Front Plastic Air Dam / Skirt / Valance

Has anyone taken off the plastic from under the front bumper? I'm debating a leveling kit, but really I just want a little more clearance in the front for now.

If you've taken it off, has it affected the ride or mileage? I know i'm being paranoid here, but it IS a brand new truck. Want to take care of it.

I talked to a service guy at the dealership and he said it's strictly cosmetic. Anyone know if that's true?

Any feedback would be great.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure makes the truck face look beefy. I'm sure it wouldn't affect mileage at all if removed.. He's probably right.. Just for looks

I beg to differ. It probably IS for mileage. Helps divert air down and around the truck. However, unless you are doing a lot of Highway driving the loss in aerodynamics probably wont make a difference in gas mileage.

I beg to differ. It probably IS for mileage. Helps divert air down and around the truck. However, unless you are doing a lot of Highway driving the loss in aerodynamics probably wont make a difference in gas mileage.

Yea all the reviews and write-ups say it was added for aerodynamics so I'm assuming that translates into MPG

Yeah, I think the service guy is a little wrong. If you YouTube 2014 Sierra or Silverado wind tunnel. You should come up with some videos clearing showing the aerodynamic benefit of the lower valance. It's pretty impressive. Gas mileage may drop a little, maybe .5 to 1.5 mpgs. But if your lifting, your probably not worried to much in the way of mpg's.

u6e5e5a6.jpg

Tapatalk via Moto X

Totally for aerodynamics. Most people have no idea how complex this stuff is.. and how all these little things make such a difference. Mud flap in FRONT of rear tires? ... again another example.. just for aero.

Trust me.. GM spends millions on wind tunnels, engineers and testing this stuff.

After my level (2in) I lost about 1 mpg. And my front air dam is still installed..

If you level truck and remove the air dam you'll loose 3 to 4 MPG @ 77 MPH.

That much? Is that based on personal experience or some other research. Thanks for chiming in!

That much? Is that based on personal experience or some other research. Thanks for chiming in!

I did a before and after road test. Conditions for both were roughly 85 degrees and 75% humidity.

*The more air that passes under a vehicle, the greater the drag. The greater the drag, the the lower the fuel economy.

Anybody have some pictures of a '14 without the air dam?

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/gallery/album/2426-motomedics-k2-sierra/

I did a before and after road test. Conditions for both were roughly 85 degrees and 75% humidity.

*The more air that passes under a vehicle, the greater the drag. The greater the drag, the the lower the fuel economy.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/gallery/album/2426-motomedics-k2-sierra/

Looks "strong," MotoMedic. I really like it. I'm thinking I'll give it a full tank's test w/o the dam to see how it affects MPG. I think I'll geux for it.

Archived