Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

What distinguishes the 2016 USB to the older ones?  My console had the older wireless charger, which makes me think I have the older USB as well.  A tone have the part number of the 3.0?

No your usb will be fine. You want to just make sure it’s 2016 or newer. They changed wireless charging kids but the usb is the same model from the 2016 and up.

If you’re talking about a Silverado/Sierra here the new usb will contain only an aux cord and 2 USB ports as opposed to the setup with the SD card from the earlier 2.0 HMI model equipped vehicles.

The ports are compatible from many models of vehicles made in 2016 and there are decent deals to be had on them. I have a bunch as well. I’ve used both 2.0 and 3.0 usb drives in them, they both work but you’ll obviously retain 2.0 speeds.

Also, I noted in an earlier post the new units actually output around 2.5 amps while charging. I suspect this is to combat the fact the phone is doing more processing while in CarPlay/Android Auto mode but I haven’t taken a reading from my old SD card slot from my 2014. Regardless, always nice to have a quick charge :)

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to keep posting them and I’ll do my best to reply. Also feel free to send me a PM regarding any other upgrade related specifics if you’d prefer to ask a few questions. I’m always happy to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No your usb will be fine. You want to just make sure it’s 2016 or newer. They changed wireless charging kids but the usb is the same model from the 2016 and up.

If you’re talking about a Silverado/Sierra here the new usb will contain only an aux cord and 2 USB ports as opposed to the setup with the SD card from the earlier 2.0 HMI model equipped vehicles.

The ports are compatible from many models of vehicles made in 2016 and there are decent deals to be had on them. I have a bunch as well. I’ve used both 2.0 and 3.0 usb drives in them, they both work but you’ll obviously retain 2.0 speeds.

Also, I noted in an earlier post the new units actually output around 2.5 amps while charging. I suspect this is to combat the fact the phone is doing more processing while in CarPlay/Android Auto mode but I haven’t taken a reading from my old SD card slot from my 2014. Regardless, always nice to have a quick charge default_smile.png

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to keep posting them and I’ll do my best to reply. Also feel free to send me a PM regarding any other upgrade related specifics if you’d prefer to ask a few questions. I’m always happy to help!

Quick question...
Do I have the right USB hub for the denali cluster/hmi unlock functionality to work? I dont recall the exact year my center console was sourced from (I upgraded w pgamboa harness); my truck is 14 and I want the VIM.

Thxdea31f7d35eb4500a78753e717b9a824.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quick question...Do I have the right USB hub for the denali cluster/hmi unlock functionality to work? I dont recall the exact year my center console was sourced from (I upgraded w pgamboa harness); my truck is 14 and I want the VIM.

Thxdea31f7d35eb4500a78753e717b9a824.jpg

You want the Double USB port.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232571860036

You also want to complete the CarPlay/Android Retrofit to take advantage of the all the features available for VIM and the full unlock.

www.WhiteAutoandMedia.com

They can also supply the hardware (brand new) if needed to ensure fitment and compatibility for your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/url]

• Like 1

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232571860036

You also want to complete the CarPlay/Android Retrofit to take advantage of the all the features available for VIM and the full unlock.

They can also supply the hardware (brand new) if needed to ensure fitment and compatibility for your truck.

Thanks Phil!
I'll be ordering that within the hour!!!
I have everything from WAMS programmed already and ready to rock just sitting in a box on my living floor right now. Smh.
Now I must wait on this usb to get delivered!

• Like 2

Thx Phil.
I'll be installing this weekend!!!b7031974beff71a6ea2ea023ab124b74.jpg

• Like 2

No the one in the glove box.  

It’s a cable with a female usb A on the other end. Let me see if I can find it. This doesn’t need to be replaced though and it’s a direct connection to the green jack of the HMI.

22 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

It’s a cable with a female usb A on the other end. Let me see if I can find it. This doesn’t need to be replaced though and it’s a direct connection to the green jack of the HMI.

Can this be added? I don’t have a usb in my glove box ?

I have a 2016 Silverado with IO5(CPO 200$ deductible), I was looking to upgrade my HMI from the 2.0 to 2.5. I have a spare HMI 2.5 from work, the PN is 8433 1775, can anyone tell me if this will work? I have the 8in screen with bose.