Leveling with Bilstein 5100

10 hours ago, Grjfer said:

If you are just looking to replace the stock shocks I'd suggest the Bilstein 4600's. Per Bilstein they have the same valving minus any lift capability. 

For those who prefer the silver body with black boot, go with the 5100s. 5100 has a slightly longer rod for leveled trucks.

The 4600 is identical in internal valving but painted yellow with a blue boot.

5100 is more attractive if you ask me :thumbs: The 4600 reminds me of a cheap looking Monroe shock.

There would be no harm in keeping the 5100 at the bottom snap ring groove/stock position.

I do like the look of the 5100's over the 4600's. Local 4WheelParts outlet has both in stock. $279 for the 4600's and $379 for the 5100's.

For that little bit extra I'll probably go with the 5100's just for the look.

If I had a money tree I'd figure out how to adapt a set of QA1 double adjustable coilovers onto the truck. Had those on a previous vehicle and dialing in the correct rebound and bound damping was awesome. Had multiple "preset's" figured out depending on what I was doing, and was able to adjust to those settings in minutes. Really cool setup, but easily 4 times the cost of some stock replacements.

1 hour ago, Grjfer said:

@Sierra Dan I agree that the silver/black of the 5100's does look better, but @2kwik4u stated no desire to level, and wanted options. Hence the suggestion for the 4600. Another would be the Eibachs. 

Jay,

I was making note and pointing out the fact that 5100s will work in the stock setting configuration.

2kwik4u may prefer the silver look vs the yellow. Yes there is a price difference.

In his case it may be a matter of form over function. 

I've run the 5100's for 50,000 miles on my 2016, set at the 3rd setting. I run 275/70R18 Cooper St/Maxx tires (33.3" tall). My truck is not level- it still has a rake, which is fine for me because I do haul loads. I also have Timberens in the rear to support heavy loads. 

I'd say if you want 'level' go with the 4th setting. Be aware that towing or load hauling you will be really nose high as a result. I'd say get Timberens if your'e gonna tow or haul loads. 

Here's how it looks in its' natural habitat. 

7VS3g9H.jpg

Edited by Threerun

Thanks for the replies. 

This might end up being a "vanity" purchase just for the look of the 5100's. The do certainly look a good bit nicer than the 4600's. 

Have to see how this tax return thing works out. Wife is already talking new couch. Don't tell her I've already ordered a new bed cover :D:D

Good day guys,

i have a question regarding the bilstein 5100s i love the looks of the silver ones but i have read somewhere that the stock setting on rear shock wont be exactly oem as slight lift will be there, unlike the 4600s which will give exact oem height settings. Is that correct? Anyone tried checking on this?

On 2/3/2019 at 10:22 AM, Khalid123 said:

Good day guys,

i have a question regarding the bilstein 5100s i love the looks of the silver ones but i have read somewhere that the stock setting on rear shock wont be exactly oem as slight lift will be there, unlike the 4600s which will give exact oem height settings. Is that correct? Anyone tried checking on this?

The rear shocks are not adjustable and will not add any lift. They will support up to a 1 inch lift, but you have to change the rear block for that. Hope that helps. 

Cam

• 5 months later...