3 8sped LT 4wd crew. I really love this power plant combo. Never felt its lacking power. Unless I am towing 9000lbs but honestly towing 9000lbs with these truck is pushing it and I won't want to do it regularly, once in a while it's okay.

Your 5.3 is a tried and proven power train more than adequate to do what you need it for but you’d definitely feel differently if you drove a 6.2 for a week.

Sent from Above

I was dead set on getting the 6.2 but when my wife and I went shopping last month the only models on lots equipped with the bigger engine were Denalis. After test driving both the 5.3 and the 6.2 back to back the difference just wasn’t worth the jump in price to a Denali from the SLT we ended up purchasing. I was expecting the difference to be more dramatic, and while the 6.2 was a little faster off the line, the 5.3 has more power than I need for my driving style. 

I pulled our 26’ travel trailer on a 600 mile trip through some hilly PNW terrain and was never wanting for power. In the end, getting the 10 speed is probably much more impactful than displacement alone. I have borrowed my FILs ‘16 Silverado (5.3L/6sp/3.73) for towing my TT before and it is a little less fun at highway speeds than my 5.3L/10sp/3.23 is, so there is definitely a gain from the newer transmission.

I don’t think you can really go wrong with either V8+10spd.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 11:25 PM, TXGREEK said:

Your 5.3 is a tried and proven power train more than adequate to do what you need it for but you’d definitely feel differently if you drove a 6.2 for a week.

Sent from Above

I think you are right. I am pretty sure I would love the 6.2 if I tried it.  Interestingly enough it is the only engine I have never driven before. But again I don't think I would complain if I have extra hp. It kinda of like having more money or a bigger wiener (there is no such a thing)

A = F/M. Newtons second law of motion. "A" or acceleration is that thing  you feel in the seat of your pants. You feel it as lateral force in a curve or restraint during braking. That shove to the back of the seat matting the gas. Thing is for a give mass (M)  of the vehicle the force (F) could come from any motor and "feel" the same for the same rate of acceleration (A). 

Until you asking the larger motor for a greater rate of acceleration than the smaller motor can provide there is ZERO difference between them.

So here's the question. How often do you plan on accelerating that requires more than 355 hp or tow that requires more than 382 pounds feet torque? I have a V6 with 285 horsepower and used it all but a few times playing. Even interstate merges at any speed you care to name she's up to it. 

Not bragging up the smaller motors. Saying they don't 'feel' different until you ask them different.   

• Like 2

A = F/M. Newtons second law of motion. "A" or acceleration is that thing  you feel in the seat of your pants. You feel it as lateral force in a curve or restraint during braking. That shove to the back of the seat matting the gas. Thing is for a give mass (M)  of the vehicle the force (F) could come from any motor and "feel" the same for the same rate of acceleration (A). 

Until you asking the larger motor for a greater rate of acceleration than the smaller motor can provide there is ZERO difference between them.

So here's the question. How often do you plan on accelerating that requires more than 355 hp or tow that requires more than 382 pounds feet torque? I have a V6 with 285 horsepower and used it all but a few times playing. Even interstate merges at any speed you care to name she's up to it. 

Not bragging up the smaller motors. Saying they don't 'feel' different until you ask them different.   

Hey Grumpy, hope you’re doing well.
The 5.3 I had was a disaster, whether towing or just running to your grocery store and local Home Depot, it had horrible mpg’s and though it was sufficient for many it lagged for me. It had horrible passing power after 60 mph. One day I had gotten on the freeway and put cruise on 75, tried to go around another driver doing 65 in a 70 and it lagged trying to get around him which seemed like forever and the whole time seemed very hard for the 5.3 to get it done. Theres no doubt that throughout the forum the 6.2 dominates the road in fuel efficiency and power, the 5.3 is a very capable and more than enough for many BUT, I now whip around slower drivers with ease and still getting higher mpg’s than I was in the 5.3. Only issue I’ve ever heard of on the 6.2 is the need for premium fuel which I used in my 5.3 too and didn’t make a difference. Living in Texas, we’ve got 80mph + roads and especially when lifted, hauling or just want to pass quickly and “safely” the more power the better.

I’m not at all knocking the 5.3 but as I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, drive a 6.2 for one week and you’ll totally understand what make the 6.2 superior. I’m usually getting rid of my vehicles every 2 years, this one is definitely a keeper, it’s very responsive and does everything I ask from it with power to spare.

Good luck everyone, stay safe out there

Sent from Above

Hey Grumpy, hope you’re doing well.
The 5.3 I had was a disaster, whether towing or just running to your grocery store and local Home Depot, it had horrible mpg’s and though it was sufficient for many it lagged for me. It had horrible passing power after 60 mph. One day I had gotten on the freeway and put cruise on 75, tried to go around another driver doing 65 in a 70 and it lagged trying to get around him which seemed like forever and the whole time seemed very hard for the 5.3 to get it done. Theres no doubt that throughout the forum the 6.2 dominates the road in fuel efficiency and power, the 5.3 is a very capable and more than enough for many BUT, I now whip around slower drivers with ease and still getting higher mpg’s than I was in the 5.3. Only issue I’ve ever heard of on the 6.2 is the need for premium fuel which I used in my 5.3 too and didn’t make a difference. Living in Texas, we’ve got 80mph + roads and especially when lifted, hauling or just want to pass quickly and “safely” the more power the better.

I’m not at all knocking the 5.3 but as I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, drive a 6.2 for one week and you’ll totally understand what make the 6.2 superior. I’m usually getting rid of my vehicles every 2 years, this one is definitely a keeper, it’s very responsive and does everything I ask from it with power to spare.

Good luck everyone, stay safe out there

Sent from Above
As a note: premium is not required. Look in your user manual and it says 93 recommended. Fuel octane rating down to 87 can be used with decreased performance. Straight out of the manual.

Be careful saying it's required :)

I agree with your notes about the 6.2 and 5.3. I noticed it a lot during the test drive. 6.2 has fantastic passing power, even when towing my 6k trailer I can pass effortlessly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have owned both the 5.3L with a 6 spd and 8 spd, along with a 6.2L with a 8 spd and now 10 spd.  There is a reason why my 2019 is still a 6.2L!  It's an amazing powerhouse of a motor. There isn't much out there that can contend with it, except the new Limited F150s and Raptors. 

That being said, the 2017 5.3L I had with the 8 spd was a fantastic motor/transmission combo. It did everything I wanted it to do and more. When I put E85 in it, I could beat my step dads eco-bust. I have driven a new 2019 with a 5.3l and they feel a lot snappier, almost like it was with E85. 

My father who is a mechanic loves the 5.3L, states it has more than enough power for 80% of the people who drive them now a days.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferrari Eater said:

Does the power of the 6.2 outweigh the practicality and fuel efficiency of the 5.3.

Yes, you have a Syclone, why did you buy it rather than a normal S-15?

• Like 1