2014+ Leveling Kits

What do you hope to gain going from an 18" wheel to a 20" wheel?

I would suggest saving your money for a meaningful mod., like a tune and keep your 18" wheels. Leaves you with a little more sidewall and costs less when it comes time for new tires.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Agreed, I would much rather have 18's with bigger sidewall, that the 20's I have, even though I like the way they look(All Terrains). I just wish they were 18's with the same look.

-Mike

• Like 1

I would say a set of wheels would be one of the most meaningful mods to any car or truck, it's atleast one of the easiest ways to change the look up.. Maybe he likes the looks of the 20s like most people.

Buying a different set of wheels isn't really meaningful at all. It does nothing but lighten your wallet and change the look, that's it.

A meaningful mod. would be something like a tune that will increase performance and increase the overall drivability of the truck. Another would be something like HID's that allow you to see better in the dark, or an unrestricted air intake tube,

Some aftermarket wheels look really sharp but the OEM's have come a long way and actually look pretty good on these trucks.

I can definitely see spending the money on a different set of wheels with different backspacing for a lifted truck but other than that, it's just a cosmetic mod.

I prefer 17" wheels because I use my truck for towing/hauling, and the comfort of a taller sidewall while driving off road. Don't really have to worry about a pinch flat that way, the same really can't be said for a 20" wheel with a lower profile tire. I still don't understand GM's thinking when they slapped the 20" wheels on the Sierra All Terrain. That truck should have received 18" wheels like the Silverado with Z71 and Appearance Package.

By all means it's your truck so do with it as you please, make it look the way you want it to look.

There is just no real benefit swapping the OEM wheels with another set of OEM wheels that are 2" larger.

• Like 2

Hey guys I am trying to post pics of my truck and it keeps saying the file is to large? All I am doing is taking a picture of my truck with my iPhone? Is there a different way to post pictures?

Use photobucket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Buying a different set of wheels isn't really meaningful at all. It does nothing but lighten your wallet and change the look, that's it.

A meaningful mod. would be something like a tune that will increase performance and increase the overall drivability of the truck. Another would be something like HID's that allow you to see better in the dark, or an unrestricted air intake tube,

Some aftermarket wheels look really sharp but the OEM's have come a long way and actually look pretty good on these trucks.

I can definitely see spending the money on a different set of wheels with different backspacing for a lifted truck but other than that, it's just a cosmetic mod.

I prefer 17" wheels because I use my truck for towing/hauling, and the comfort of a taller sidewall while driving off road. Don't really have to worry about a pinch flat that way, the same really can't be said for a 20" wheel with a lower profile tire. I still don't understand GM's thinking when they slapped the 20" wheels on the Sierra All Terrain. That truck should have received 18" wheels like the Silverado with Z71 and Appearance Package.

By all means it's your truck so do with it as you please, make it look the way you want it to look.

There is just no real benefit swapping the OEM wheels with another set of OEM wheels that are 2" larger.

Jeez guys, I didn't mean to create such controversy about 18" or 20" rims. Although some valid points have been made. One of which I didn't think of was having more sidewall on the 18's to avoid the pinch flat while off road. Still thinking and researching.........

you can get a pretty large sidewall in 20 inch tire sizes, especially with a level. I don't know a situation where I would need more sidewall with my 275/65/20's. Unless your going to go extreme rock crawling lol. End of the day , get what you like, not what some opinionated person on the forums wants lol

So in reading a bunch of this thread and being overwhelmed with so much information that I am pulling my hair out, can I confirm the following information with you all just to make sure I know what I'm doing. Because this is no small amount of money to potentially be spent, I want to make sure to get it done right the first time.

I, of course, would like to run the tallest and widest tires without rubbing. That being said:

I plan on getting the Rough Country 2.5 level kit with the rear blocks.

I am planning on getting some aggressive mud tires, but haven't decided which one's yet, based on which rims I use.

I have stock 18" wheels (265/65r18 tires), which I understand are around +27 offset. If I keep these wheels I should be able to run 305/65r18 (very few tires available in this size) or 305/60r18 's. correct?

However, if I were to get aftermarket 18" rims with 0 offset, I should be able to run a slightly wider tire (such as 33X12.50r18). The 0 offset wheel would set the tire further out than the stock rim, correct?

Same thing with aftermarket 20" rim with 0 offset would set it out a little further and should be able to run a 33X12.50r20 or 305/55r20, right?

I do like the look of a truck's stance with tires that sit out at the edge of, or maybe an inch past the fender well.

Also, I don't know if this will affect anything, but my truck came with factory plastic mud flaps installed. I don't think they would create a rubbing issue on a larger tire, but I'm not sure.

Your comments, questions, or concerns are appreciated.

So in reading a bunch of this thread and being overwhelmed with so much information that I am pulling my hair out, can I confirm the following information with you all just to make sure I know what I'm doing. Because this is no small amount of money to potentially be spent, I want to make sure to get it done right the first time.

I, of course, would like to run the tallest and widest tires without rubbing. That being said:

I plan on getting the Rough Country 2.5 level kit with the rear blocks.

I am planning on getting some aggressive mud tires, but haven't decided which one's yet, based on which rims I use.

I have stock 18" wheels (265/65r18 tires), which I understand are around +27 offset. If I keep these wheels I should be able to run 305/65r18 (very few tires available in this size) or 305/60r18 's. correct?

However, if I were to get aftermarket 18" rims with 0 offset, I should be able to run a slightly wider tire (such as 33X12.50r18). The 0 offset wheel would set the tire further out than the stock rim, correct?

Same thing with aftermarket 20" rim with 0 offset would set it out a little further and should be able to run a 33X12.50r20 or 305/55r20, right?

I do like the look of a truck's stance with tires that sit out at the edge of, or maybe an inch past the fender well.

Also, I don't know if this will affect anything, but my truck came with factory plastic mud flaps installed. I don't think they would create a rubbing issue on a larger tire, but I'm not sure.

Your comments, questions, or concerns are appreciated.

you can get a pretty large sidewall in 20 inch tire sizes, especially with a level. I don't know a situation where I would need more sidewall with my 275/65/20's. Unless your going to go extreme rock crawling lol. End of the day , get what you like, not what some opinionated person on the forums wants lol

It is more than that... If you ride rough roads all the time the taller tire absorbs more impact (also better conforms to anything the tire runs over), drive on beaches or soft areas where airing down helps, leaves the rims less susceptible to damage, saves on performance/mpg (except handling), saves on costs too.

Tyler

Can you post pics? I'd like to see this set up. Still thinking of what to do, and might just upgrade to 20" rim instead of the factory 18's.

I agree with BlackZ71Silverado about getting larger wheels but, it all comes down to what you want. Don't settle bc you won't be happy. My truck had 20" wheels on it when I bought it and I went to 17" wheels bc I use my pickup to go hunting quite a bit and the rubber will be cheaper for the next set. If you're really looking for some 20" wheels I still have mine. They are SSC Premier 2279 20x9.

Edited by PowderRiver Let'rBuck

I wish I could put pics of my truck on here but it is not working. I just did a 2.5 RC leveling kit and went with 305/55/20. Nitto grapplers m/t. Love the look of the truck and I don't have any rubbing at all. So glad I didn't go with 295/55/20!

What are u guys running for tire psi on these M/T tires?? I mostly drive in town or I drive 6 miles to work and 6 miles home on the hwy. I was running 50 psi but some people are saying it will wear the tires out faster so I dropped to 40 psi. Any thoughts?

Thanks