I have an open end rear differential. I was wondering if I could switch out some gears so I could have a locking rear end, or would I have to get a whole new rear end? I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 2x4 5.3 Extended cab, if that helps for you specificity oriented people.

Yes you can, you just need to purchase a locker, I recommend the Detroit truetrac, you will need to find out what size axle and how many spline

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: egroj_legnar

https://m.youtube.com/user/jorgerangel159

Many options, but you need to decide if you want a locker (gear to gear, positive lockup) or a limited slip (uses clutches to limit wheel slip).

I will only recommend shying away from so called lunch-box lockers that replace the side gears. They are cheaper, easy to install, but can create issues later on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You can replace the open differential with a number of different types; limited slip, locking, torsen and a few others.

The stock one for your truck would have been the G80, which is the stupidest design ever engineered. It's literally designed to be a time bomb. It is a locking type, but will only do so under certain circumstances, and often won't when you need it to. Or, will lock up when you don't want it to.

For normal use, I also recommend the Truetrac, which is a Torsen type. It isn't a locker, such as Nitro Dasik noted, but uses a clever design to transfer power to the wheel with the most traction. A locking type literally locks the 2 rear axles together.

I bought my Truetrac at Summit, as it had the best price at that time. I strongly recommend you have someone install it that knows what they're doing.

I have to disagree - look up g80 on you tube and you will see how it outperforms lsd on other manufacturers trucks, and only implodes when abused - and no more than any other stock set up. I do agree with the truetrac for replacement. I replaced my open diff a few years back on my 2011 avalanche with a truetrac, and it is a great improvement. I also did my gears from 3.08 to 3.42 at same time, and 4wparts will sell and install. Remember you need to change fluid 500-1000 miles after you switch (which is diy), but let a pro do the install. I loved how it worked on my 2wd (worked great on boat ramp), and would not have upgraded to a 4wd but they discontinued the model, and I wanted a loaded final edition...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have to disagree also the G80, its a good locker as I have had them since 1987 in several trucks and not one has blown up, I have 4 wheeled alot and had it in ruff conditions but if people do burn outs, doughnuts spinning the rear wheels like a mad man in mud and so on (abuse it) sure your going to blow it just like any other locker. Hell I use to run 42" Swampers with the G80 and never had a problem. A lot of people who blow them just don't know how to use a locker.

X3 on disagreeing that the G80 is junk. I have put at least 2,000,000 miles on G80's since the early 1980's. Never had one fail, although I have had my fair share of rear differential failures from pinion bearings failing and axle seals and bearings. Most miles on one truck was just shy of 500,000 and I have a truck in the driveway that has about 308,000 miles on that G80. It had a complete rear differential installed at about 4000 miles after I had 3 failures (not G80 related) in the first couple of months of ownership.

You guys can disagree all you want, but IMO the G80 is an inherently stupid design for use in the real world. It's idiotic to design something that crashes small parts together under high shock loads in order for it to work. They don't just go bang from abuse, they often explode for no reason at all. They can also lock up when you don't want them to. Or, just not work at all when you need them.

I'm not the only one with this experience.Various forums are littered with complaints about them.

Also, the G80's of today aren't the same as the ones in the 80's. The G80's in the 80's were limited slip positraction units with clutches. I'm not sure when GM started spec'ing the Eaton crash and smash locking units under the G80 code.

The one I pulled out of my 06 was troublesome almost from new. I certainly didn't abuse it. It worked mostly ok for the first 30-40,000km, but then would sometimes leave me hanging in the winter. I took it to the dealer under warranty and it worked fine for another 20-30,000km. Then it started locking up when it felt like it. Not fun on dry pavement. After trying a bunch of things and futzing with it for a long time afterwards, I finally pulled it out and threw it away. Replaced it with a Truetrac. I'm just glad that G80 never grenaded on me.

At least we agree that the Truetrac is a good unit. It's also a lot cheaper to buy than a G80.

• 1 month later...

The g80 syntrifical has clutches with a slide bell between the spider gears they only work correctly if the left rear tire spins first but how ever if your foot isn't off the throttle before it locks it does look like a time bomb went off in the diff case if I could figure out how to post pics I would show you what I mean do not recommend the g80 which is a limited slip locker combo they are junk

post-170776-0-04644600-1490064456_thumb.jpg

Archived