Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

38 minutes ago, thomascw said:

Thanks, turning off bluetooth was not a fix. My IOS was still on 13.1 though. Hopefully the update cures it. 

Updated to IOS 13.3,  seems to have done the trick. I plugged/unplugged 10 times and carplay started everytime with a 2 second lag. I had auto updates turned on on my phone, but I keep wifi turned off ; so it hadn't updated.

• Like 1

Without rehashing the entire 69 pages (which I have already read) has anyone successfully been able to upgrade a 2014 model (GMC for me) to he able to use AA without losing the steering wheel button functionality and the original red color scheme with the rest of the truck dash? I have read where it "CAN" be done, but not without losing something in the process.   I don't have OEM NAV and I don't need the XM functionality. I just want Google maps and the ability to use Spotify with it as that's all I use.  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks in advance. 

Kirby

Without rehashing the entire 69 pages (which I have already read) has anyone successfully been able to upgrade a 2014 model (GMC for me) to he able to use AA without losing the steering wheel button functionality and the original red color scheme with the rest of the truck dash? I have read where it "CAN" be done, but not without losing something in the process.   I don't have OEM NAV and I don't need the XM functionality. I just want Google maps and the ability to use Spotify with it as that's all I use.  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks in advance. 

Kirby

Yes - WAMS can provision all this for you after they validate your vehicle. They can supply you with all right hardware to make it all PnP.

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/2014-2015-5-c-k-platform-car-play-upgrade-retrofit-programming/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, John Kirby said:

Kirby

I 2014 Silverado with carplay fully functional, but I had the Denali Cluster also programmed with it steering wheel controls work, I think if u wana it fully functional you have to send your cluster out, I think they can now program your regular cluster to work with steering controls for Carplay and android auto 

Ugh, So what I initially thought would be just a 2.0 to 2.5 HMI upgrade has now added a radio module (programmed at a low price) and now a new instrument cluster as well just to keep the full functionality. With a whopping price tag of what? $800-$1000?....geez

Can't make anything easy...or cheap(er)....what would the fun in that be?! Lol

Thanks for all the input everyone has put in this. It's been a great thread to read.

Ugh, So what I initially thought would be just a 2.0 to 2.5 HMI upgrade has now added a radio module (programmed at a low price) and now a new instrument cluster as well just to keep the full functionality. With a whopping price tag of what? $800-$1000?....geez

Thanks for all the input everyone has put in this. It's been a great thread to read.

If you have a UDD cluster, you can send in that cluster and get it programmed for $199.

8347d4122bee972aaf7fa9992eb1fda1.jpg

I just got my HMI and radio module installed today in my ‘14. I had the IO5 radio and upgraded to the IO6 navigation. Installation was simple too. The 14/15 models will need the newer 16+ USB ports. One inside my console, and one up under the screen on the front of my console. I mounted my GPS antennae up under the dash by the windshield. This is absolutely amazing. I missed having the GPS in my old truck with an aftermarket deck. The GPS and CarPlay are exactly what I wanted. PGamboa on here and https://harnessdr.com, and and GTPprix over at https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com are incredible at what they can do! If anyone has to swap out their USB hubs on the console, I would highly recommend the $2 pick set at harbor freight to get behind the hub to release the locking tabs.

Any non GM truck person wouldn’t think twice about this upgrade, but it feels brand new to me again. I love how it will read my text messages for me without having to look at my phone.

• Like 1

So before changing the instrument cluster I changed just the hmi and radio and usb. I ha e a 2015 sle crew cab z71 and have navigation and xm

All functions worked on my truck. The voice recognition and steering wheel controls all worked. I wanted the look of the new cluster and wanted to change all my red to blue so I swapped it but all functions Including voice recognition worked. That all said

WAMS is great and quick as well. I wouldn’t say he is pricey but getting some of these components can be bc they are oem. The oem look costs but running 13.3 iOS and this full upgrade everything works and looks awesome

Also thanks to harness dr for the backup camera anytime harness

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Csjumper2003 said:

So before changing the instrument cluster I changed just the hmi and radio and usb. I ha e a 2015 sle crew cab z71 and have navigation and xm

