2-3 Shift Flare/Issue

My recently purchased '05 Silverado 1500 has no problem shifting except between 2nd and 3rd.

On upshifts, it shifts out of second, then there is a small flare, then it tries to engage 3rd, then it flares again, then it engages 3rd. It takes about a second and it's very consistent. 

On downshifts, it acts pretty similarly but it essentially acts like it's in neutral for .5 seconds. If I'm in 3rd or 4th and I depress the accelerator, revs out to 4k or 5k and then roughly engages 2nd.

Otherwise it's perfect. No slipping, normal shifts, normal idle behavior, reverse works well, no noises or smells. The transmission fluid level and color is fine.

I did some googling and narrowed it down to the computer, valve body, or solenoid which is basically not narrowed at all.

Has anyone else had and fixed this problem?

Edited by Ian Mills
Updating downshift behavior

3rd gear operates with the solenoids off (limp home mode)

When shifting into 3rd, the solenoids turn off, valve return springs push valves into default locations including a fluid routing that pushes a 2-3 passive valve into a position that engages the 3-4 clutches.

If you are not having problems in 4th, then your clutches might be ok. I'd bet on valve/body problems. Start with a full fluid change, and see if that flushes out something that be causing a sticky valve. Check your fluid/pan for clutch material. If the flush doesn't help, probably time to drop the valve body for a rebuild.

Hmm, ok. I had seen the solenoid positions online. Yeah, my 3-4 is good and no slipping in either gear. I might do a drain and fill and then if it's still unhappy take it to the shop. I don't want to drop the tranny pan in my driveway, I feel like that would cause more problems than it would solve.

• 3 weeks later...