Leer or A.R.E. Truck Cap on 2024 Sierra HD with Fairing on some models

I have a 2024 Sierra HD on order and questioning fit for a truck bed cap.  My truck will have a small fairing that will contain the bed camera and 3rd brake light. The fairing looks to extend mostly across the full length of the rear window and extends 3-4 inches back from the traditional roof line which then overhangs the rear window slightly.  Has anyone installed a truck cap in this configuration?  I'm curious how the truck cap fits around this fairing.  Pictures would be excellent.

I have read that there is a camera extension that will allow it to be moved to the back of the cap although I dont have specifics. My guess would be that its not cheap. Not sure I would allow the cap installer to handle it though, I have seen plenty of their work and they are for the most part hacks. I always wire my own caps with the CHMSL circuit and a 12v setup for dome light constant power. 

The caps for the 19 and up models all have the appropriate changes to clear the fairing and the light. 

I would look for a Leer/ARE cap seller near you and check with them. My guess would be that they get that question often. 

I installed my ARE camper shell on my 2024 2500 HD Denali Ultimate from my previous 2020 HD. The fit is the same and the camera relocation would be great but I never messed with it on my previous GMC. 

F8E7CCD3-8EA0-401D-A91B-A34BF124CF70.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rear Bed Camera re-location to the  Bed Cap info would be great, if a harness extension is possible. 

Have yet to drive my just arrived  '24 HD.  Hear the Bed Camera view is much better than the Tailgate camera. My cap will be on the bed all the time. so do not want to loose a rear view  capability.

Thanks All !!

My '24 HD with a new Leer Cap.  Will have it  soon, as more is being added.  Wanting to see what other tailgate rear camera views are possible with the cap blocking that camera at the third brake lamp pod.

As the '24 cab and box wiring harnesses are all new, this dealer had a chore to get the schematics correct.

'24 GMC 2500HD & Leer Cap install.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:34 PM, Kerry Pulaski said:

Rear Bed Camera re-location to the  Bed Cap info would be great, if a harness extension is possible. 

Have yet to drive my just arrived  '24 HD.  Hear the Bed Camera view is much better than the Tailgate camera. My cap will be on the bed all the time. so do not want to loose a rear view  capability.

Thanks All !!

Camera Source - Camera Relocation Kit

My Cap will be on at all times as well. And did not want to loose the panoramic view in the rear view mirror / LCD display.

The camera "re-location kit" I found at www.camerasource.com, comes with a 25ft. harness, new Camera and Bracket, specific for a Leer or A.R.E. cap, to mount at the cap's 3rd brake light pod.

Have to unplug the 3rd. Brake Light  Camera from inside the cab headliner rear area, and route the extension harness out thru the bed / cap.  I have the kit on the way for 7-25-23, but asked supplier to e-mail a PDF of the instructions for today if possible, to read up on requirements.

6 hours ago, Kerry Pulaski said:

My Cap will be on at all times as well. And did not want to loose the panoramic view in the rear view mirror / LCD display.

The camera "re-location kit" I found at www.camerasource.com, comes with a 25ft. harness, new Camera and Bracket, specific for a Leer or A.R.E. cap, to mount at the cap's 3rd brake light pod.

Have to unplug the 3rd. Brake Light  Camera from inside the cab headliner rear area, and route the extension harness out thru the bed / cap.  I have the kit on the way for 7-25-23, but asked supplier to e-mail a PDF of the instructions for today if possible, to read up on requirements.

When you install it, please post pictures of the install process and end result.

Kevin , I'll see the truck latter today, but my Leer Cap dealer said, the camera wire ext. harness was about 1.5 ft. short, using the existing rear seat floor hole penetration grommet. So he added another hole and rubber grommet, and silicone'd it.

Otherwise the Camera Solutions install instructions I thought were very good.  I can appreciate this as an industrial machine service tech myself.

PDF attached.

CAMERA SOURCE_GM mirror cam relocation install.pdf

• 1 month later...

That camera that attaches to the rear of the cap looks like it would be a snow magnet here in VT. Does the truck need that view for seeing the top down view? My plan is to replace my 2018 GMC Sierra SLE with a 2024 GMC Sierra AT4 2500HD early next year and always get an ARE cap on my trucks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 4:24 AM, Kerry Pulaski said:

Kevin , I'll see the truck latter today, but my Leer Cap dealer said, the camera wire ext. harness was about 1.5 ft. short, using the existing rear seat floor hole penetration grommet. So he added another hole and rubber grommet, and silicone'd it.

Otherwise the Camera Solutions install instructions I thought were very good.  I can appreciate this as an industrial machine service tech myself.

PDF attached.

CAMERA SOURCE_GM mirror cam relocation install.pdf 3.01 MB · 60 downloads

Kerry -- Your Leer dealer is incompetent. I Installed the same kit on my 2022 3500 with Leer canopy and had at least 18-24" of slack left over when the cable was correctly routed per the well-written and illustrated Camera Source instructions.  This kind of typical  hack job by canopy installers is why I did my own wiring of the keyless lift glass lock/unlock and 3rd brake light.