All functions worked on my truck. The voice recognition and steering wheel controls all worked. I wanted the look of the new cluster and wanted to change all my red to blue so I swapped it but all functions Including voice recognition worked. That all said

WAMS is great and quick as well. I wouldn’t say he is pricey but getting some of these components can be bc they are oem. The oem look costs but running 13.3 iOS and this full upgrade everything works and looks awesome

Also thanks to harness dr for the backup camera anytime harness

Just knowing that GTPprix does all the programming for the GM dealers makes him a stress free choice. It’s definitely a limited market, but these guys know what the hell they're doing!  Phil and Chris teaming up together is a deadly combination. Lol!  Having the modules programmed from WAMS and the plug and play harnesses from HarnessDr is a no brainer.

Edited by cbrsilv15
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 5:08 PM, John Kirby said:

I just did (most of) this from WAMS...just shy of $1,400 when all was said and done -- had to get the USB port from somewhere else, but WAMS confirmed the part # and off to eBay I went. I purchased the HMI, radio and cluster from WAMS; received everything within a week. Like I said, I just did this...installed everything on 12/27 and other than my initial struggle with the USB port removal (I have the jump seat), I had everything swapped in just under 90 minutes. It is, as they say, truly Plug and Play. For me, it was sooooooo worth every penny. I travel 1-2 weeks per month and use rental cars wherever I go...having the same setup in my personal vehicle has reduced my confusion/irritation greatly! LOL.

32 minutes ago, laughey said:

I just did (most of) this from WAMS...just shy of $1,400 when all was said and done -- had to get the USB port from somewhere else, but WAMS confirmed the part # and off to eBay I went. I purchased the HMI, radio and cluster from WAMS; received everything within a week. Like I said, I just did this...installed everything on 12/27 and other than my initial struggle with the USB port removal (I have the jump seat), I had everything swapped in just under 90 minutes. It is, as they say, truly Plug and Play. For me, it was sooooooo worth every penny. I travel 1-2 weeks per month and use rental cars wherever I go...having the same setup in my personal vehicle has reduced my confusion/irritation greatly! LOL.

90minutes lol I think it took me 20minutes to swap everything, really nice upgrade for sure

15 minutes ago, Frankielozano214 said:

90minutes lol I think it took me 20minutes to swap everything, really nice upgrade for sure

For sure! Like I said, that dang USB port swap was a bit tricky for my setup...I had watched videos of swapping everything, so the cluster, HMI and radio were a breeze, but the two videos I found regarding the USB port failed to mention anything about a zip-tie/anchor that needed to be removed -- this prohibited me from simply popping it out (to disconnect the cables). In the end, I dismantled the cup holder cover to discover said anchor...along with dried up brown, crusty shi...err, stuff underneath. So I decided to give that a good cleaning in the process. Yep, that little detour added 30-40mins to my adventure. LOL.

So glad I did this and did it this way...thanks to everyone on this thread, especially Harness Dr and WAMS, I saved myself a great deal of time and aggravation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, laughey said:

For sure! Like I said, that dang USB port swap was a bit tricky for my setup...I had watched videos of swapping everything, so the cluster, HMI and radio were a breeze, but the two videos I found regarding the USB port failed to mention anything about a zip-tie/anchor that needed to be removed -- this prohibited me from simply popping it out (to disconnect the cables). In the end, I dismantled the cup holder cover to discover said anchor...along with dried up brown, crusty shi...err, stuff underneath. So I decided to give that a good cleaning in the process. Yep, that little detour added 30-40mins to my adventure. LOL.

So glad I did this and did it this way...thanks to everyone on this thread, especially Harness Dr and WAMS, I saved myself a great deal of time and aggravation.

Looked like dried coffee or something ? I had to do the same as far as taking the jumper seat apart to remove the usb switch, forgot I had to do that.

• Haha 1

Looked like dried coffee or something [emoji23] I had to do the same as far as taking the jumper seat apart to remove the usb switch, forgot I had to do that.

Think the harnesses I get back that I have to unwrap and rebuild. Some nasty stuff! [emoji23]

• Haha 2