Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

4 minutes ago, bradman0087 said:

will be ordering the HMI swap this month for my 2015 GMC.  Is it worth the extra money to get the navigation?

Thats really personal preference I think. Most people we see getting it already have it and want to keep it only a handful seem to upgrade likely due to Google/Apple Maps/Waze etc. I could see if you lived in an area with sketchy cell service it being helpful

Edited by GTPprix

will be ordering the HMI swap this month for my 2015 GMC.  Is it worth the extra money to get the navigation?
Chris is right. It all comes down to personal preference. I'm not the biggest fan of the factory maps and am fine using Google maps. Even in areas of no cell service you can pre-download that map area and the GPS in your phone will still navigate you.

If you wanna keep your IO6 an IO6 go that route. If you live mainly in an urban areas and want to just use carplay/AA go for IO5 and save a few bucks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, bradman0087 said:

I like it especially if you have the Denali cluster or if u want to do the upgrade, it’ll be nice to have. I use google maps most of the time but in if it’s a long drive I used the truck navigation.

62A11130-C7BE-4EFE-9FF3-B0D9EBB55423.jpeg

4E484442-38C9-414D-B730-B292F2D0DC91.jpeg

Edited by Frankielozano214
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, Frankielozano214 said:

I was wondering why it was cheap

af it doesn’t have navigation plug ?? I’d do/sell hmi2.5 with navi shipped for 200$ 

i got mine off a 2017 Silverado for $75 with factory nav and including the USB port, radio module was going to be $40 but th3magpi3 checked the VIN number from the donor truck and it wouldn't work as the donor had Bose system in it, I was able to get a radio module from Ebay for $70. It all has been shipped to th3magpi3 for programing. Can't wait to get it back!!!

HMI.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 4:33 AM, th3magpi3 said:

Just wanted to show off a mod we recently did for someone in Germany who imported a Sierra overseas! We were able to enable DAB radio, European radio frequencies and enabled all languages. We have done a few mods for people with GM vehicles overseas - pretty cool to be able to see these different options available for vehicles from different regions. 

IMG_20200403_071931.jpgIMG_20200403_071853.jpgIMG_20200403_010100.jpg

Hey man,

I became a GM owner a week ago after buying a 2014 Silverado and AP seems to be a priority for me. After a week of ownership and research I have been led to this forum and thread. I used to build Hondas back in the day so I have been out of the forum game for awhile.

That being said, I read 40 pages of this thread which started YEARS ago before I gave up and skipped to the end.

First off, damn man, you have been at this for awhile now which seems about right as (correct me if I am wrong) this is your way of life now? Programming and R+D mostly it looks like?

I guess I will start asking questions now. I have factory nav, Bose system and XM, so I am inclined to believe I am running the IO6 with a no good HMI and radio module. Am I on the right track?

I am having difficulty tracking down an HMI with nav and am kind of lost as where the Bose system comes into play. End result goal here is to retain all of the factory features. I am aware I need the big 3 pieces (HMI, Radio, USB), but I cannot for the life of me find an HMI that has anything to do with the Bose system.

What did I skip over in the remaining 41 pages I did not read? haha

Thanks in advance! You are doing some really cool stuff in this thread.

14 hours ago, Kevin Turner said:

I am having difficulty tracking down an HMI with nav and am kind of lost as where the Bose system comes into play. End result goal here is to retain all of the factory features. I am aware I need the big 3 pieces (HMI, Radio, USB), but I cannot for the life of me find an HMI that has anything to do with the Bose system.

The Bose comes into play because you will need a radio module that has Bose since you have it in your truck . Kinda simple. 

I did the upgrade as well on my 14 LTZ. I also retained factory NAV.  If i did it all over again, i would ditch the factory NAV since i only use Waze and Maps.  I even paid the extra to have the newest map update.  The hmi is also cheaper if you dont want factory nav.  I also changed my cluster to the Denali cluster. Which then made me change all of my controls to the GMC red. I then told WAMS while he was programming my hmi, to program it to GMC INTELLILINK. So now the entire dash is the red theme. 

Check out WAMS also. Great guy. Look at some of the other features that WAMS can unlock for you too while hes doing the programming.

