Towing capacity

I just bought a 2018 Silverado LT Z71 with the 5.3 in it. I know max towing capacity says 11,100 lbs. I’m curious if you guys can give me some knowledge on what a comfortable towing range would be. Thanks! 

I just bought a 2018 Silverado LT Z71 with the 5.3 in it. I know max towing capacity says 11,100 lbs. I’m curious if you guys can give me some knowledge on what a comfortable towing range would be. Thanks! 

I remember that I saw this video recently. But to be honest, I didn’t understand some of the concepts, but I thought it may helps you.

23 minutes ago, Beau03 said:

Welcome to the site. 

These are the factors that will determine a safe weight.

How Much Can My Vehicle Tow?

Towing Capacity Examples

What is GVWR?

GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - Towing Capacity Guide

GVWR stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

What does GVWR mean? It is the maximum loaded weight of your vehicle (or trailer), as determined by the manufacturer. GVWR isn't just the weight of passengers and cargo but also the vehicle itself.

The gross vehicle weight rating is all about safety. When a vehicle manufacturer rates a vehicle for its maximum weight, they are taking into consideration the suspension system, frame, axles, wheels and other components bearing the load.

GVWR vs Towing Capacity

GVWR is the maximum weight capacity of a vehicle without a trailer attached. Towing capacity, on the other hand, is the maximum weight capacity of the vehicle, specifically in terms of how heavy of a trailer it can tow.

Flatbed Farm Truck What is GVWR Trailer

What Is GVWR on a Trailer?

GVWR explained: gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) refers to the maximum allowable weight of any given vehicle. A vehicle may be an automotive vehicle or a trailer.

In the case of a trailer, the GVWR is the most a trailer can weigh in total, as determined by the trailer manufacturer.

What is the average weight of a trailer?

What is GCWR?

GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - Towing Capacity Guide

GCWR stands for Gross Combined Weight Rating

What does GCWR mean? It is the maximum weight of your vehicle with a trailer attached, as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. Combined weight means the weight of both the tow vehicle and the trailer together. It also includes any cargo or load placed in either vehicle.

The rating for gross combined weight or gross combination weight is determined for the vehicle based on the strength of its frame, suspension, axles and other towing-related components.

GVWR vs GCWR

GVWR refers to weight capacity of the vehicle alone. GCWR, however, is a weight rating of the vehicle but takes a hitched up trailer into account. It is the maximum weight of a vehicle with a trailer attached.

What is GAWR?

GAWR - Gross Axle Weight Rating - Towing Capacity Guide

GAWR stands for Gross Axle Weight Rating

GAWR is the maximum weight that can be placed on the vehicle's front or rear axles. The vehicle manufacturer gives each axle its own rating. FR is the front rating, and RR is the rear rating.

The gross axle weight rating accounts for passengers and cargo, as well as the possibility of a trailer in tow. Exceeding the GAWR can be detrimental to the vehicle's axles.

What is GTW?

GTW - Gross Trailer Weight - Towing Capacity Guide

GTW stands for Gross Trailer Weight

What does GTW mean? It is the total weight of the trailer and its cargo. It can be determined by putting the fully loaded trailer on a vehicle scale or using a trailer weight scale.

Unlike GVWR, GCWR and others, gross trailer weight is not a prescribed rating, but a descriptive measurement. A trailer may have a weight rating designated by the manufacturer. This is the GVWR. GTW, on the other hand, is the actual weight of the trailer, independent of its given rating.

The GTW should never exceed the GVWR.

Trailer Weight vs Towing Capacity

Gross trailer weight is the total calculated weight of a trailer and its cargo. GTW isn't so much a rating as it is a measurement. Towing capacity, on the other hand, is the maximum allowable weight a vehicle can tow as determined by the manufacturer.

Learn more about trailer weight

What is TW?

TW - Tongue Weight - Towing Capacity Guide

TW stands for tongue weight

TW is the downward force exerted on the back of a tow vehicle by a trailer or towable load. It is greatly affected by where cargo is positioned in a trailer and is important for maintaining good control of the vehicle.

Use your smartphone to measure tongue weight! Check out BetterWeigh™

What is Curb Weight?

Curb Weight - Towing Capacity Guide

Curb weight is total vehicle weight

Curb weight is the total weight of your vehicle apart from any passengers, cargo or non-factory items. Curb weight does include the weight of gasoline, oil and other fluids necessary for operation.

You can think of curb weight as the weight of your vehicle, as it sits parked at the dealership.

Curb Weight vs GVWR

Curb weight is a measurement of the vehicle’s total weight -- that is, without any passengers or cargo -- while GVWR is a weight limit prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer.

What is Dry Weight?

Dry Weight - Towing Capacity Guide

Dry weight is vehicle weight without fluids

Dry weight is the total weight of your vehicle without passengers, cargo or fluids. Dry weight is similar to curb weight, except dry weight does not include the weight of automotive fluids needed for operation.

Dry Weight vs GVWR

Dry weight is a measurement of the vehicle's total weight without any of the fluids needed for operation. In contrast, GVWR is a weight limit prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer that dictates how heavy the vehicle can safely be.

What is Payload Capacity?

Payload - Towing Capacity Guide

Payload is the weight of your cargo

Payload capacity is the maximum amount of weight a truck or other vehicle can haul, in terms of cargo and passengers, specifically in the truck cab, truck bed or cargo area.

The payload is the actual cargo itself in the truck bed. The payload capacity is how much cargo the truck can haul in terms of weight.

Payload vs Towing Capacity

Both payload and towing capacity are maximum weight limitations determined by a vehicle manufacturer. Payload, however, is the weight limit of a truck bed and cab, while tow capacity is the weight limit for a trailer hitched up to the vehicle.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beau03 said:

FYI - In 2018 the only way a 1500 with the 5.3 engine could have 11,000 pounds tow capacity is if it has the 'Max Trailering' package. 

My 2018 LT Z71, crew cab, 4X4 has a towing capacity of 9100 pounds.  But the Payload capacity is what normally limits me when towing my < 7500 camper.

Edited by UnlimitedMatt