Necessary minimum tire pressure

I’m new here. First post so forgive me if it’s in the wrong thread. 
I’ve got a 2019 Silverado 2500 W/T which is basically my daily driver, and the first HD truck I’ve owned. The recommended tire pressure is an insane 60psi front, and 80psi in the back (80 being the max for the tire). I understand the need for this when towing/hauling, but with the HD suspension on top of that, it makes for a pretty rough ride. My question is how much can I soften up the tires when driving with no load, without causing any handling problems, or any other potential unknown issues from lowering the tire pressure?  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

At my previous job we used to put the pressures are 50 front and 65 for the rear on the 3/4 and 1 tons if the person wasn't towing.

I don't remember what the min pressure needs to be to keep the tire pressure light off on the dash though.

• Like 1

Empty, I run low 60's front and rear.  I've experimented a lot with different pressure from as low as 55 in the front to up to 70 in the rear and there seems to be pretty good wear as long as I stay in the mid-60's.  Towing, I'll up the rear to 70, which is close to recommended pressure of 72 for my year.

• Like 1

i have a 2016 WT crew gasser and I run 55 up front, 50 rear.  Rides pretty decent that way.  TPMS stays on which is annoying, and dealer says they can’t change the tire warning threshold.  So there’s that, but otherwise it is fine.  Tires last a reasonable amount of time.

My 2018 2500 called for 60F and 70R

Some dealers will reprogram the pressures in the TPMS.  May not be true for all vehicles, but it is for the HD's -- I watched mine done. They used the laptop, connected to the truck wirelessly, and it only took a couple minutes.

I had the tpms set to 50F 50 R (whatever tpms numbers are programmed as 'recommended' pressure will show in the mylink app...)

For unloaded and not towing I set cold pressures to 55F 50-52R 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve dropped to 50F and 60R. Weird thing is, it didn’t set my TPMS off for a few days. My understanding is that if it falls below 75% of the recommended pressure, it sets it off. Thing is, I left it at 61 or 60 so with the cold weather drops it wouldn’t do that. It has dropped below that, but I’ve noticed even now, when it hits 61 or 62+, the light still stays on... wtf?

Okay, so I’m not sure what’s up with this site, but there doesn’t seem to be any category I could find for 2019, 2500’s. So since you guys have been extremely cool in helping me so far (thanks).. I got another question: I bought the OEM, color matched splash guards. I noticed there’s a real problem with the way they described the bottom screw on the rear guards. Either they expect you to secure it only to the the existing molding (which hangs down), or something’s wrong. I don’t see how that’s going to fasten it tight against the panel. 

Also, whaddya think about using a color safe (paint safe) caulk to seal up the cracks between the guard and the fender? Just to make it look nice? 

18 hours ago, Ben Dover said:

Okay, so I’m not sure what’s up with this site, but there doesn’t seem to be any category I could find for 2019, 2500’s. So since you guys have been extremely cool in helping me so far (thanks).. I got another question: I bought the OEM, color matched splash guards. I noticed there’s a real problem with the way they described the bottom screw on the rear guards. Either they expect you to secure it only to the the existing molding (which hangs down), or something’s wrong. I don’t see how that’s going to fasten it tight against the panel. 

Also, whaddya think about using a color safe (paint safe) caulk to seal up the cracks between the guard and the fender? Just to make it look nice? 

Both 2500 and 3500 are considered to be HD's.  (as opposed to 1500's which use lighter frames/axles/suspensions/brakes/powertrain etc.

All 2019 2500's have the L5P 6.6L diesel or the LC8 6.0L gas...so...

Anyway, the reason it's listed as 2015 to 2019 is they have the same body style, even though there were engine/hood changes. 

Maybe someone else has splash guard installation info.

Edited by redwngr

On 1/3/2021 at 2:59 AM, Ben Dover said:

Did you drill and install the two nuts and screws in addition to the two lower re-used fasteners?  Did you also stick the tape on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is a bit late but just purchased a used 2016 GMC 2500 Base Reg Cab.  The fronts were at 58 but the rears were at 55/53 and I got the TPMS warnings for the rear tires.  I increased the rears to 58 and no longer get the TPMS warnings.  Also, I now receive the trailer connection messages.

• 3 months later...