They know how to do it. I think what they don't know is how to ensure that all pre-production testing is done over a wide range of weather conditions. This should already be covered by one or two of the ISO standards that GM claims they are certified in. I know ISO9000/ISO9001 are some of them.

I would not let any dealer "try" to fix this on their own. What fixes it today, will likely now cause a different issue in July next year.

The reference in this thread to bi-metal contact is exactly what this is behaving as. Bi-metal strips are two thin strips of different metals, bonded together. One of the strips expands at a higher rate than the other strip, causing the flat strip to curl. It works in the opposite way when exposed to cold. On automobiles, the most common use was the automatic choke and non-electronic turn signal flasher modules.

All ISO means is that you make the same product the same way which is supposed to equal quality...... You could make a piece of shit, you make it the same way, every one, using the same process, you can be ISO certified.... Our facility is ISO... they don't ever audit our actual product quality just our operating procedures......

• Like 1

All ISO means is that you make the same product the same way which is supposed to equal quality...... You could make a piece of shit, you make it the same way, every one, using the same process, you can be ISO certified.... Our facility is ISO... they don't ever audit our actual product quality just our operating procedures......

Yes, ISO is essentially just a documentation system. But, if it is designed, implemented and used correctly, it will point out quality issues. One of the things is does ensure, though, is full disclosure. To the average consumer, that means very little, but, for the lawyer bringing in class action suites, it can now be used against the company. It is one of things that only works when designed, implemented, and used by morally minded people. Publicly traded companies tend to be more willing to let the system work as intended.

this thread is ridiculous. seriously, most of you didn't even notice it - which means that nobody else will either. I would hate to be the service tech dealing with this. Here is how I see it going down:

customer walks in...

CS agent: How can I hep you?

customer: I read on the internet that I may have a piece of plastic that sticks up 2mm higher than the rest of the dash. I didn't notice it and it causes no serious issue and nobody would probably ever see it, but i want a refund on the vehicle.

CS agent: A refund?

Edited by bogeypro

this thread is ridiculous. seriously, most of you didn't even notice it - which means that nobody else will either. I would hate to be the service tech dealing with this. Here is how I see it going down:

customer walks in...

customer: I read on the internet that I may have a piece of plastic that sticks up 2mm higher than the rest of the dash. I didn't notice it and it causes no serious issue and nobody would probably ever see it, but i want a refund on the vehicle.

potstirrer.gif Totally agree!

Shouldn't be having any material defects with the ridiculous price of these trucks..

Agree 200%.

customer walks in...

You always seem to chime in on these threads Blaming the owner for being picky. Enough If you can't support the owners on getting their brand new trucks "Right" butt out and shut up.

You always seem to chime in on these threads Blaming the owner for being picky. Enough If you can't support the owners on getting their brand new trucks "Right" butt out and shut up.

Telling me to shut up? Really?! Grow up man.....

I am simply pointing out that some owners get waaay too bent out of shape over some of the most ridiculous things. I get it, they want it fixed, I would too.

My point is that some of these folks take it to the extreme - start saying that these trucks are all garbage and what what GM thinking, canceling my order, etc..... There are many buyers that have not had any problems. Just look at each issue and decide if it is really worth all the stink being made over it, then work with your dealer to get it repaired to your satisfaction. NO sense coming on here and getting everyone all stirred up over it.

I'm with bogey, it's getting carried away. The price of the truck has nothing to do with it, it isn't a $300k bentley, it is a $40k pick up truck that is shopped out to the cheapest provider like every manufacturer (it gets treated to quality more on par with a Honda Accord than a RR Phantom).

So far I have not heard or seen anything related to driveline problems, just nit picking a cosmetic piece or faint sound. There was a guy I read about earlier that didn't buy a particular truck because he noticed a little condensation in the headlight corner, buys another (probably less of a match to his first choice) and it had the same issue. Buy the truck, have them replace the headlight, duh. Don't like the dash sticking up a millimeter, buy the truck, have them replace it. If it happens again, then wait for the redesigned piece. If my trucks worst problem was a cosmetic (especially something that isn't noticable to anyone who gets in it but myself) then I would be happy and not making a stink on the forums. Could be worse, could be not able to drive your truck because of a safety/mechanical problem or failure.

