Noisy Heater Motor on 2014 Sierra

So here I am waiting for the dealership to decide whether to change my heater core because of anti freeze smell in truck..... now I am having issues with my heater motor. When I turn it right up it makes a really loud noise and you can feel the vibration in the truck from it. Its not a high pitched noise,,,,, and hard to describe..... kind of a loud hum and unbareable. Then when you go to turn the heater motor to off it takes awhile for it to slow down and shut off.

I have also complained about the stiff steering and service managers says sorry thats just how it is..... well have I got news for him. I do not enjoy driving this truck and am really wishing I had my 2007 LTZ back. The steering sucks. I only have about 1100 miles on it and have had it two months. Its disappointing these things are happening because its a sharp looking truck and does have a lot of plus`s. I am hoping something can be done with this.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to the dealer today for the noisy heater motor and they are going to replace it. They are ordering a heater core as well and will replace both at the same time. The dealer can't believe the bad luck I have been having.........and neither can I :-)

The noisy heater motor happened to me the other morning on my 2014 Sierra. I was able to feel the vibration through my brake pedal and on the dash. I tried it later that day and of course it does not make a sound on high. Figures.

Went to the dealer today for the noisy heater motor and they are going to replace it. They are ordering a heater core as well and will replace both at the same time. The dealer can't believe the bad luck I have been having.........and neither can I :-)

Hey there sasksierra,

Sorry to hear that you've experienced multiple concerns with your new truck! Let us know how your dealer visit goes when they replace the heater core. If there is anything further you would like us to take a look at, we can be reached via PM. Please include your name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Care

The noisy heater motor happened to me the other morning on my 2014 Sierra. I was able to feel the vibration through my brake pedal and on the dash. I tried it later that day and of course it does not make a sound on high. Figures.

Thats how mine started and then I forgot about it until about a month later. Just try turning it right up.... keep turning the knob even after the indicator shows full. Thats when mine starts making the noise. I tried doing this on another one that I tried out and it definitely doesnt do it.

• 1 month later...

So here I am waiting for the dealership to decide whether to change my heater core because of anti freeze smell in truck..... now I am having issues with my heater motor. When I turn it right up it makes a really loud noise and you can feel the vibration in the truck from it. Its not a high pitched noise,,,,, and hard to describe..... kind of a loud hum and unbareable. Then when you go to turn the heater motor to off it takes awhile for it to slow down and shut off.

I have also complained about the stiff steering and service managers says sorry thats just how it is..... well have I got news for him. I do not enjoy driving this truck and am really wishing I had my 2007 LTZ back. The steering sucks. I only have about 1100 miles on it and have had it two months. Its disappointing these things are happening because its a sharp looking truck and does have a lot of plus`s. I am hoping something can be done with this.

This same thing with the heater and the loud noise and vibration happened with my truck this morning..Mine sounded like the heater was going to blow right out of the hood of the truck and the vibration got pretty bad..How long did it take to diagnose and replace?

I was at the dealer the other day with this. They found a bulletin out there about this. As soon as it started making the noise I took it to the dealership for them to listen to it. They heard it and felt it in the steering wheel and pedals as well. It has since stopped. However, it's going to be -15° tonight so I'm betting it will be back tomorrow.

BTW I describe the sound as sounding like an old prop plane.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

X2....Turn the fan off, sound and vibration goes away....taking it to the dealer tonight.

I was at the dealer the other day with this. They found a bulletin out there about this. As soon as it started making the noise I took it to the dealership for them to listen to it. They heard it and felt it in the steering wheel and pedals as well. It has since stopped. However, it's going to be -15° tonight so I'm betting it will be back tomorrow. BTW I describe the sound as sounding like an old prop plane. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I posted about the heater noise in mid Dec. My heater motor had very loud sound to it . It wasn't a high squealing noise rather dull sound that was unbearable. You could feel the vibration. I took it to the dealer immediately and he said he would order a new heater motor. It was ordered Dec 18/13. A couple weeks ago I called to see if it was in and they told me it was on back order. So the dealer took the heater motor out of a new truck. I took it in there Tuesday Jan 14 and picked it up Friday Jan 17 at closing time. They also had to replace the heater core which would have taken substantially longer then just replacing the heater motor.

I hope this one doesn't mess up too. Could be from the same batch :-) YIKES!!!!

So how many of us with this issue have had the recall done? I find it odd that this had never been mentioned before and all is the sudden everyone has the issue. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I did the recall last week and this issue happened for the first time this morning.. And I agree with BringTheRain it sounded like an airplane..The last thing I want to do is go back in to the dealership.. I just got my truck back from a month long power steering debacle..I hate this because you end up being without your truck for days/weeks and they give you a tiny car to drive around..

FYI....as sasksierra mentioned this is an unbearable, loud, vibration up under the dash that you can feel. I actually opened the hood thinking there was some ice stuck somewhere in the pulleys or rad fan.

I think I actually noticed it before the recall, but chalked it up to sounds from the major snow and ice we have been driving on and always in 4x4 for the last 3 weeks. The vibration started getting worse the last 2 days though.

Archived