20191209_113919.jpg

Edited by RACERX7775
  • Like 1

Hey all,

Just wanted to say that I have graciously returned to the forums and I am happy to continue to provide this service to anyone who is interested in it! 

I will personally beat ANY quoted price for the programming. Our rate is $100 for a radio/HMI programming combo. I do not charge an additional $100 if your parts are mismatched.

If anyone is interested in learning more please reach out to me via PM.

Thank you to everyone who messaged me in my absence, I'm very excited to share some new developments I've been working on with everyone. Stay tuned  

I will send you a message. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bradman0087 said:

Trying to get ahold of Coastal Flash,(TheMagpie) no reply to email, pm or phone calls have an issue.

Hmm. Hes usually really fast at replying... Would it be fair to ask what your issue is?  Maybe someone could help.

I purchased an hmi 2.5 front Eynon GMC dealer to get navigation. They installed the unit and now the 8 inch screen say gmc denali and the small cluster driver info says CHEVY. I told them I wasn't happy with this so they refunded my my money. I also purchased a hmi 2.5 from infotainment.com and had the same issue with chevy icon showing up on the drivers small cluster. What I want is to have projection and or android auto on my screen so I can use either 1 to get google maps or waze. MY current HMI is a 2.0. My vehicle is a 2016 GMC sierra slt. Can you help me ? I just want both clusters to say GMC and have the ability to use projection or android auto to get maps from my iphone. Or should I get your nav 2.5 hmi? 

I purchased an hmi 2.5 front Eynon GMC dealer to get navigation. They installed the unit and now the 8 inch screen say gmc denali and the small cluster driver info says CHEVY. I told them I wasn't happy with this so they refunded my my money. I also purchased a hmi 2.5 from infotainment.com and had the same issue with chevy icon showing up on the drivers small cluster. What I want is to have projection and or android auto on my screen so I can use either 1 to get google maps or waze. MY current HMI is a 2.0. My vehicle is a 2016 GMC sierra slt. Can you help me ? I just want both clusters to say GMC and have the ability to use projection or android auto to get maps from my iphone. Or should I get your nav 2.5 hmi? 

Mark,

Please check your email we replied 3 minutes after the same inquiry above :)

so your telling me that your unit will say GMC on both splash cluters ? Have navigation and the icons for projection and android auto?

It will be proper for your application yes, it’s all in your email :)

• 2 weeks later...

Question for everyone but first a little back ground. I've been having issues lately in my 2014 Silverado, IO5, non-Bose. Basically the infotainment system locks up constantly. When it does, you can't change volume, can't change stations/sources, and can't even turn it off. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds, sometimes up to an hour. At any rate, I've taken it in multiple times and only recently did the dealer give me any sort of answer. They chalked it up to a faulty HMI. So I replaced the HMI, guess what, the problem remains. Now they're telling me that it's actually the amplifier in the radio module and quoted me $1100 to replace it. Obviously I noped right out of there. I did some digging and found a replacement part for the amplifier in the radio module (a $5 part), replaced that chip and the problem is still there. So my question is does this sound like an issue that would be remedied by replacing the radio module? If so i'm leaning towards upgrading to the 2.5 HMI because why not at this point. From what I've been able to glean from this thread is that I'll need to replace the radio module + the HMI + the usb port. Am I on the right track here?

Question for everyone but first a little back ground. I've been having issues lately in my 2014 Silverado, IO5, non-Bose. Basically the infotainment system locks up constantly. When it does, you can't change volume, can't change stations/sources, and can't even turn it off. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds, sometimes up to an hour. At any rate, I've taken it in multiple times and only recently did the dealer give me any sort of answer. They chalked it up to a faulty HMI. So I replaced the HMI, guess what, the problem remains. Now they're telling me that it's actually the amplifier in the radio module and quoted me $1100 to replace it. Obviously I noped right out of there. I did some digging and found a replacement part for the amplifier in the radio module (a $5 part), replaced that chip and the problem is still there. So my question is does this sound like an issue that would be remedied by replacing the radio module? If so i'm leaning towards upgrading to the 2.5 HMI because why not at this point. From what I've been able to glean from this thread is that I'll need to replace the radio module + the HMI + the usb port. Am I on the right track here?

Yup that’s the basics of it all ;)