LED Reverse/ Backup lights in rear bumper step cavity?

I picked them up on Amazon for $106.  That was with Prime and of course the 2 day shipping.  Usually when I want something on Amazon that I feel is too pricey, I just add it to my cart and check the price daily.

Anyway, install wasn't too hard.  I didn't have a 1 3/4" hole saw, but I did have a 1 1/2" hole saw.  After getting the location exact from one side to the other, I drilled out the hole and then used a sanding wheel on my Dremel to enlarge the hole.  If you have to do this, go slow and test fit frequently.  You don't want to go too big!

Install wasn't too bad.  The top nut is a pain, but a long flat blade screwdriver with double sided tape helped to get things in place.  Needle nose pliers weren't working for me.

No night shots, but here's the finished product:

vWPFi1v.jpg

HZqimP7.jpg

Edited by cdh7917

I picked them up on Amazon for $106.  That was with Prime and of course the 2 day shipping.  Usually when I want something on Amazon that I feel is too pricey, I just add it to my cart and check the price daily.

Anyway, install wasn't too hard.  I didn't have a 1 3/4" hole saw, but I did have a 1 1/2" hole saw.  After getting the location exact from one side to the other, I drilled out the hole and then used a sanding wheel on my Dremel to enlarge the hole.  If you have to do this, go slow and test fit frequently.  You don't want to go to big!

Install wasn't too bad.  The top nut is a pain, but a long flat blade screwdriver with double sided tape helped to get things in place.  Needle nose pliers weren't working for me.

No night shots, but here's the finished product:

vWPFi1v.jpg

HZqimP7.jpg

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did this mod last weekend, the light they throw off are amazing!  The pallets in the first picture are roughly 50 yards away and lit up like daylight!  One thing I didn't find in reading through the thread was what wires to tap into for the tail light/reverse lights (but easily could have missed it in 9 pages).  I pulled the tail lights and used T taps into the wires going to the reverse bulbs.  Black wire from the light going to the black wire on the reverse light, and red wire from the light going to the green wire on the reverse light.  I know some don't like T taps, but I've never had an issue with them, just crimped the metal connector down over the wires with pliers before closing the plastic cap on the connector.  I also wrapped everything up with electrical tape before closing it all back up.

After fighting with the included bolts/washers for a few minutes and realizing what a frustration it would be, I followed what others had done and used #10 3/4" stainless steel screws from home depot to attach the lights to the bumper.  Much easier than fighting it, and since there won't be any stress on the lights themselves I'm sure they'll hold just fine.  If not, I can always go back and fight with the other hardware later.  Great thread to find, and hopefully my 2 cents helps someone!

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

Edited by COshooter

On 5/8/2018 at 3:08 AM, 56kz2slow said:

Another cool way to wire it would be to turn on with reverse or with the cargo light

Read further up in the thread -- that's the way I did mine.  They are wired to the LED bed lights (which are wired to the factory Cargo Light switch).  When I turn on the switch in the cab the step lights in the bumper cavity come on.

Edited by sk
  • Like 2

Read further up in the thread -- that's the way I did mine.  They are wired to the LED bed lights (which are wired to the factory Cargo Light switch).  When I turn on the switch in the cab the step lights in the bumper cavity come on.
That's gotta be the best way to go right there. I'm definitely doing it that way when I get mine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk