I am on the Tundra forums and I own a 2015 Tundra as well as the truck has not sold yet. I own a bunch of trucks and this one needs to go... it holds no purpose. I would not recommend the truck to anyone.... Slow, uncomfortable to ride in, terrible on fuel and don't ever drive it on something that isn't a paved surface. I bought it for one of my drivers and we fell for that "so reliable" BS....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by 1994Vmax

Interesting situation, ok recap first; traded a 2015 All Terain shaker for a 2016 SLT. Over 4,000 miles and so far no vibrations, although the 8 speed tranny has the low speed clunk. Here's where it gets interesting, traded my wife's 2015 Enclave for an upgraded 2016 with 20 inch rims. Drove it home and guess what? It had the shakes just like my 2015 Sierra! Took it back the next day to the dealer. They replaced both front tires and had to rebalance the rear tires. Drove it home and the vibrations seem to be gone. Dealer felt the two front tires had bad flat spots due to sitting on the lot for a long time.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time following.

Pretty straightforward Bill... I own a Tundra along with a bunch of other trucks and it's for sale. The Tundra forums supposedly have no complaints... well yeah like any other manufacturers forum they sure do. Any of you unhappy GM owners are welcome to buy my Tundra and join their ranks to see for yourselves lol. It doesn't need to be in my company fleet and I simply don't need that headache.

Edited by 1994Vmax
  • Like 1

Says who? Go visit Tundra Forums and you'll see they have plenty of issues and their fair share of people who are threatening to dump their T-ERDs to go buy a Ford or a Ram or a Chevy!

I've been watching all the forums as I can't wait to get rid of my shakerado, and I have found very few complaints on the tundras. No where even close to the RAM Ford and GM forums

Are you a member of many Tundra forums ? I am and I don't see much complaining at all. The vast majority of threads are about having fun with their trucks.

I havn't seen much either

Interesting situation, ok recap first; traded a 2015 All Terain shaker for a 2016 SLT. Over 4,000 miles and so far no vibrations, although the 8 speed tranny has the low speed clunk. Here's where it gets interesting, traded my wife's 2015 Enclave for an upgraded 2016 with 20 inch rims. Drove it home and guess what? It had the shakes just like my 2015 Sierra! Took it back the next day to the dealer. They replaced both front tires and had to rebalance the rear tires. Drove it home and the vibrations seem to be gone. Dealer felt the two front tires had bad flat spots due to sitting on the lot for a long time.

what size rims are on each of the vehicles?

Side note 1: If you haven't done so yet, check your vins for the most recent recall on the upper control arms. there was a recall for bad welds and GM has advised not to drive the vehicles until it is fixed.

Side note 2: I was reading about the 2017 F-150 and how its going to be getting a new 10 speed tranny. Turns out Ford is collaborating with GM on the design and manufacturing on it... now thats scary. Also Ford plans to use it in the F-150, and GM plans to use it in the Camaro I believe it was. so is the Camaro getting an overbuild tranny designed for a truck, or is the F-150 getting an underbuild tranny designed for a Camaro? let the conspiracy theories begin hahaha.

• Like 1

I've been watching all the forums as I can't wait to get rid of my shakerado, and I have found very few complaints on the tundras. No where even close to the RAM Ford and GM forums

I havn't seen much either

what size rims are on each of the vehicles?

Side note 1: If you haven't done so yet, check your vins for the most recent recall on the upper control arms. there was a recall for bad welds and GM has advised not to drive the vehicles until it is fixed.

Side note 2: I was reading about the 2017 F-150 and how its going to be getting a new 10 speed tranny. Turns out Ford is collaborating with GM on the design and manufacturing on it... now thats scary. Also Ford plans to use it in the F-150, and GM plans to use it in the Camaro I believe it was. so is the Camaro getting an overbuild tranny designed for a truck, or is the F-150 getting an underbuild tranny designed for a Camaro? let the conspiracy theories begin hahaha.

Both my truck and the Enclave have 20" rims.

Well after my latest "it's in spec" from GM I decided to get the BBB involved just to see if they could do anything. Not 24 hours after I filed the initial claim the regional division rep leaves me a voicemail saying they want to take another look at it and get a field engineer some time with it.

Well see what happens.

Well after my latest "it's in spec" from GM I decided to get the BBB involved just to see if they could do anything. Not 24 hours after I filed the initial claim the regional division rep leaves me a voicemail saying they want to take another look at it and get a field engineer some time with it.

Well see what happens.

Don't hold your breath. You're more likely to get a trade assist or buy back offer than get it fixed

Pretty straightforward Bill... I own a Tundra along with a bunch of other trucks and it's for sale. The Tundra forums supposedly have no complaints... well yeah like any other manufacturers forum they sure do. Any of you unhappy GM owners are welcome to buy my Tundra and join their ranks to see for yourselves lol. It doesn't need to be in my company fleet and I simply don't need that headache.

Thanks for the clarification, nobody ever said Tundras "supposedly have no complaints". Just go to one forum and have a look, the vast majority of threads are of a different nature than this one, they are typically of people enjoying their trucks or having fun modifying.

GIve it a shot

http://www.tundratalk.net/

I'm on that forum actually lol... I just don't post because... well there is nothing to talk about. The other aspect is Toyota sells a fraction of trucks a year than anyone else besides Nissan .. thus lessening the base of people to pull complaints from.

