Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

31 minutes ago, DwightS said:

I have an 104 radio in my 2015 Silverado, which I also just bough an 8" display, thinking it would just be a swap form the 4" to the new 8". After some more research I found that I need to have the HMI programed for the 8" to work. I contacted MVI and WAMS, both companies that do the reprogramming. WAMS was more open to answering my questions but stared to give me conflicting info. Can anyone recommend another company. I did not like how MVI just became non responsive when I started to ask questions.

Hey Dwight!

I think the issue is you may be having is when you started bouncing between different solutions which is why we kept asking if you wanted to keep the old system or go with the AA/CP upgrade. The "conflicting info" is likely what you're seeing as differences in services/hardware and costs. What we were trying to explain was if you want to simply go to the 8" version with the older system you need to replace the HMI only (and the screen obviously) but if you want to go into the car play upgrade you need to replace both the radio and HMI in addition to the screen; I think thats where the disconnect is.

My guess is being in this thread you've decided to go the AA/CP route which is great and makes this VERY simple. If you'd like to continue your discussion with us I'd be happy to go over exactly what this portion entails I see we've got about 25+ emails with you already :) 

Edited by GTPprix
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DwightS said:

I have an 104 radio in my 2015 Silverado, which I also just bough an 8" display, thinking it would just be a swap form the 4" to the new 8". After some more research I found that I need to have the HMI programed for the 8" to work. I contacted MVI and WAMS, both companies that do the reprogramming. WAMS was more open to answering my questions but stared to give me conflicting info. Can anyone recommend another company. I did not like how MVI just became non responsive when I started to ask questions.

Dwight, go with the AA/CP upgrade. Get the screen, new hmi, and usb in the console. Then have WAMS program it to work. It's so easy. Chris is a great guy. I had some issues when I did mine, but I have WAY more in my truck than most do. Chris never gave up. We finally got it fixed and I totally couldnt be happier. With the upgrade you wont ever use factory nav either. I paid the extra money for the 2019 map and wont even use it again. Google maps and Waze all the way...

1 hour ago, RACERX7775 said:

Dwight, go with the AA/CP upgrade. Get the screen, new hmi, and usb in the console. Then have WAMS program it to work. It's so easy. Chris is a great guy. I had some issues when I did mine, but I have WAY more in my truck than most do. Chris never gave up. We finally got it fixed and I totally couldnt be happier. With the upgrade you wont ever use factory nav either. I paid the extra money for the 2019 map and wont even use it again. Google maps and Waze all the way...

Idk man my carplay maps don’t sync with my phone since I updated to IOS 13,

I actually like the look of the factory navigation to be honest looks better and shows on the Cluster. I did like how easy it was to use the google maps when it did work tho

Before the update I could put the address on google maps on my phone and it would pop up on screen now it doesnt it just shows where I’m at but doesn’t show what’s on my phone screen as far as my destination just shows where im at no navigation route 

Dwight,

I see that[mention=130449]GTPPrix[/mention] already responded but also wanted to add to this. When I get asked about this upgrade, there are several phases for this upgrade that need to be considered. So when someone asks for a Denali cluster and they have a 2014/2015, I will ask if they’ll ever want to gain CarPlay/Android. I ask this validating question because say you invest in 14/15 cluster and later want to upgrade to CP/AA. The upgrade path would differ and new hardware would be required if you wanted to full functionality.

Another example of this... I posted a video on YouTube on how to unlock your HMI and gain some near features with it. Since this feature is usually available on 2.5 HMIs, some of the features won’t work or are not available on older trucks (2.0 HMI) which means you would have to upgrade to that hardware (CP/AA) to gain the most out of the upgrade.

Then once you get to that 2016 “spec” hardware, that opens up the ability to get a 2016 Denali cluster with the Blue lighting instead of red., etc etc.

So as you can see, there is a lot value there dealing with WAMS as they will ensure they understand your full upgrade intention so that they can offer you a solution that’ll be so that you are only buying hardware/programming once.

When I validate a customer on mirror upgrades and any other truck upgrades I offer products for, I try to fully understand your desired upgrade to offer a full path to that successful upgrade.

Hope this helps and hope you can achieve your upgrade desires. #ModOn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3