Max Towing Weight?

Hey Forum,

I am trying to find out what exactly my max tow rating is.  First off, I have believed since I owned the truck that it had 3.73 gears.  I requested the build sheet from GM and turns out I actually have 3.08 gears (RPO code GU4).  I also thought I had the heavy duty tow package (RPO code Z85), but the build sheet says I have the "Trailering Package (Special)(Reese Type Hitch)" which is RPO code Z82.  The sticker on the drivers side says the weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed 1577 lbs.  So, 7700lbs GVWR - 1577lbs cargo capacity = 6,123lbs curb weight?

According to the below site, the max towing capacity is 11,200lbs with 3.73 and max trailer tow, which is what I thought I had.  With 3.08 gears and no max tow package, it is only 6,600 lbs, which is a huge difference keeping safety in mind.  The guide does mention Z82 as the heavy duty package, but does not explicitly call Z82 the "Max Trailering Package".  What i think is happening here is the Z82 is the Max Trailering Package on a Z71.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2014/chevrolet/Multiple Model PDFs/MY14 Trailering Guide_1113.13 - Equinox.pdf

So, now that I am unsure of what exactly my tow rating is, I just want to confirm I know the correct limits of my truck.

Truck: 2014 Silverado Crew Cab, LTZ Z71, Short Box

RPO codes that may help:

GU4: Axle, Rear, 3.08 Ratio

JD9: Brake Vac Power, 17" Disc/Disc, W/VSES, 7700 LBS

JL1: Control, Integrated Trailer Brake

KC4: Cooling System, Engine Oil

KNP: Cooling System, Transmission, Heavy Duty

L83: Engine Gas, 8 CYL, 5.3L, SIDI VVT, AFM, E85 MAX, ALUM, GM

MYC: Transmission Auto 6SPD, HMD, 6L-80

Z82: Trailering Package (Special)(Reese Type Hitch)

Again, I have the full build sheet so just let me know if that would help you guys help me :)

I sent another email off to GM to see if they can provide a VIN specific tow rating, like there are doing now with the 2019s.  Will let you know if they come back with anything.  I've only towed over 6,600 lbs on two occasions which is why the rating being so low really caught my attention.

The only thing different between your truck and mine is the gear ratios. But I can somehow tow 3,000 lbs more.

I think you just need to be aware that it takes a while for you to get a heavy trailer moving. If you're not pulling up mountains, I think you'll survive pushing the limit once in a while. You should have the same brakes and suspension, so those aren't any issue.

3 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

Hey Forum,

I am trying to find out what exactly my max tow rating is.  First off, I have believed since I owned the truck that it had 3.73 gears.  I requested the build sheet from GM and turns out I actually have 3.08 gears (RPO code GU4).  I also thought I had the heavy duty tow package (RPO code Z85), but the build sheet says I have the "Trailering Package (Special)(Reese Type Hitch)" which is RPO code Z82.  The sticker on the drivers side says the weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed 1577 lbs.  So, 7700lbs GVWR - 1577lbs cargo capacity = 6,123lbs curb weight?

According to the below site, the max towing capacity is 11,200lbs with 3.73 and max trailer tow, which is what I thought I had.  With 3.08 gears and no max tow package, it is only 6,600 lbs, which is a huge difference keeping safety in mind.  The guide does mention Z82 as the heavy duty package, but does not explicitly call Z82 the "Max Trailering Package".  What i think is happening here is the Z82 is the Max Trailering Package on a Z71.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2014/chevrolet/Multiple Model PDFs/MY14 Trailering Guide_1113.13 - Equinox.pdf

So, now that I am unsure of what exactly my tow rating is, I just want to confirm I know the correct limits of my truck.

Truck: 2014 Silverado Crew Cab, LTZ Z71, Short Box

RPO codes that may help:

GU4: Axle, Rear, 3.08 Ratio

JD9: Brake Vac Power, 17" Disc/Disc, W/VSES, 7700 LBS

JL1: Control, Integrated Trailer Brake

KC4: Cooling System, Engine Oil

KNP: Cooling System, Transmission, Heavy Duty

L83: Engine Gas, 8 CYL, 5.3L, SIDI VVT, AFM, E85 MAX, ALUM, GM

MYC: Transmission Auto 6SPD, HMD, 6L-80

Z82: Trailering Package (Special)(Reese Type Hitch)

Again, I have the full build sheet so just let me know if that would help you guys help me :)

JD9 is the brake rating code, NOT the GVWR.  The brake system is rated up to a 7700lbs GVWR truck.  Z85 is the "high capacity" suspension code.  Z82 is Trailering Package.  NHT is Max Trailering Package.

With your 3.08 gears and L83 5.3, your max trailering capacity is 6,600lbs per the 2014 owners manual.  Your GVWR should be 7200lbs, and can be verified via your door jamb stickers.  Curb weight would be 7200 minus 1577 payload, 5623lbs.  Your GCWR should be 12000lbs. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1