Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Wireless Android Auto is awesome. There is a way to do it but it involves another phone hooked up and hotspots.. not worth it. I just plug it in.  To bad I upgraded my center console lid to the wireless charging . A waste of money now that I have to plug my phone in.

8 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:

Wireless Android Auto is awesome. There is a way to do it but it involves another phone hooked up and hotspots.. not worth it. I just plug it in.  To bad I upgraded my center console lid to the wireless charging . A waste of money now that I have to plug my phone in.

yeah, why I havent done it. I always plug in anyways even without AA. I use a vent mount and usually run AA on my phone. 

Got the full turn-key package from @th3magpi3 delivered on Friday, installed yesterday.  Works perfectly for both Android Auto and ACP.  He supplied and programmed all the necessary hardware and communication was excellent throughout the process.  I simply swapped out the old equipment, plugged in the new stuff, and turned it on.  Done in about an hour.  ?

To further the answer to my earlier question about charging power, I received the new USB plugs a few days before the rest of the kit so got a head-start with that part alone.  Just changing the USB was enough to move me from 1A charging to 2A charging on my old kit.  The old HMI/Radio pushes the same amount of power as the new but you can't access it with the old plugs. ?‍♂️

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 8:02 AM, Roscopcoletrain said:

yeah, why I havent done it. I always plug in anyways even without AA. I use a vent mount and usually run AA on my phone. 

On 8/1/2019 at 7:54 AM, RACERX7775 said:

I have done the slave device and AAgateway to do wireless AA in my truck.  It works, but it was a huge hassle to get everything to be happy together.  The deal breaker was the stuttering audio and laggy GPS.

I've since purchased a 90 degree angle USB cable so I can sit my phone upright in the cupholder while plugged in.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:17 AM, th3magpi3 said:

This video is AWESOME Frank.

Thanks so much for filming your install.

For any on those wondering this upgrade can be done on most 2014-2015 GM vehicles. It is not limited to just trucks.

Thanks again for filming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the most comprehensive thread on the internet for this upgrade...lots of great information. Hours of reading to get this far.

Will this upgrade work on my 2015 Colorado? If, so will I need to source modules from a 2016+ Colorado/Canyon?

Thanks for the help

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shout out to @GTPprixChris at WAMS. I finally got around to re-installing my cluster upgrade after a rework to fix the rear park assist, and a fix for a power steering notification. Works great now. I wanted full functionality of Android Auto with the steering wheel controls. This upgrade is well worth it to add to the Android Auto functionality, not to mention the cluster itself is a nice upgrade. If you are considering this AA/CP upgrade, give some serious thought to completing it with the cluster. Even with voice activation, AA was a pain to operate without the steering wheel controls. Voice activation alone was inconsistent. Thanks Chris!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

Big shout out to @th3magpi3 for setting me up with the AA upgrade. Took me 20min or so to swap everything over. Loving the camera in motion feature. ?

E3JMIT6.jpg

The new Android Auto layout really looks beautiful ??? 

Thanks for the kind words. 

• Like 1

Thanks goes out to Chris @GTPprix for providing guidance to my retrofit on my 2014.

I took my chances and bought all used modules from Ebay and Auto wreckers.

HMI 84156699

RDO 23402909

USB 13509942

Programming by WAMS

Total cost $330+tax.

My HMI unit went bad so needed to do something.

Works great well worth the money and a little hassle.

Edited by smokey1300

15 minutes ago, smokey1300 said:

Thanks goes out to Chris @GTPprix for providing guidance to my retrofit on my 2014.

I took my chances and bought all used modules from Ebay and Auto wreckers.

HMI 84156699

RDO 23402909

USB 13509942

Programming by WAMS

Total cost $330+tax.

My HMI unit went bad so needed to do something.

Works great well worth the money and a little hassle.

Hmi 2.5 with navigation or without?

not bad at all ??

On 8/30/2019 at 10:49 AM, flymhi said:

Frank, for the usb jack, does the entire cable need to be replaced to the dash or just plug in the new USB jacks to existing cable?

Plug in the new usb to existing cable 

51FB8724-BC46-4ADA-8542-A14050706FC2.jpeg

Edited by Frankielozano214

Just want to let you guys know that I have recently had my 2014 LT HMI upgraded from 2.0 to 2.5 and Th3magpi3 did it for me. He answered all of my questions and flashed both of my modules for a very affordable price. Everything works flawlessly and he had it back to me in no time. If y’all are thinking about getting some upgrades I’d definitely recommend his work!

• Like 2