Chevy brand passes Toyota and Lexus on Intial Quality Study

Gorehamj

JD Power IQS 15.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6/17/2015

In its latest 2015 Initial Quality Survey, J.D. Power and Associates ranks the Chevy brand ahead of both Lexus and Toyota. Chevy improved its number of reported problems per 100 vehicles from 106 to 101. That was enough to pass Toyota and Lexus, who both earn a 104 rating. Buick is in the hunt with a rating of 105. The overall winners this year is Kia (86) among mainstream brands, and Porsche (80) among low-volume specialty automakers. Only Kia and Hyundai are ahead of Chevy now among volume brands.

The IQS asks buyers of vehicle less than 90 days old to report problems in defined categories. Over 84,000 owners were surveyed this year. As has been the case in recent years, voice recognition and Bluetooth problems are what owners report most.

JD Power IQS 15.png

JD Power IQS 15.png

JD Power IQS 15.png

I forget, aren't J.D. Power and Associate quality ratings based on owner input? Kinda makes me think Kia and Hyundai owners are so out of touch they wouldn't know if it was broke anyway. I always considered Chevy buyers to be more scrutinizing, and therefore would report minor problems more often than Toyota owners (at least in my experience from owners I know...) So this passing of them in quality is a REAL move up. Anyway, that's my opinion.

I own two Hyundais and the only thing I'm out of touch with is the service department. Doesn't take much sense to know if your car goes, all the buttons work and no lights go off. Kinda of an odd comment IMO overall. It's great to see that GM is finally providing a more quality product, and it would be nicer to see if they believed it themselves by standing behind the product with a better warranty. I think their design is finally getting to be world class, but they just don't take care of their customers financially like the Korean designed Alabama made carmakers do.

My ex had a Kia. She was on her third transmission and the electrical problems were terrible. I have a friend that bought a new Sonata 2.4L a couple years ago. It developed a nasty rod knock this year at 60k miles. She took it in to get it fixed under the extended warranty she got with the car. The engine was sludged up and she didn't have any receipts for oil changes so they denied the warranty. $6k for a new engine. Looking at complaints online, it's an extremely common issue. Reminds me of the legendary Chrysler 2.7L sludge problems. No thanks, no Kia or Hyundai for me.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/2011/engine/engine_seized.shtml

Guest JohnS

All cars need the oil changed. When I hear that the oil is sludged up I already know the oil was not changed. All cars Toyota and Lexus had the biggest recall and now require Synthetic oil. On the new cars with emissions oil changes are a nessectity when called for. If you take care of the car it will last. most owners of lower end cars dont car nor have the money to maintain them. This is why you see tons of issues with them.

...The engine was sludged up and she didn't have any receipts for oil changes so they denied the warranty....

Knocking noise, no receipts for oil changes and the engine sludged up?

I would have denied the warranty too.

C'mon, this is no engine or manufacture problem. That's bad to no maintenance.

so long

j-ten-ner

Hyundai knows for a fact that they have engine problems, they're facing two class action lawsuits over it.

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/55863-class-action-hyundai-failed-disclose-sonata-engine-defect/

http://www.chimicles.com/2011-hyundai-sonata-engine-failure-class-action-lawsuit

"Chimicles & Tikellis has filed a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for alleged premature engine failure in certain 2011 Hyundai Sonata vehicles. These models may contain a defect predisposing the engines to experience engine bearing failure, overheating, oil consumption, piston ring land failure and/or connecting rod knock. These issues may result in catastrophic engine failure along with safety issues and expensive repairs."

Overheating engines cooking the oil, defective rod bearings, massive oil consumption. I'm going to go out on a limb and say her engine failure fits the description. Go check out the Hyundai forums, they're dropping like flies. There's more than one way to end up with sludged oil.

All cars need the oil changed. When I hear that the oil is sludged up I already know the oil was not changed. All cars Toyota and Lexus had the biggest recall and now require Synthetic oil. On the new cars with emissions oil changes are a nessectity when called for. If you take care of the car it will last. most owners of lower end cars dont car nor have the money to maintain them. This is why you see tons of issues with them.

Knocking noise, no receipts for oil changes and the engine sludged up?

I would have denied the warranty too.

C'mon, this is no engine or manufacture problem. That's bad to no maintenance.

so long

j-ten-ner

Oil was changed according to Hyundai specifications. Hyundai states that their recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles. They also don't require synthetic.

The engine was maintained fine. An engine that runs hotter will cook and sludge the oil too.

Bottom line is Hyundai has a ways to go before they can be compared to companies like Toyota. I agree with Nargg, their owners just don't know any better when it comes to quality.

Archived