Leveling with Bilstein 5100

^ Why even get those for lifting then, you may not even notice 3/4 inch lift. Set it to 4 and you will still have some rake. Unless you tow often.

And guys, remember to aim your headlights down when you level. An overlooked last step :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2018 at 12:35 PM, Kubs said:

I also installed Firestone Ride Rite air bags to keep the truck level when towing.  Its rides great loaded or unloaded.

41693217835_85569b6c78_k.jpgIMG_20180601_140227534_HDR[1] by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

When did you install the airbags? I just installed the 5100's on the 3rd setting because tow frequently at times (depends on the time of year). I knew going j. I was going to have to do something to the rear end for towing. I have been debating airbags or just throwing an Add a leaf on instead. I live in NY ask the winters can be harsh sometimes and I'm just worried about airbags having problems in the snow/cold etc. 

On 10/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, sammiller86 said:

When did you install the airbags? I just installed the 5100's on the 3rd setting because tow frequently at times (depends on the time of year). I knew going j. I was going to have to do something to the rear end for towing. I have been debating airbags or just throwing an Add a leaf on instead. I live in NY ask the winters can be harsh sometimes and I'm just worried about airbags having problems in the snow/cold etc. 

I just bought the truck in April and installed the bags in May.  I have not driven through snow with them yet.  If you tow frequently though it is a good investment.  Firestone makes good quality rubber air bags.  I doubt it will be an issue in winter up here.

Just about very modern large truck, and many trailers, runs airbags.

I wouldn’t worry about winter weather, they’ve been proven to work in all weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where do you guys mount the schrader valves? I'm going to stick with the manual inflation until I can save up some money for the onboard compressor in the spring probably. I was thinking of mounting them in the gas cap to keep them away from dirt/snow people's feet etc so they are protected? Is there enough room in there for both valves?

22 minutes ago, sammiller86 said:

Where do you guys mount the schrader valves? I'm going to stick with the manual inflation until I can save up some money for the onboard compressor in the spring probably. I was thinking of mounting them in the gas cap to keep them away from dirt/snow people's feet etc so they are protected? Is there enough room in there for both valves?

I use my valves to hold the license plate on.

42063005032_c120c5ee8b_k.jpgIMG_20180511_180815496 by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2018 at 7:39 AM, Paul_Aris said:

I tow so has anyone gone on the tallest notch on the front and 1 up from stock on the rear? Wonder what that would be like height wise and when towing? Or it appears the rears ones may not be adjustable. 

FWIW I have Bilstein 5100's all 4 corners top setting in front w/ 33" 275/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers + 2.25" (+1") rear blocks. My total before/after ride height for the front was a hair over 2.5"....so either the bilsteins @ top setting are really more like 2" or the tires are a little taller or combo of both. I run 44 psi front 42 rear.

I had 2200 lbs of rocks in the bed w/ this setup & it did not appear nose high, it still looked level - that isn't apples to apples to towing a trailer, but I think if you're not maxing it out you'll still have a level ride height may even maintain some rake depending on tongue weight.

Here are some pics w/ this setup (no weight in the bed though) - its tough to really see the amount of clearance added w/ the thick stock running boards, but its significant & really is the perfect stance for this generation of GM 1/2 tons IMO. I removed the front chin spoiler/air dam/diffuser (whatever you wanna call it) & that really added to the "lifted" look of the trucks stance, also improved overall clearance, I noticed MAYBE 1/2 mpg difference on the highway, although that could also be attributed to the height increase in general. 

Actually, I think running 275/65R20's would be the PERFECT look/height, except you can't get a non-LT 8+ply AT tire in that size & I didn't like the drop in acceleration/braking/MPG performance w/ the heavier LT tires so decided to stick w/ the 275/60R20 Nittos.

Lastly - 2 pieces of advice, #1 if you get these shocks I'd hit em up w/ some spray can clear coat before installing so they stay nice looking, they have stainless steel body but is 400 series & will oxidize in salty road conditions. #2 - if I were to do it all over again I would look into Eibach's setup as well - they are American made quality shocks & they offer a similar adjustable gas charged shock but also offer it w/ matching front springs (for a lil more $$$). I am satisfied w/ the Bilsteins though & will probably replace them w/ the same model once they're worn out - I have over 50k miles on them so far though & still ride like they did when new.

nitto2.png

nittos11.png

Edited by crushNchowda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, 2kwik4u said:

Does anyone have the 5100 shocks and have them set on the "stock" setting? I have no desire to level or raise the truck at all. I have a strong desire to dump the POS Rancho shocks that are entirely too stiff for this vehicle.

If you are just looking to replace the stock shocks I'd suggest the Bilstein 4600's. Per Bilstein they have the same valving minus any lift capability.