2014+ owners having issues with their truck?

When Motor Trend first announced it was naming RAM as their 2014 Truck of the Year back-to-back from last year, I was a bit miffed because I thought the new GMC/Chevy was worthy of it. Now, I totally understand. I don't like the looks of the RAM but it sure would be nice to have something that doesn't have multiple recalls in the first few months, and doesn't have many "mysterious" issues that even the people at GM cannot figure out why it's happening and therefore they summarize everything as "operating as it should...". What a joke!

I have a 2014 LTZ that I am having issues with and not real happy but I have also driven the RAM. I don't care what Motor Trend has to say about the RAM, I have driven them and they are the junkiest trucks around. Front ends squeak so bad it's embarrassing. I could go on about having to disconnect the battery all the time to reset the security system because it would not start, interior squeaks, crappy HVAC system, rear axle whine etc., etc. Am I excusing GM, absolutely not. I paid more for this truck than most pay for a house and I expected much better than this. Hopefully GM will do the right thing and get this stuff fixed.

Bought my truck Saturday, recall issued Monday, and now I'm reading this thread. I'm feeling a little uneasy to say the least, but only time will tell.

Not to fear, not all of us have had troulbe. 10000 miles, and it's only been to the dealer for an oil change and the recalls. None of which effected the truck adversely. And I even have the dreaded GY SRA's on my truck. Good luck with yours!

Mike

You have to look at it for what it is.most of my issues are simple and not worth worrying about. I like the truck and overall if the would fix the problem I have I would be happy.

But my issue is that my truck has spent 29 days at a dealership to fix the same issue. 4 exhaust systems and the lifters rebuilt and issue still not resolved. So the issue is that I now have to go back again because the last two exhaust systems were damaged upon shipment (yes that's not a joke).

All for the same issue. Making it in service for 30 days and the 4th visit for the same thing. With only 16,000 miles.

So my frustration is there is not system in place to monitor the customers issues to find resolution and now technically my truck will be classified as a lemon by my local state law the second I take it back to the dealership.

I'm not frustrated with the truck, I am frustrated for GM wasting my time on something I purchased to not have to mess with.

Not sure where this will go but I got all the service records and details and a truck that has yet to be fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not to fear, not all of us have had troulbe. 10000 miles, and it's only been to the dealer for an oil change and the recalls. None of which effected the truck adversely. And I even have the dreaded GY SRA's on my truck. Good luck with yours!

Mike

I have to ask; why do you call them the "dreaded GY SRA's"

It's hard to show sarcasm in a post. If you read through people's posts, the GY SRA's seem to be part of the problem.

Mike

OK, I didn't catch the sarcasm.... I am actually a Dueler fan myself. When I sell my polished rims and tires I will replace the GY's with a new set of shoes marked Dueler A/T REVO 2 by Bridgestone.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've owned many GM vehicles over the past 10 years and I can honestly say they have all basically been trouble free. I am pretty meticulous about keeping them clean and in excellent condition and I've always been very pleased with their appearances when all shined up. I'm the guy that double parks at the Wal-Mart nearing the back of the lot to stand the best chance of no one parking near me as to avoid dings, etc.

I purchased a new 2014 Silverado High Country in January and I have to ask the question........Did the paint robot get extremely lazy????? It seems like there is very little paint or clear coat for that matter on this thing. I'm afraid If I coughed near it it would chip. I have right around 7000 miles on this unit and it looks like its been through a war. Scratches, tons of chips, swirls in the clear coat, etc. I've only hand washed the vehicle twice and both times used a new microfiber cloth with new or out of the washer micro fiber towels for drying. Both times I washed it, it made me sick seeing all the damage. I have not waxed it yet as I am afraid to get near it with any type of compound for fear of making it worse.

Anybody else experiencing this? My past vehicles have always stayed clean and sharp and held up well to the elements and that includes dark painted vehicles as many of them have been dark colors.

Has GM cut back on the amount of product they are using to finish these things off to save money?

I take great pride in keeping my vehicles sharp and in good condition, when I couldn't afford a new one, I was very meticulous in finding an extremely clean used one. I have to say, I wouldn't even consider purchasing my truck off a used lot.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Are most of the chips on the front edge of the hood and pained front bumper? Plastic bumpers would be a lot more resistant to chipping, even with the same paint quality.

The majority are obviously on the bumber, but there are chips elsewhere too, on the bed side where it flares out a bit any place that could easily encounter something. In talking with some body/paint guys they claim the lack of a solid and adequate clear coat will result in more signs of wear and easier damage. Guessing GM cut some corners here to save some bucks. Just stinks when you shell out over 50k for a vehicle to have it look like it's 3 years old already.

The majority are obviously on the bumber, but there are chips elsewhere too, on the bed side where it flares out a bit any place that could easily encounter something. In talking with some body/paint guys they claim the lack of a solid and adequate clear coat will result in more signs of wear and easier damage. Guessing GM cut some corners here to save some bucks. Just stinks when you shell out over 50k for a vehicle to have it look like it's 3 years old already.

My truck is 8 years old and I have no chips in the paint. The mileage is really low, but I believe that they used better quality paint back in 2006 too. Also, the front bumper has a chromed center with painted plastic cap, so this is very resistant to chipping. A bug deflector prevented damage to the leading edge of the hood. I installed molded splash guards front and rear when the truck was new so that helped prevent chipping in the areas behind wheels.

I too am very meticulous about my vehicles and hand wash them only, although I use an old bath towel for drying.

It seems that the only practical way to prevent paint chipping on these new 2014 trucks is installing a clear protective film in vulnerable areas.

Edited by pm26

Yup. 3M makes a spray on that hardens to a film. Wish i would have done it before all the chips. Especially the bottom of the doors, the front of the rear fenders where they flair out, and the front 7 inches of the hood.

Tapatalk via Moto X

I have a 2014 high country with 6.2 and I love it other than it has black smoke at start up when it sits for a while it only has 400 miles on it but other than that no issues and mine is tungsten and the dealer mixed me a small bottle of touch up just in case. Would add picture but haven't figured out how yet. lol