I went from the Tundra to GM so I could write a book about Tundra issues but sorry to say I did not post on the Tundra Forum. For the most part my Tundra was reliable and resale wasn't bad. Handling and towing way below average and fuel economy towing is a joke. I towed a travel trailer to Alaska and back and had a miserable trip. Carried 12 gallons extra gas and had to use it more than once. The fuel mapping is way off because the truck wants to run high R's (no useable torque) and 6-8 mpg often the result. Even using the select shifting is was almost impossible to drive at peak torque of about 3600, don't hold me to that # it's been a few years might have been 3400. And hills or God forbid having to slow down for traffic and then...try to recover, forget it. When I returned I provided my dealer with a scathing critique and lots of detail including pictures. Toyota flew 2 guys in and spent 2 days with my truck only to report "working as designed". And the 16's are still basically the same setup.

I had purchased a trailer with aluminum frame and weight of 4150 dry, never over 5500 during the trip. I also towed a snowmobile trailer that was about 4,000 and other trailers that were lighter. My quick summary conclusion is that Toyota still doesn't understand truck engines. Engine and transmission mapping are bad but the basic engine power band is more "carlike". Great drag racing but that's about it.

I went from the Tundra to GM so I could write a book about Tundra issues but sorry to say I did not post on the Tundra Forum. For the most part my Tundra was reliable and resale wasn't bad. Handling and towing way below average and fuel economy towing is a joke. I towed a travel trailer to Alaska and back and had a miserable trip. Carried 12 gallons extra gas and had to use it more than once. The fuel mapping is way off because the truck wants to run high R's (no useable torque) and 6-8 mpg often the result. Even using the select shifting is was almost impossible to drive at peak torque of about 3600, don't hold me to that # it's been a few years might have been 3400. And hills or God forbid having to slow down for traffic and then...try to recover, forget it. When I returned I provided my dealer with a scathing critique and lots of detail including pictures. Toyota flew 2 guys in and spent 2 days with my truck only to report "working as designed". And the 16's are still basically the same setup.

I had purchased a trailer with aluminum frame and weight of 4150 dry, never over 5500 during the trip. I also towed a snowmobile trailer that was about 4,000 and other trailers that were lighter. My quick summary conclusion is that Toyota still doesn't understand truck engines. Engine and transmission mapping are bad but the basic engine power band is more "carlike". Great drag racing but that's about it.

So from what you're saying, for the average person who in all reality doesn't do much towing, but may use the bed now and then the Tundra is fine. The new '16s now have an integrated trailer brake controller so they should be better at stopping as you complained. However every comparison review you will find says the Tundra is "worst in class" for towing. The fuel economy still sucks no matter how you look at it, they have also increased the gas tank size to 38 gallons from the 26.4 that it used to be, so there is your extra 12 gallons you carried XD.

The way i see the truck market right now is, you have 3 brands with a vibration problem in GM, Ford, and RAM (yes yes for those of you sticklers out there, not every one of the trucks will vibrate.)

Or there is the Tundra with its poor towing and horrid fuel economy.... I don't tow alot, so I'd take poor fuel economy in a reliable truck over vibrating to death in a fuel efficient truck... but thats just me

Someone find me a perfect truck and I'll be happy to buy it, I thought that Chevy was going to be it but that just didn't work out for me. And GM's response to the issues made sure that I would never come back.

• Like 1

So from what you're saying, for the average person who in all reality doesn't do much towing, but may use the bed now and then the Tundra is fine. The new '16s now have an integrated trailer brake controller so they should be better at stopping as you complained. However every comparison review you will find says the Tundra is "worst in class" for towing. The fuel economy still sucks no matter how you look at it, they have also increased the gas tank size to 38 gallons from the 26.4 that it used to be, so there is your extra 12 gallons you carried XD.

The way i see the truck market right now is, you have 3 brands with a vibration problem in GM, Ford, and RAM (yes yes for those of you sticklers out there, not every one of the trucks will vibrate.)

Or there is the Tundra with its poor towing and horrid fuel economy.... I don't tow alot, so I'd take poor fuel economy in a reliable truck over vibrating to death in a fuel efficient truck... but thats just me

I didn't say I had trouble stopping....I had trailer brakes and a controller. You must have read that into my comment about "slowing for traffic and trying to recover". Issue is-lose momentum and try to get back up to cruising speed.

And I didn't mean to infer that everything else was rosy. There were three or four recalls and several issues that Toyota wouldn't fix. Terrible infotainment system and Nav not as good as GM by a bunch! Strange very hard downshift and clunk infrequently. Handling not as good as GM, etc. etc. Drivetrain reliability was OK and nothing broke while I owned it. I would say the same about my 14 & 16 GM trucks and frankly don't think Toyota is even close. But if a vibrator is your only criteria the Toyota may be the best truck. But then if you don't tow-buy a midsize and save some money. The Ridgeline might be worth a try. All of the trucks seem to have some issues, although GM may lead in %. But this is getting off topic.

My 2016 had a suspension related vibration at high speed that GM/Dealer wouldn't fix. I was lucky and after trying rear spring clamps figured out that the issue was U bolt related. I spent $40 and fixed mine with 9/16" (larger diameter/more torque) replacement U bolts. This also got rid of some driveline slop and now the shocks work like they should.