New products usually have teething problems, no one forced you to pre-order a truck or buy the latest and greatest the day it comes out. There are what 50,000 pieces in a new truck give or take? If one or two has a slight over look (it is designed by humans, you make errors, I make errors, we all make errors) it will be caught and a fix will be put in place for the headlight, dash, seat, ect. That is the reason I don't buy first year anything, just give it a year to see what they may have over looked and the changes made to correct it. I would like to see the # of part changes year to year to correct difficiencies at a dealers parts department.

Guess a ton of GM truck buyers have OCD.

I am really getting a kick out of reading these types of threads, kind of like the kick I used to get out of reading the "kill stories" on the compact car forums when I had my GTO. Ever hear a Civic SI with exhaust only claim to walk a C6 corvette then days later run door to door with a V6 Camry? Someone will argue relevance but there isn't any, just showing how much I enjoy reading the "complaints".

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

Um .. FORMER GM truck buyers. I'll never buy another one again. I gave them ONE chance, and they blew it. There's obviously enough people out there who will buy anything, regardless of value for your dollar, so they don't need my business.

30 years ago and back, vehicles were produced and sold at a price any man with a job could afford. They were built with pride, and were pretty damn reliable .. so long as you kept up with maintenance .... which you had to do a bit more of than you have to today. NEVER would a vehicle leave the dealership with shoddy interior parts that fit poorly - the public would have put them out of business in those days. Some of these vehicles sat uncovered in fields for DECADES, and with a little work, would still start and RUN. Try that with these electronic wonders in 40 years.

But back to the point. GM ain't what she used to be. I'll stick with pre '73 from now on. You guys can have all the squeaky, rattly, new crap that requires a $4k computer to diagnose. Have at it!

Um .. FORMER GM truck buyers. I'll never buy another one again. I gave them ONE chance, and they blew it. There's obviously enough people out there who will buy anything, regardless of value for your dollar, so they don't need my business.

30 years ago and back, vehicles were produced and sold at a price any man with a job could afford. They were built with pride, and were pretty damn reliable .. so long as you kept up with maintenance .... which you had to do a bit more of than you have to today. NEVER would a vehicle leave the dealership with shoddy interior parts that fit poorly - the public would have put them out of business in those days. Some of these vehicles sat uncovered in fields for DECADES, and with a little work, would still start and RUN. Try that with these electronic wonders in 40 years.

But back to the point. GM ain't what she used to be. I'll stick with pre '73 from now on. You guys can have all the squeaky, rattly, new crap that requires a $4k computer to diagnose. Have at it!

Yeah, because cars today are so much less reliable with worse fit and finish than they were back then. Even with maintenance you would be hard pressed to call a 1970's car reliable to drive to 150k (with out an endless replacement list), today no problems. Tolerances for the drive line are so high and technology has advances so much stuff wears out much slower and falls out of adjustment much less.

NVH of a vehicle today is light years ahead of the vehicles of yore (not just GM). I have done my fair share of wiring and interior on AMC's and GM vehicles, shoddy interior parts that didn't fit right was the way it was done back then. Ever try to line up a kickplate footwell vent or a b-pillar trim piece with an exposed screw and line up three pieces of holes? I think someone is living on a cloud.

:nopity: Guess no one has heard of second chances? Don't the let door hit you on the way out?

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

Ok, I'll bite. What is this magnificent 1983 model year you speak so proudly of? Chevette? Acadian? No wait, must have been the Citation. Problem with speaking of eras you were not a consumer in is that people that were consumers then actually remember how it really was.

BTW, going back 40 years is still no better. Just how many 1973 vehicles are still on the road? Remember, you think they were indestructible. Should be a good percentage around shouldn't there?

My grandfather used to buy a new car every 2 years. He didn't do it because he was rich, he did it to avoid having to pay repair bills. A 2 year old car would start costing money, and in that era it was cheaper to replace the car every 2 years. This was during 50's and 60's.

• Like 1

Learn reading comprehension - I said PRE '73 ... that means ... BEFORE. :noway:

Most people fixed their own cars back in those days. Because it was EASY. Yet another reason to own one.

You guys obviously weren't alive in those days to know what real quality was. AMX guy - those cars are almost 40 years old now - OF COURSE your going to have some interior issues! Back when they were new, they were TIGHT ,.. unlike my '07 Silverado ... with bad upper ball joints at 66k miles ... and bad lowers at 38k .... and .... ain;t got all day to type the rest!

Ain't a thing you guys can say that'll change my mind ......... just like you will continue to pay $50k for rattles, squeaks, check engine lights, and front end components that can't even make it 2 years out.

Like I said. HAVE AT IT! It's your money. What you do with it, I COULDN'T CARE LESS! :thumbs: