LED Reverse/ Backup lights in rear bumper step cavity?

0f4003bfaa8a5211924b0da515d100c7.jpg32249b92a622d05e05ffa13450190274.jpg

I finally got this install done last weekend. It took me a few hours but I absolutely love it and how much light it throws out! I tapped into the reverse lights because it seemed a little bit easier. If you are thinking about doing this modification I highly recommend that you do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just did the same mod 2 days ago. I ended up putting it on a 3 way switch. On with reverse, off, On whenever I want.10340fcb15e325223cb03d114e68be20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

On 8/4/2017 at 2:14 PM, sk said:

That's exactly where I wired them. If you have the factory LED bed lights you don't even have to run the wires very far -- the factory wires are right near the bumper and spare tire.

I wasn't looking for extra reverse lights I just wanted something to light up the bumper steps when I needed to use them. Since it's usually when I get in and out of the bed I just wired them to the cargo lights and mounted the bullet lights in the top of the bumper step facing down. Now when I want to get into the bed at night I turn on the cargo light switch and the bumper steps light up at the same time. During the day you don't see the LED bezels since they are mounted in the top of the bumper cavity.

Do you remember which wire is the cargo light wire? I know the reverse light in the white/green wire. I'm thinking about doing this mod soon but with the rigid lights. I don't want to tap into the reverse lights because i don't want them to come on every time the truck gets unlocked. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CKrado said:

Do you remember which wire is the cargo light wire? I know the reverse light in the white/green wire. I'm thinking about doing this mod soon but with the rigid lights. I don't want to tap into the reverse lights because i don't want them to come on every time the truck gets unlocked. Thanks in advance.

I just traced the cargo light wire down from one of the lights in the bed.  On the left side it runs down behind the taillight then across above the bumper.  It plugs into a junction box just behind the spare tire.  I just tapped in there.

• Like 1

Lot of great ideas here..I wish i would have used the self tappers..[emoji14]

It was definitely a breeze using the self tapping screws! I don't know how you did it with the supplied bolts at all! There is barely any room to fit your hand back there. I'm glad I saw someone post about using the self tapping screws or I would be doing the same thing you did lol

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 6:35 PM, huntr1117 said:

I just did the same mod 2 days ago. I ended up putting it on a 3 way switch. On with reverse, off, On whenever I want.10340fcb15e325223cb03d114e68be20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks Great..I'm putting strobes in now that will be on separate switches for more lighting on the side, and back. Your exhaust looks like a Corsa? I just installed that one myself the other afternoon..nice system.. 

3 hours ago, SBAR said:

It was definitely a breeze using the self tapping screws! I don't know how you did it with the supplied bolts at all! There is barely any room to fit your hand back there. I'm glad I saw someone post about using the self tapping screws or I would be doing the same thing you did lol

It was a PITA, thats for sure..I never thought about self tapping..Thats the great thing about these forums, we can learn so much from one another..I'm glad everything worked out..I have dealers, people, etc asking my all the time if them lights are an option. I tell them no, but I can do them for them for some $$$. 

• Like 1

Has anyone ever seen these or know anything about the company?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Silverado-Sierra-LED-Pod-Light-Kit-p/70-253.htm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Only bad part is their not flush, so you lose most of your step. Fine for commuter vehicles, not so good for those who use and access their bed frequently

• 3 weeks later...

Great job with the installs and write ups guys. I've been thinking about this myself for quite some time.

Does anyone have any other lighting that would also work for this application, or is rigid the way to go?

Great job with the installs and write ups guys. I've been thinking about this myself for quite some time.

Does anyone have any other lighting that would also work for this application, or is rigid the way to go?

I believe I saw someone purchase a small single LED light off of Amazon and did the install that way. I have done some research and the Rigid Ignite series is probably definitely the way to go. It fits almost seamlessly into that rear step and does not interfere with the actual truck body. It's hard to judge the light output in photos but it is insane and helps a ton. I would never go back to reversing a truck without these installed.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the Diffuse option for Reverse Lights, it looks like Rigid also offers a Flood and Spot option... unfortunately it looks like they are only sold as singles rather than as a pair which makes them $10-20 more, but what is everyone's thoughts on using one of these configurations instead? I'm 99% sure I'm going to do this mod right after Christmas, but have been wondering about which of the 3 options would be best.

25 minutes ago, youn1033 said:

In addition to the Diffuse option for Reverse Lights, it looks like Rigid also offers a Flood and Spot option... unfortunately it looks like they are only sold as singles rather than as a pair which makes them $10-20 more, but what is everyone's thoughts on using one of these configurations instead? I'm 99% sure I'm going to do this mod right after Christmas, but have been wondering about which of the 3 options would be best.

I was debating, but I ordered the diffusion option after looking at some videos on youtube. The floods look awesome, but are more of a direct beam pattern. 

I think the diffused option is probably the best in my opinion and second best would be the flood option. Personally I would not go with the spot option because that would defeat the purpose of this modification. You want as much spread light output as possible and that's achieved by the diffused and flood lights. But it all really depends on what you are looking for too. I have the diffused and have zero complaints about the output.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...